UIUC vs Loyola Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stritch2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
L

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If there's one thing I've learned from the application process so far far, it's to not put all your eggs in one basket and hope for one particular school. I know it's easy at the point you are to say to yourself, "I'm gonna go here, I'll do whatever it takes," but the process is way too random and cryptic to depend on getting into one particular school. That's why many people apply to 20+ schools. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but trust me. Don't go to a particular undergrad for the purpose of going to that school's med school (unless it's a combined program situation lol).

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely understandable. I definitely am aware that the application process is random and a perfect applicant may not get into a certain school, but my overall objective is to get into a medical school. Which is why I was wondering which of the schools, Loyola or UIUC, would give me the BEST opportunity to do so.

If you're asking which school gives you a better chance of getting med school, I'd say it doesn't matter, they're both good schools. I don't think "rank" in terms of these 2 schools matters. Maybe if we were talking Harvard compared to Loyola it would matter more. The only time rank would matter is if you are applying to ivy league med schools who are looking for ivy league graduates, or maybe a reason to explain a low gpa due to you attending a really competitive school known for grade deflation. But again, as far as UIC vs Loyola, I don't think med schools care about where they rank.

If you really think you will have more opportunities for research at one school that's one thing, but you should go wherever you can do well and get good grades.

Completely understandable. I definitely am aware that the application process is random and a perfect applicant may not get into a certain school, but my overall objective is to get into a medical school. Which is why I was wondering which of the schools, Loyola or UIUC, would give me the BEST opportunity to do so.

What year are you? How are your classes going? Are you finding a group of friends?

Med schools don't care what undergrad you went to, I've heard that from several adcom members independently of each other. Do what will make you happy :)

If you're asking which school gives you a better chance of getting med school, I'd say it doesn't matter, they're both good schools. I don't think "rank" in terms of these 2 schools matters. Maybe if we were talking Harvard compared to Loyola it would matter more. The only time rank would matter is if you are applying to ivy league med schools who are looking for ivy league graduates, or maybe a reason to explain a low gpa due to you attending a really competitive school known for grade deflation. But again, as far as UIC vs Loyola, I don't think med schools care about where they rank.

If you really think you will have more opportunities for research at one school that's one thing, but you should go wherever you can do well and get good grades.

What year are you? How are your classes going? Are you finding a group of friends?

These things. First and foremost, if you're enjoying yourself, finding friends and doing well, then transferring will almost certainly be more of a hassle than it's worth, *especially* considering how little a difference it will make for your admission to medical school. On the other hand, what will make a difference is your involvement in your current community/university. So, if you're liking Loyola, then get the most you can out of it in terms of academic success and learning about the medical profession! Good luck! :oops:

Would physics and orgo be too much to take in the same semester?

If you got good study habits, you should be fine in both of them. It will take some effort but you can do it.

No, don't transfer. It would honestly mean nothing. Stay at Loyola.

I took Orgo and physics at the same time and was fine, but I would recommend studying the summer after your sophomore year for the mcat then taking it in august. Also a physio class would probably help immensely

I'm an Illinois resident and chose to go to a private school over UIUC because I thought it would give me an edge. It hasn't. Undergrad school has almost zero bearing on med school admissions. Stay at Loyola and don't transfer - it'll be too much of a hassle, and your grades might falter as a result of adjusting to a new environment. Good luck with everything! :)

It really just depends. I'm an engineering student at UIUC and I absolutely love it here. Yes, it's extremely difficult but very rewarding. The research opportunities are limitless and the professors are some of the smartest in the world (my physics professor right now does leading research with CERN).

The biochemistry program is real good and it's known to be a fairly difficult major, apparently it's difficult enough for a lot of people to have their GPAs ruined though.

As for helping you into that specific medical school, who knows?

Last edited:
I am currently a student at Loyola majoring in Biochemistry with intent to go to medical school, hopefully Stritch. I am doing fairly well here at Loyola but I am considering transferring to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The main reason I initially chose Loyola was because I heard that Stritch School of Medicine, my dream school, gives preference to Loyola students. I later found out that this is not true. So I was thinking of transferring to the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign because they have a higher nation rank, more research opportunities, and a more well renowned Biology program than Loyola. Most people transfer due to financial situations or because they dont like the social life at a certain school, this is NOT the case for me. I strictly want to go to the school that gives me the best chance at acceptance into medical schools. Do you guys think it is worth it to transfer? I do like it here so far at Loyola and I have been to to UIUC before and I like it as well. Thoughts, opinions, criticisms are all welcome!

