Ultrasound lecture topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flightdoc09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm an EM resident that'll be giving a lecture on an ultrasound topic of my choosing. It can be anything that's not your standard FAST exam, or anything else that's been beaten to death. Long back story, but I haven't really done much with ultrasound over the past 3 years, and I need some help coming up with a topic that won't require significant research to find images, and that'll be something I can make in my spare time.

I was thinking I could do a potpourri of MSK stuff (tendon evaluation, rotator cuff tears, joint effusions, perhaps something else), or a lecture on the various types of artifacts seen with ultrasound and how to mitigate/recognize them. Chest ultrasound might be another area I can do stuff in, although I'm not sure that really falls in the domain of real radiology.

But, I'm open to ideas as well as if you have any good resources (like a textbook that covers all the artifacts). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MSK would not be a good topic. its super complicated and specialized and difficult. Chest is too basic...pleural effusion or not.

Kidneys would be good. Hydro, stones, cysts, masses. Pelvis or early OB would also be good.

Hey everyone. I'm an EM resident that'll be giving a lecture on an ultrasound topic of my choosing. It can be anything that's not your standard FAST exam, or anything else that's been beaten to death. Long back story, but I haven't really done much with ultrasound over the past 3 years, and I need some help coming up with a topic that won't require significant research to find images, and that'll be something I can make in my spare time.

I was thinking I could do a potpourri of MSK stuff (tendon evaluation, rotator cuff tears, joint effusions, perhaps something else), or a lecture on the various types of artifacts seen with ultrasound and how to mitigate/recognize them. Chest ultrasound might be another area I can do stuff in, although I'm not sure that really falls in the domain of real radiology.

But, I'm open to ideas as well as if you have any good resources (like a textbook that covers all the artifacts). Thanks.
Personally I think POCUS is an interesting topic even if I never interpret it myself. It's fun to see what other specialties have come up with in terms of the application of ultrasound. Chest I think is reasonable if you're talking about POCUS, the interpretation of the artifacts, and your personal experiences with it (i.e. whether or not certain findings are reliable), though you probably need a bit more than that to make a full presentation.

I agree with the above that MSK is not a very good topic, since you pretty much need to be scanning or have a patient in front of you for the images to make much sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Allow me to redirect you away from radiology turf. You can't go wrong with heart ultrasound. Supremely important for the emergency and critical care setting and you can go as deep as you want/have time for, from pericardial effusion to E/e' ratio, and there are tons of resources/images available.

Reactions: 2 users
MSK would not be a good topic. its super complicated and specialized and difficult. Chest is too basic...pleural effusion or not.

Kidneys would be good. Hydro, stones, cysts, masses. Pelvis or early OB would also be good.
A talk on the ultrasound criteria for early pregnancy failure would be a good idea for the EM resident audience. You're probably not thinking about doing transvaginal POCUS but understanding the criteria and limitations is nevertheless good to know, in conjunction with the b-hCG interpretation, so you can appropriately counsel the patient before sending them to outpatient OB follow-up.

Reactions: 1 user