Ultimate premed plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telo78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several questions here: How many credits should you take per semester? I plan on majoring in humanities while taking all prereqs as well as calc, genetics, and biochem. How many science courses per semester? My first three years were at a community college taking two to three courses a semester. All perfect grades. How many semesters at a 4 year university with a full load should one take before applying? I realize schools need to see that you can hack it consistantly? What would be the ultimate premed plan? Is there anything you would have done different?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nevermind me asking if all I'm going to get is a bunch of the same old crap that losers post on forums.

Allrighty, I'll throw in my 2 cnets!

So graduated from a Community college? That means you have about 60 cr hours right?

Well if your new Univesity is typical, you need another 60 hours to get your degree.

Divide 60 (or however many credit hours you need to take to finish your degree plus your prereqs) by the number of semesters you plan stay at that school.

As long as you take a full course load as many semesters as you can (ie at LEAST 12 cr Hrs) most med school ad coms won't care. What good is taking 20 hours a semester if you get all C's???

The important thing is to keep your GPA HIGH and rock out on the MCAT.

... Oh and don't spend all your time trying to formualte the ultimate pre-med plan. Get good grades, do meaninful activites you enjoy (that look good on you application) but for goodness sake HAVE FUN!

Nevermind me asking if all I'm going to get is a bunch of the same old crap that losers post on forums.

I was actually serious about the drinking...I could've partied alot more and not have been as much of an academic overachiever and I would still be where I am today.

Several questions here: How many credits should you take per semester? I plan on majoring in humanities while taking all prereqs as well as calc, genetics, and biochem. How many science courses per semester? My first three years were at a community college taking two to three courses a semester. All perfect grades. How many semesters at a 4 year university with a full load should one take before applying? I realize schools need to see that you can hack it consistantly? What would be the ultimate premed plan? Is there anything you would have done different?

Ideally, all of your semesters would be fulltime. For most people, with a mixed courseload (some science and some other), this amounts to about 16-18 credits.

Several questions here: How many credits should you take per semester?
see above
I plan on majoring in humanities while taking all prereqs as well as calc, genetics, and biochem. How many science courses per semester?
That really depends on you. I'm taking bio and chem classes in the same semesters. Physics was done earlier.
My first three years were at a community college taking two to three courses a semester. All perfect grades. How many semesters at a 4 year university with a full load should one take before applying?
Talk to an advisor about this. You'll get a better answer.
I realize schools need to see that you can hack it consistantly? What would be the ultimate premed plan? Is there anything you would have done different?
I would have slept less than 10-12 hours a day and gone to class more.

I was actually serious about the drinking...I could've partied alot more and not have been as much of an academic overachiever and I would still be where I am today.

You definitely want to work hard and get good grades and MCAT scores, but please make sure to have fun too! I just know too many premeds who get so set on getting into med school they forget to also enjoy their undergrad experience.

I would agree that it is better to take fewer classes and do better then to overload on too many courses per semester. Usually two sciences classes per semester (+ the 2 labs) is more than enough. Trust me, 8 hours of lab a week is PLENTY. I can't give good scheduling advice without knowing everything about the requirements for your major and college, so I would meet with your advisor and have him/her help. They are there to give advice and they know your school's requirements best!

Hey, Q.Mechanic, is that man in ur Avatar rolling a joint? :idea:

If Schroedinger's Cat walks into a forest, and no one is around to observe it, is he really in the forest?

yes, but there is a 50% chance that the cat is dead.

What is the psi function that the cat, even if it is in the forest, will be in the exact same position in which the tree will land in order for it to directly fall on its head? Perhaps, if we know the exact position of the cat we could..., but then we won't know it's momentum and how can we possibly know if it can out run the tree! Gah, Heisenberg!

I am officially a pchem loser becaues I definitely LOL'ed in lab at work while reading this thread :laugh:

What is the psi function that the cat, even if it is in the forest, will be in the exact same position in which the tree will land in order for it to directly fall on its head? Perhaps, if we know the exact position of the cat we could..., but then we won't know it's momentum and how can we possibly know if it can out run the tree! Gah, Heisenberg!

:laugh: Hahaha... Yeah, that's good. Thanks for the good laugh. :)

a_heisenberg.jpg