UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to uic? why did you go there? what are some of the positive things you have to say about it? what do you like about the school most?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you asked that question because I am also interested in UIC as a transfer student. Actually I just sent in the last documents of my application earlier this week. Basically I applied there to get a second major (probably in political science and russian minor) and I liked that it is a big school and that it is in Chicago. I don't know anyone who goes there. To be honest, I'm applying there as kind of a backup school, because I'm primarily applying there because of location and size of school. I'm also interested in anyone else's comments about the school

I am attending UIC next fall although I know not a single current student. The school felt like a perfect fit for my career ambitions and its urban setting. Price is a big factor and I can't rationalize spending the extra $$ for other Chicago private institutions which really don't offer more opportunity. Did you get in yet Ruby?? IM me if you want. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MedPuck,

Im actually interviewing there in mid feb...since I'm sure they're gonna ask "Why UIC"...i wanted to give them more of a reason than just price... what did you like about the school in particular? what did you like about their classes/facilities/facutlty or atmosphere ?
How was the interview process overall? do you Any tips? Thanks alot!!

medpuck,
i'm probably going there next fall too. do you have any idea of where it's better to live, on or off campus?

WFK, I will not be living on campus but I will move somewhere downtown in the early summer. Wish I could help you more. Areas that I like are Bucktown/Wicker Park, Lakeview, and suburban Oak Park, which is pretty close to the med-district. All are nice areas and semi-affordable for apartment rentals.

RealRuby, the interview day was short compared with other schools where I interviewed. There was one interview conducted by any combo of 2 admistrators/students/faculty. They focused a lot on my personal statements & experiences and did have an ethical question or two relating to some of the content in my statements. It was very comfortable and if this is not your first interview, I am sure you will agree! Be yourself and tell them why you want UIC. I wanted diversity/research opp's/urban setting similar to where I see myself practicing/plentiful opportunities for early patient exposure/preceptorship etc... Be creative and honest because they will read behind any b.s. Make sure your heart is in it and believe in yourself and know yourself. Of course they will ask you to tell you how you got there (experiences etc...). Relax and you will do fine. Send me a private message if you need more info. Best of luck!!

Hey guys, it is very likely that I will be attending UIC next year too...I was wondering about the housing situation too. Does anyone know if most first years live on campus? I have no idea what they are like, they didn't really mention them during the interview. Any current UIC student's advice would be great!

And Medpuck--do you know for sure you got the chicago campus? I turned in my site preference card last week and I haven't recieved word yet. I really hope Chicago wasn't full aready!

RealRuby--I didn't think the interveiw was bad at all. I asked a lot of questions about the school and the different campuses, and how UIC compared to other schools in the area--which I think showed them I was really interested in the school and knowing if it would be the right choice for me. I didn't get the general why UIC question, but I know they are big on the fact that they are very diverse in relation to student body and patients. Good Luck--I hope it goes well!

there's a decent chance that i'll be at UIC (chicago campus) next year too, although i can't say for sure yet. i really think it's a personal choice whether you want to live on or off-campus. the advantage to the on-campus housing is that it is literally right across the street from the school. we didn't get to see it at our interview although they mentioned that they are suite-style dorm-like apartments, if that makes any sense, and they're right above the student union. however, on a personal level, i like having my own 'space' away from school so i will likely stay in the same chicago neighborhood i live in now, as it's pretty close to campus and the nearby medical district hospitals. the area immediately around UIC isn't the nicest, safest, most exciting area. alternatively you could buddy up with a rush student (rush is right next to UIC), if you know any, and stay in *their* student housing, which is actually pretty nice.

good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back!

what is the student environment at uic? are students there competative like in he pre med arena or do most studens want to help one another

drjo2002, I received confirmation that I will be attending UIC-Chicago Campus within 2 weeks of submitting my card. I was accepted to UIC back in November when there were ample spots available. Hope you get it too! Good luck.

i got into the chicago campus after i was accepted in dec. i asked how full it was then and he replied that even if everyone who was accepted in that batch picked chicago that it wouldnt fill in the dec round. good luck. i may end up at uic. if so, i will probably live in oak park as i think i will be married by then!

Hello, all..

I'm a third year at UIC. Here's some answers to the questions...

1. living

many live on campus, many live off for the first year or two. I'd say possibly half-half. After the first two years, of course, we're all over the city at the various sites, so many people then move to bucktown (it seems!) or elsewhere. I live near campus, and find it convenient...

2. competitive

you can take the premed out of the student... well, competition exists everywhere i suspect, but it really isn't bad at all. people try to help, tutoring is really big, sharing resources all the time, and the coop system (the class gets together, hires someone from the class to write the notes for a lecture, and depends on that person...). Always a bad apple, but on the whole, it's really not a terribly competitive atmosphere.

3. any other questions...

Hello, all..

I'm a third year at UIC. Here's some answers to the questions...

1. living

many live on campus, many live off for the first year or two. I'd say possibly half-half. After the first two years, of course, we're all over the city at the various sites, so many people then move to bucktown (it seems!) or elsewhere. I live near campus, and find it convenient...

2. competitive

you can take the premed out of the student... well, competition exists everywhere i suspect, but it really isn't bad at all. people try to help, tutoring is really big, sharing resources all the time, and the coop system (the class gets together, hires someone from the class to write the notes for a lecture, and depends on that person...). Always a bad apple, but on the whole, it's really not a terribly competitive atmosphere.

3. any other questions...

i heard somewhere that uic is implementing an HP/P/F system of grading? Is this true?

True or untrue, are students graded relative to the curve?

thanks

RealRuby,
I believe this grading system already exists. I was told by my tour-guides (MS3 students) that there is some competition for the honors spots but as PimplePopperMD stated, you will see that everywhere you go. The class-size is large enough where you will find your niche and I presume you will spend the most time with students who have similar attitudes & ambitions as yours. I, for one, could care less about competing with classmates! Just focus on what matters and the rest will fall into place. Simple, but true! :wink:

Thanks pimple popper :D If I have more questions I'll be sure to ask you!

Yes, it is honors/pass/fail now...and from what I've heard some people really try for the honors but everyone else realizes they won't get it and don't agonize over trying.

question for pimplepopperMD:

everyone at my interview complained about the administration and how unresponsive they are to student needs. i've heard horror stories about people not being able to postpone exams to go to funerals, etc. i've also heard that exam questions are pulled from a huge, outdated question bank and may not even address material that is currently taught. to what extent are these stories true, and do you feel at all that administrative issues have affected your education? thanks in advance.

The administration at UIC is notorious. However, I have not heard of people who had to go to funerals and not able to postpone exams. That is quite extreme. In fact, everything at UIC, with respect to beaurocracy, is difficult. But that doesn't directly impact the education. In fact, many of us argue (and some residency directors have also said) that because we learn how to "fend for ourselves" so to speak during med school, we are aggressive about opportunities, and need no hand-holding, which makes us attractive to residency programs.

Truth is, the system at UIC is difficult, but DESPITE IT, you get by, and can thrive.