UK graduate and getting into Orthopaedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBrit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm

Members don't see this ad.

Graduate with an general surgery residency is great and will help, but there is a few hurdles for you.
1.) you are considered an FMG even though it is from England. The percentage of FMG in ortho in the US is ~1%.
2.) You have not taken your step 1, 2, and 3. Even if you did outstanding on them, you are still at an uphill battle to get an spot in ortho.
3.) you have no clinical experience in the US, or letter of rec from orthopods from the US or connections

I think realistically, to get an spot here in the US, you would probably need to do research for a couple of years with an ortho department here, get your self into the door, scrube into a few cases, get to know the dept, then try to get an spot with them. In order to do this, you need to research and find out which program is FMG friendly, or talk with the PD or Chair before you start your research and ask them streight up, if you have a shot of getting a spot with the dept. That is the best advice I can give you. Applying streight into the match without exp in the US, either research or clinical, you will most likely NOT match or even get any significant number of interviews no matter how good you do on the Steps.

Thanks Wahoos, that's helpful.