uk student hoping to move to us

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringsurgeon101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i, im a first year medicine student studying at the university of cambridge in the uk. I have my heart set on working in the us after graduation in a surgical speciality. My dream would be to work as a neurosurgeon/orthopedic surgeo. however I have heard this is very difficult for an img so I am also interested in general surgery . I was just wandering if there is anything I can do in my first one / two years of my six year course that would make me more conpetitive. I was thinking perhaps coming to the us to do some research /obseverships . Would these make me more competitive and would I be able to do them in my first years of med school. I have found out about doing a clerkship/ elective in the us , however I thibk this can only be done in my final year ( could this also be done in previous clinical years) my course is divide up into two sections . The first three years are pre clinical and the next three are clinical years. When would be the best year to take my usmle s . I was thinking perhaps after my third year? Also I wss thinking of moving to a us school when I graduate with my undergratuate bsc degree after three years. Would I stand a chance of getting in after completing my first bsc degree. Just to clarify , over the course of my six years I get two degrees , the bsc and a degree in medicine and surgery

I aprreciate this is a lot of questions and no one will be able to answer all of them , but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When you signed up, you acknowledged and agreed to the terms of service, including not cross-posting. You are in violation of the TOS with this thread.

Oh , im sorry , is there any way I can delete ine of the threads?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.