UMaryland Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we supposed to type this UMaryland application out or what? Where does one get a typewriter anyways? I know I can't write well enough to write whole essays in those little spaces provided. What a pain. They should really get with the times and do an online application or at least allow us to download the application online. What I'm thinking is that I can scan it in with OCR software, reproduce it online, fill in the blanks, and reprint it. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

The state residency form is a pain too. So I registered to vote a long time ago in Delaware and never reregistered in Maryland and I work in Delaware. I've lived in Maryland for many years. I hope these things don't disqualify me. I guess I should change my voter registration, but they do ask the date that the registration was granted and if you used to be registered in a different state....

Blah

Members don't see this ad.

Nueronix,

From what I understand, you want to use the SAME form that Maryland gave you. If you don't, they'll mail it right back to you.

- Focus

Originally posted by Focus
Nueronix,

From what I understand, you want to use the SAME form that Maryland gave you. If you don't, they'll mail it right back to you.

- Focus

correct, Focus. as for the residency question, I believe if you have lived in Maryland as a non-student for a year or more at the time of application, then you are generally considered a MD resident for tuition purposes. If there is any confusion over this point, the state in which you pay taxes, your motor vehicle registration/driver's license state or origin, and possibly voter registration will be considered in determining residency. If you payed MD state income tax the year prior to application and have a Maryland driver's license AND meet the criteria for MD residency, then I don't think that your DE voter registration will really affect your in-state status very much. Also, UMAB does try to recruit DE residents (if by chance you are classified as a Delaware resident) since Delaware doesn't have its own medical school. They may even grant DE residents in-state tuition under certain circumstances; best to check with the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info Katie, that really eases my mind. I haven't filed state taxes in many years because I've been living on student loans, a meager income that doesn't require filing, and under-the-table work. Then again, I don't let anybody claim me, so I can grab the federal tax credits and get all the money the federal government takes from me. My car and driver's license are in Maryland. I bounce from place to place to live and I have been for years. This makes things really confusing for all official paperwork.

Well in any case, since I should be considered a resident, maybe that secondary is worth filling out :)

hey, no prob. it sounds like you are a resident (i got the tax credits for the first time this year since i just started borrowing lots of money to go to med school), so the secondary is without a doubt worth filling out. Maryland has an outstanding MD/PhD program; I don't know what the best dept. is to do MD/PhD in though. I worked and took grad classes for a while in the Dept. of Pathology, and they do not have a great reputation, but I do know several researchers in that Dept. that seemed like they would be good mentors. Maryland typically interviews about 40% of in-state residents and accepts about 40% of those interviewed. Typically, all the MD/PhD positions are filled by April, and people who are accepted to MD/PhD receive their MD acceptance about 4-6 weeks after interview and their combined degree acceptance 2 months after that (if they send in their deposit for the MD program). I did not apply MD/PhD because I am mostly interested in clinical work and my stats were not fantastic; I was waitlisted for the MD program but never taken off the WL. Anyway, good luck, if you have any questions hopefully I can answer them since I worked at UMAB for 2 years and a few summers and went to school in Maryland.

For my Maryland secondary last year, I used a typewriter for the bio info, then put "See attached sheet" for the other questions. My primary concern was not having enough space to adequately address the questions. Prior to doing this I called the admissions office and asked if this was okay. They said it was fine to use attached/additional sheets.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Maryland (I'll be startingthere next week :)