Advice on Vet School Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adultingisscary

Reaction score
I applied this cycle and after getting rejected from most school including UF (my in state) after interviewing, so I'm left with my two acceptances to SGU and Midwestern. These are both very expensive options and I'm terrified of debt so l've been really stressing and researching a lot these days lol. I'm leaning towards Midwestern just for the convenience of staying in the states. In addition, l've considered reapplying but I'm scared since there's no guarantee I'll get anywhere next year and I haven't had the opportunity to improve my app a whole lot. In addition, it would consume another year which I rather not do. So l was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and accept Midwestern (looking at around 400k+) and do income based repayment until the tax bomb gets me on loan forgiveness which is scary to think about (praying that the government gets rid of it). Or if reapplying sounds like a better option. I was also wondering if it's even possible to live a decent life with that amount of debt, I get that I won't be rich Imao but just in terms of owning a house, an alright car, a practice, and maybe a family in the future. From what I've seen, most vets go that route in repayment since the 10 year repayment plan on a vets salary is only really possible if you have like 150k or less in debt or a VERY well paying job if it’s more than that. Thank you so much in advance, it has been rough this past month.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the loan repayment simulator to get a sense of how this is going to impact your life. The default settings aren’t super realistic at times so either do some research or try to find some way to have a newer grad help you out with it (if you can)

Considering you were able to get an interview with UF, personally I would lean towards applying a second round. There is a wide range of schools that admit OOS students for significantly cheaper than Midwestern. If you’re open to international as well, Edinburgh is a very financially doable option.

Maybe that amount of debt is fathomable right now but the job market might not be in favor of veterinarians for forever.

Reactions: 1 users