UIWSOM? NSU comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you thoughts on UIWSOM ?
Compared to RVU and NSU?
Would you say NSU is the best due it being the oldest/most established?

Members don't see this ad.

What are you thoughts on UIWSOM ?
Compared to RVU and NSU?
Would you say NSU is the best due it being the oldest/most established?

NSU has the most first year credit hours out of any DO school. Overkill IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd pick NSU over RVU. RVU has better board outcomes, but NSU has location and resources hands down over RVU.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd pick NSU over RVU. RVU has better board outcomes, but NSU has location and resources hands down over RVU.
I personally think RVU location is better. Colorado and not having to deal with sticky Florida

I personally think RVU location is better. Colorado and not having to deal with sticky Florida

I mean more along the lines of location for resources. Look how many hospitals NSU has near it vs RVU. Where do RVU students do rotations at other than sky ridge hospital? (I'm asking)

If you think there is substantial difference between NSU and RVU in terms of career outcomes you are kidding yourself.

This is a location decision. Area around NSU...is not nice in my opinion.

I think school name matters a lot and is very under-rated on SDN. There's more than one way to get a certain/competitive residency. Going to a school like NSU which has many competitive associated residencies can give you an additional leverage vs RVU that just has that one hospital and they can only compete with high board scores.

If you think there is a substantial difference between NSU and RVU in terms of name recognition, you must be from another planet.

Moreover I doubt quite seriously that name recognition makes a meaningful distinction for DO...most are at DO programs because they did not get an MD admit, everyone knows this.

NSU is in an interesting part of the country. Prospective students are well advised to stay there for 2-3 days to get a feel for the school.

I think it makes a meaningful distinction and I'll leave it at that. NSU gets a ton of students into Derm.

Have you looked at RVUs placements? It's nothing to shake a stick at.

And the area around NSU? I would say it's comparable in general hospitality to Bogota or most areas of Saudi.

Yes I have, which ones stand out to you even? Just the 1 IR match for me.

Have you looked at RVUs placements? It's nothing to shake a stick at.

And the area around NSU? I would say it's comparable in general hospitality to Bogota or most areas of Saudi.

Yes I have, which ones stand out to you even? Just the 1 IR match for me.

Firstly, I'd like to say that the RVU I'm referring to is the one located in Utah
Secondly, NSU is near miami right? how would that be compared to Saudi? Saudi is a desert...lol

Reactions: 2 users
NSU is known to have one of the most beautiful campuses out of the DO schools

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of education and residency opportunities which one is better NSU or RVU-Utah
a lot of people are saying that NSU's first year is killer? Why is that? NSU seems to have more connections ?

In terms of education and residency opportunities which one is better NSU or RVU-Utah
a lot of people are saying that NSU's first year is killer? Why is that? NSU seems to have more connections ?
They throw a lot of crap at us that is a waste of time for the most part. We have 30 credit hours first semester and 25 second semester.

They throw a lot of crap at us that is a waste of time for the most part. We have 30 credit hours first semester and 25 second semester.

do you regret going to that DO school? Deciding between NSU and RVU Utah

do you regret going to that DO school? Deciding between NSU and RVU Utah
It was my only acceptance so no haha. It’s really not that bad once you get used to it. We survived a hell week (3) after the hurricane messed up our schedule. We have finals coming up and i feel i can manage my time much better than the beginning of the semester.

If you think there is substantial difference between NSU and RVU in terms of career outcomes you are kidding yourself.

Hmm...I thought it was gorgeous! Probably the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. Amazing rec center, student housing is pretty nice. I think it depends on where you spend your time, but I definitely don’t think I would feel unsafe there.

oh good to know! how do you like the area?
The campus is really gorgeous and you have access to the undergrad portion as well. Davie itself is really crowded. I live about 8 miles from school but it takes me at least 30 minutes to drive every day. Traffic is terrible basically at any time since there are 3 other universities in the area and it’s right off an interstate exit. That’s the only complaint i have about Davie. I’ve never felt a sense of danger though.

Do you think living in Fort Lauderdale and commuting is a problem

Do you think living in Fort Lauderdale and commuting is a problem
There are many students that live in Fort Lauderdale and commute. You just need to give yourself time in the morning because traffic will be slow.

is lecture required?
what does your typical day look like?

The first semester's been pretty great! The professors are caring, the students are open and friendly, and the coursework isn't difficult. The professors here do their own research projects off teaching, so it's not hard request and get a research assistant position. The weather is as sunny we expect - since there's a convenience store, Starbucks, and about nine restaurants on-campus, we don't really need to drive off-campus. When us D.O. scholars toured NSUCOM, it was quite well-furnished and packed with students chatting away. The school also didn't smell like formaldahyde, in contrast to LECOM-E. We sat in on a lecture - the boys in the last row were browning games and facebook etc. So definitely try to get into the front seats, you don't wanna get sucked into that.

Re: NSU, I'd love to know more about the area and housing? Most apartments aren't doberman-friendly so I'd be looking to rent or live as a sublet in a house or condo.

Why are you harping on Nova’s location? South Florida is beautiful and greater than 90% of DO school locations. 10 min drive to Lauderdale, have you been to Las Olas? Easy to live in Lauderdale as Nova student. Area is beautiful and upscale. 30 minute drive to Miami. Average temp in January is 72...Nova’s location can hang with any school. You get mugged in south Florida or something? Can’t understand your disdain otherwise

The first semester's been pretty great! The professors are caring, the students are open and friendly, and the coursework isn't difficult. The professors here do their own research projects off teaching, so it's not hard request and get a research assistant position. The weather is as sunny we expect - since there's a convenience store, Starbucks, and about nine restaurants on-campus, we don't really need to drive off-campus. When us D.O. scholars toured NSUCOM, it was quite well-furnished and packed with students chatting away. The school also didn't smell like formaldahyde, in contrast to LECOM-E. We sat in on a lecture - the boys in the last row were browning games and facebook etc. So definitely try to get into the front seats, you don't wanna get sucked into that.

I am accepted to Nova and will most likely be attending. What do you mean coursework isn’t difficult? Looking at the curriculum for the first year it looks insane...kind of intimidating. Literally 30 credits first semester. Hoping you could clarify. I appreciate it...I was really impressed with the program.

I am accepted to Nova and will most likely be attending. What do you mean coursework isn’t difficult? Looking at the curriculum for the first year it looks insane...kind of intimidating. Literally 30 credits first semester. Hoping you could clarify. I appreciate it...I was really impressed with the program.

Nova's a solid program. I wouldn't be worried. Although ppl say their first year is rough, I don't know too much about that but that seems to be the only concern I've heard about.

wheres the best secure place around davie? would like to stay in a condo with a guard and gated