UK vet school decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lagomorph2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been accepted into a UK vet school for this fall, but I'm having seconds thoughts about moving. My husband is really not able to move with me afterall, so we will basically be apart for the next 5 years (we've been apart off and on for the last 3 years due to his work and it's getting very old). Plus, airfare is pricey for transatlantic flights.

I could try to reapply this year; I would need to retake the GRE to improve my average scores, but I already have great experience. I would probably also try to do a 1-year masters degree in the meantime too to boost my overall GPA.

But what if this is my only chance to be a vet? Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

I did my undergrad in the UK and flew back to California about ever 6 weeks - sometimes just for a weekend, others for a longer stay. I did not think the airfare was particularly bad - the lowest I paid was $250, average about $400.

Why is your husband unable to move? Even if it is not this year, how about next? Would he be able to move accross the US?

It is a good opportunity and would be sad to miss it...

If you got in this year, I don't see why you wouldn't get into the same school again next year. My concern would be explaining why you didn't take the first offer, and explaining why this time is different... but I think the circumstances offer a sufficient reason.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Members don't see this ad :)
Iain said:
I did my undergrad in the UK and flew back to California about ever 6 weeks - sometimes just for a weekend, others for a longer stay. I did not think the airfare was particularly bad - the lowest I paid was $250, average about $400.

Ian, the prices have gone WAY up from that! Like $1000 round trip for a flight to and from California (at least from Glasgow). $800 if you're lucky. Often more than $1000 (I just paid $1200 with 200 more in fees to go graduate for one day!).

Iain said:

Why is your husband unable to move? Even if it is not this year, how about next? Would he be able to move accross the US?

It is a good opportunity and would be sad to miss it...

Well, prices have indeed gone up-when did you finish your degree? The cheapest I've ever found is $850.

My husband's field is very narrow/specific and after visiting, it became obvious that he would never find work in the city. I think it would be unfair for him to sit around for 5 years doing nothing (we're both in our mid 30's), not to mention that we need his income too. If I went to a US school, at least the airfare would be cheaper and there are a few major cities that he could easily find work within range of a school I would (*hopefully*) attend.

It would be very sad for me to miss out on this opportunity, especially if I never get into a school in the states. I've been working on this for 4 years now and it's frustrating to say the least.

I found 780 on kayak .
At x-mas. (ok, I admit, I ran it +/- 3 days at either end, so that's 25 dec-up to 8, I think, january)

It's where I hunt for my flights here. You have to remember though, the three cheapest cities to fly int'l out of in europe are frankfurt, paris and london. And they're really just a cheap ryan air flight from each other. So always check all three. (manchester isn't bad either, but... it's manchester)

I guess this is where you have to decide. And probably talk to your husband some more. Figure out what changed between it being ok to apply there, and actually going.

Because honestly? Turning down a spot, a guarenteed, you have it spot, isn't going to look great next year. And there's no guarentee you'll get into one of those schools in the US near where your husband can work. living apart in the same country is just as bad as living apart in different ones. Is there maybe a way your DH could work with his job to rearange his schedule? Some way that gave him more time off to go over and spend with you?

But then again I don't believe in delaying life dreams just because they make me or someone else uncomfortable. Which could be why I'm not married.

Have got me wondering what kind of field you can only work in a couple places, and only in the US...

j.

lazyjayn said:
Have got me wondering what kind of field you can only work in a couple places, and only in the US...

j.

Thanks for the fare info!

He freelances in advertising/movies as a model maker (you know, like when they need a giant coke bottle for print ads or set designs for orange juice commercials-weird, but true). He works between multiple studios in NY and unfortunately, not that many cities (even US) have an economy to support this type of work. Trying to do this in the UK (except maybe London), I think, seems unlikely. He has done some searching, but no luck yet.

I know it's all a plane ride away, but the extra distance seems more psychologically daunting somehow.

lazyjayn said:
Because honestly? Turning down a spot, a guarenteed, you have it spot, isn't going to look great next year. And there's no guarentee you'll get into one of those schools in the US near where your husband can work.

j.

Just curious, but how would turning down a spot look bad? I know that it must be listed on the VMCAS apps; but what if circumstances (health issues or whatever) came up?

Yeah, I know that US schools are no guarantee, hence the frustration. I could be 40 before I get in with a US school...

lazyjayn said:
You have to remember though, the three cheapest cities to fly int'l out of in europe are frankfurt, paris and london. And they're really just a cheap ryan air flight from each other. So always check all three. (manchester isn't bad either, but... it's manchester)

j.

I've been threw Heathrow more times than I can count......

Lagomorph2 said:
Just curious, but how would turning down a spot look bad?
If you look around in the med-school forums, turning down an acceptance in order to re-apply next year, for any reason no matter how good it sounds to you, is pretty much death for your application. (There's even one regular poster who's *on* an adcom and says at her school any applications that show a prior acceptance that was turned down are automatically thrown in the trash.)

I guess the idea being 1) why would you apply someplace you didn't intend to go, and 2) you're obviously not 100% no-holds-barred committed to this med school thing if you're going to get this far and then turn down an acceptance.

Things might be different for vet schools, and I'm just parrotting what other SDNers have to say, no personal experience. In the OP's case she might be able to argue her way out of #1 because her family circumstances have changed since the time she applied. But #2 is tough. I'm not saying it's fair, but if there *are* applicants who are willing to drop everything and alienate their families in order to attend wherever they're accepted, then why should a school do you any favors when you've already shown a tendency to be fickle...?

Oh, and before you do anything even close to turning down the acceptance, *call* all of the US schools you think you might apply to, and ask them how they deal with prior acceptances. Don't try to make a sob story of it, or someone might say unrealistic things to reassure you. Just ask directly, and insist on an answer. Probably making a phone appointment with the dean is best. Then you'll have a better idea where you stand before you decide to take the leap...

kate_g said:
Things might be different for vet schools, and I'm just parrotting what other SDNers have to say, no personal experience. In the OP's case she might be able to argue her way out of #1 because her family circumstances have changed since the time she applied. But #2 is tough. I'm not saying it's fair, but if there *are* applicants who are willing to drop everything and alienate their families in order to attend wherever they're accepted, then why should a school do you any favors when you've already shown a tendency to be fickle...?

In my case, family circumstances have changed after making my application (also, since it is overseas, we had no prior information about living experiences, etc to influence my decision). I know many people who would say to just tough it out and we are working through this, but I never wanted to choose between marriage and my education. In retrospect, I guess I should have just stuck with only US schools.

I totally agree with discussing previous acceptance with US vet schools, which I'm in the process of beginning. I suppose that it might be different with vet schools as there are only 28 US schools, but there are many more US medical schools. Just a speculation. I'll definitely know more by tomorrow. Thanks for the insight.

Lagomorph2 said:
I totally agree with discussing previous acceptance with US vet schools, which I'm in the process of beginning. I suppose that it might be different with vet schools as there are only 28 US schools, but there are many more US medical schools. Just a speculation. I'll definitely know more by tomorrow. Thanks for the insight.
Yes and unfortunately that means they can be more picky because there is definately no shortage of applicants. Hopefully this does not cause you too much trouble. Good Luck

So far, the people I've spoken with say that it wouldn't be an issue provided I explained my circumstances. Haven't received feedback from all schools yet; hopefully I will be enlightened soon.