Uic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdoe99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the University of Ill. Chicago IM program? How does it rate? Top/mid/low tier program? Anything good/bad?

Members don't see this ad.

have you tried using the search function?
Jdoe99 said:
Has anyone heard anything about the University of Ill. Chicago IM program? How does it rate? Top/mid/low tier program? Anything good/bad?

this is what i found for a thread from last year...

U of Chicago=U of M=Wash U=CCF>U of Wisconsin=Northwestern=Case Western=U of Iowa=U of Rochester>St.Louis=Ohio State>UIC=Loyola=Rush>the rest

uic is ward-based and rush remains half-private. this plays a big role in didactics. ccf is fellow-driven. u of m tends to be insular and less cohesive than u of chicago. haven't been to washu yet.

blah blah blah....

Jdoe99 said:

this is what I have heard as to how it fits in with the rest of the chicago programs:

U of C>Northwestern>>>>>> BIG DROP> Loyola> Rush> UIC=ENH

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is NW=UofC>>Rush=UIC>Loyola. I've heard that Loyola is very malignant and the residents are unhappy. Rush is private and the program is cush but there is no autonomy because you have to constantly clear things with each private attending. Also, the patient pop is very homogenous. UIC has the benefits of a VA population (which they share with NW) and also a public hospital pop. They tend to see a ton of pathology that most people read about and the residents have ALOT of autonomy. The program director is very focused on teaching and has set up many conferences to enhance that as well as a resident teaching program to teach the residents how to teach students and other residents. They also have this ongoing reading list that posts the most recent/revelant studies/articles for the residents to read. The also have morning report related to these reading lists. I don't think the program gets the credit it deserves. :thumbup:

chigirl, what about NW Evanston? I talked to one of the students who rotated there, said the transitional is pretty cush. Medicine wise pretty equivalent to Loyola, however technology is better and Evanston is a much nicer area and affordable. Any other info will help.