UICOM (Chicago) vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgoooooo

Reaction score
hi - help lol
from CA and dont have any connections to either Chicago or New York. Want to match back to CA. I am bias towards UIC and feel more connected to the school.

Einstein Pros:
-cheaper - overall around 60k difference
-convenient on campus housing
-diverse pt population
-higher ranking i guess - #39 for Research / # 69 Primary Care/ #52 Ranking by Residency Director
-strong research program but not very researched oriented
-less cold

Einstein Cons:
-they say they care about diversity but I really did not see it - seems like there is a lot of work to be done to address diversity #73 Most Diverse Medical School
- i had a difficult time connecting to any of the students/ did not vibe with the students- some students said some stuff i was like red flagggg
-no one could answer what the school has done to address racism- did not feel like i would be supported as a URM
- not sure if I wanna live in Bronx
- admin comes off much more disorganized
- starting new curriculum next year... dont know how i like being a guinea pig

UICCOM:

Pros:
- lovvveee the diversity impact and the changes they are doing to change for anti-racism curriculum
- #39 Most Diverse Medical School
- chicago seems like a fun place to be
- students are much more friendlier/happier/easier to connect to
- programs in place to make sure im supported as a URM
- consistently was impressed with the school

Cons:
- lower ranking / #55 for Research /#67 Primary Care/ #65 Ranking by Residency Director
- more colder
-more expensive

Members don't see this ad.

I would never pay UIC’s OOS tuition prices—especially since its name is much less prestigious than Einstein’s (which reflects in their respective matches)—but that’s just me.

I have to agree with the above statement. UIC's OOS tuition price is not justified unless you are awarded scholarships to help offset that high price tag. I would choose Einstein. Higher ranked and less expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
i appreciate both of your thoughts! its just very hard to pick a school you don't click with
It’s hard to know if you “click” with a school after just an online interview. Try not to let superficial “vibes” dictate where you end up for the next 4 years. You might end up loving Einstein. You might hate UIC. It’s super difficult to tell before actually starting school.

It’s hard to know if you “click” with a school after just an online interview. Try not to let superficial “vibes” dictate where you end up for the next 4 years. You might end up loving Einstein. You might hate UIC. It’s super difficult to tell before actually starting school.
I appreciate that. I think that’s where I am struggling because I feel this “vibe”. I had reached out to about 6 students each on both sides and had done individual zoom sessions with each of them. All of my Einstein ones were awkward/cold/not helpful/ students did not seem happy. Uic students were complete opposite. So my vibe was not just from interview but from other panels/second look and other zoom sessions I had done. It’s just tricky because it’s online/zoom.

I am biased since I'm likely matriculating to UIC-Chicago this fall, but imo the $60k price difference is worth attending a school you like. I'm also UIC OOS tuition, and it's really scary how expensive it is, but honestly med school is a long and difficult 4 years - how worth it is it to you, in dollars, to attend a school you like more? Don't you think that'll play into your success vs going to a school you don't like? If you were deciding between a full-ride and UIC OOS tuition, I would say follow the money. But $60k, while not negligible, sounds worth it in my opinion to spend 4 years somewhere you actually enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users