UICOM (Chicago) Vs EVMS (Norfolk)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitw123

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m seeking help deciding between EVMS and UICOM. As a background I wish to go into urology and I’ve heard UICOM has a solid surgery program. I’m in state for EVMS and oos for UICOM. My biggest con for UICOM is the oos price. UICOM ranks a bit higher and I feel I would enjoy Chicago, but is it worth extra debt? I do weigh program recognition a bit higher as urology residency spots are becoming increasingly competitive.

UICOM (OOS tuition ~78k a year)
Pro
- Chicago (City has more job opportunities for tech partner)
- Ranks higher
- Great and well established program
Con
- Expensive

EVMS (In state tuition ~ 35k a year)
Pro
- Heard great things about the program
- in state tuition
- closer to family
Con
- Ranks lower
- Smaller medical complex

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think uicom is worth the oos tuition if you can avoid it. Does evms have a home urology program?

Reactions: 1 user
You may need to find out more about urology program / rotation options in both schools. And if you want a competitive speciality, which medical school will give you that extra edge for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not pay the OOS tuition at UICOM. EVMS has a urology program and has taken their own students before for the home program.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an urology resident, both urology programs are similar and should have no barring in your decision. Go to the cheapest school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I’m seeking help deciding between EVMS and UICOM. As a background I wish to go into urology and I’ve heard UICOM has a solid surgery program. I’m in state for EVMS and oos for UICOM. My biggest con for UICOM is the oos price. UICOM ranks a bit higher and I feel I would enjoy Chicago, but is it worth extra debt? I do weigh program recognition a bit higher as urology residency spots are becoming increasingly competitive.

UICOM (OOS tuition ~78k a year)
Pro
- Chicago (City has more job opportunities for tech partner)
- Ranks higher
- Great and well established program
Con
- Expensive

EVMS (In state tuition ~ 35k a year)
Pro
- Heard great things about the program
- in state tuition
- closer to family
Con
- Ranks lower
- Smaller medical complex

Any advice would be appreciated!
I would not even considering UICOM as an OOS student. With the cost of living in Chicago, your education would be one of, if not the most, expensive in the country. EVMS is a solid school and the weather in Norfolk is moderate.