I'm not sure I agree with you that Loyola doesn't give at least some preference to interviewing their own students--I know quite a few people in my class who did their undergrad at Loyola. (Though I'm an M4, maybe things changed?). I think Loyola gives a little bit of a preference to those who went to Jesuit universities (I did), perhaps because people who go to Jesuit schools are more likely to engage in volunteer service, etc.

But honestly, if you don't want to transfer to save money, and you like the social situation at Loyola, then I'd personally recommend staying. You've already started building contacts in your department, and it'll be easier to get meaningful recommendations at a smaller school (not that Loyola is that small...) than a bigger public institution. My wife went to UC Berkeley--it's pretty hard for a professor to really get to know you there. On the other hand, if the professor does get to know you, they usually have bigger names in Academia and may be more recognized. Bigger universities also offer more choice in majors/classes.

Also, I was like you, and Loyola was my top choice. I actually did put all my eggs in one basket, and it did work out in the end (though it took an extra year of trying). I wouldn't recommend it, though honestly if you know one place is the "right place" for you, why not go for it? It's a huge risk, and in hindsight I'm really glad I took it, but it was pretty stupid... But I'd do it again--I got into my first choice med school, and I got to work another year (I highly, highly recommend anyone going to medical work full-time and support themselves before starting medical school...)

Although Loyola requires some hoops to jump through for a committee letter, it does provide a nice letter. UICU, like most huge state schools, provides very generic letters that aren't very informative and therefore aren't going to help toot your horn.

I'm not sure I agree with you that Loyola doesn't give at least some preference to interviewing their own students--I know quite a few people in my class who did their undergrad at Loyola. (Though I'm an M4, maybe things changed?). I think Loyola gives a little bit of a preference to those who went to Jesuit universities (I did), perhaps because people who go to Jesuit schools are more likely to engage in volunteer service, etc.

But honestly, if you don't want to transfer to save money, and you like the social situation at Loyola, then I'd personally recommend staying. You've already started building contacts in your department, and it'll be easier to get meaningful recommendations at a smaller school (not that Loyola is that small...) than a bigger public institution. My wife went to UC Berkeley--it's pretty hard for a professor to really get to know you there. On the other hand, if the professor does get to know you, they usually have bigger names in Academia and may be more recognized. Bigger universities also offer more choice in majors/classes.

Also, I was like you, and Loyola was my top choice. I actually did put all my eggs in one basket, and it did work out in the end (though it took an extra year of trying). I wouldn't recommend it, though honestly if you know one place is the "right place" for you, why not go for it? It's a huge risk, and in hindsight I'm really glad I took it, but it was pretty stupid... But I'd do it again--I got into my first choice med school, and I got to work another year (I highly, highly recommend anyone going to medical work full-time and support themselves before starting medical school...)
How are you liking Stritch?

I love it! It's exactly what I wanted. It isn't perfect, no medical school is, but I it was the perfect place for me. I could go on and on... If you have any questions about the program, feel free to ask.

I love it! It's exactly what I wanted. It isn't perfect, no medical school is, but I it was the perfect place for me. I could go on and on... If you have any questions about the program, feel free to ask.
Do you have any cons about the program? And what do you feel are its biggest strengths? How were your rotations, and how well do you think they prepared you for boards? Do you think they placed you in a good position to get the residency of your choice? Thanks for the help.

Do you have any cons about the program? And what do you feel are its biggest strengths? How were your rotations, and how well do you think they prepared you for boards? Do you think they placed you in a good position to get the residency of your choice? Thanks for the help.

I'll post my answers in the thread you started that I also posted in (sorry, I didn't notice you were the same poster!) That way others might find the info in the more relevant thread, since this one has more to do with choice of pre-med locations.

Thank you guys so much! One more question you may/may not kow the answer to. As a sophomore I plan on taking Orgo and Physics along with core classes. I plan on taking my MCAT during October-December, depending on when it is offered, of my Junior year in 2014 so I can avoid having to take the new MCAT in 2015. Do you recommend I do so? I would have gen bio, gen chem, physics, and orgo under my belt. Would physics and orgo be too much to take in the same semester? And do you recommend taking the MCAT during my first semester of Junior yer in order to avoid the new 2015 MCAT.

i took physics/orgo sophomore year - physics isn't too hard and orgo is hard wherever you go

stay at loyola, out of all the students they accept the 3rd largest group comes from loyola undergrad - i think the two schools in front are uofc and georgetown, or it might be northwestern - not sure about number 2 but after loyola there seems to be a mathematical drop in the next school