UIWSOM vs NYITCOM-jonesboro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zaitoun

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I have been accepted to NYITCOM-Jonesboro but waitlisted at UIWSOM; however, I attended UIWSOM's first interview of the cycle so there's a good chance I might get accepted off the waitlist. If such circumstance arises, I will have to choose between the two. I want to know what you guys know/think/suggest regarding the two programs. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

From what I know/understand:

NYITCOM has excellent residency placement rates, P/F curriculum, recorded lectures, many research opportunities, provides pathoma/first aid. They are established, accredited and have a good rep. They seem to be very community oriented and care a lot about their students. I don't how their clinical rotation sites are or how many they have.

UIWSOM also has a P/F curriculum. It is closer to my family, friends, and other people important to me since I am a TX resident. Staying in TX will perhaps put me in a better position to obtain residency here, and I want to establish my career in TX. I am somewhat familiar with San Antonio and comfortable with the urban vibe. They have good clinical rotation sites and I think they have done well for a brand new medical school. My support system and UIWSOM's access to GME is why I am leaning more towards UIWSOM; Texas is a pretty DO friendly state perhaps due to TCOM's presence. My only concern is that there are no board scores or a match list to evaluate the effectiveness of their patient based learning curriculum. Please let me know what you think; again, any feedback is appreciated.