UMaryland vs UMiami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avhu10

Reaction score
I’ve been accepted with an $80k scholarship to Maryland, but I was waitlisted at UMiami today. I’m not sure if I should send a letter of intent to Miami soon, these are my pros and cons:

Maryland Pros:
- $80k scholarship + in state tuition after first year
- good trauma center (I’m interested in em)

Cons:
- I visited Baltimore and …. didnt really like it
- not that many great service opportunities
- not a large Spanish speaking population
- might have to live with my parents

Miami pros
- my significant other was also waitlisted, so there’s a very slight chance we both get off of it
- huge Spanish speaking population (I’m native and want to work with a large latino population)
- DOCS program is exactly what I want to get involved in
- warmth :(

Miami cons
- not sure if I would get a scholarship if I send a letter of intent
- more expensive col + tuition
- not as good of a trauma center ? But my speciality interest can always change
- if my SO doesn’t get in then I’m in a new city alone

I guess my biggest consideration at this point is how good of a school UMiami is? Both have a similar match list, I’m just not sure which would open more doors for me, but I really want to live in Miami and perfect my medical spanish. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Truthfully, I don't know that there's a massive difference in opportunity/prestige. UMD is very known for trauma/ED/surgical specialties and is a great medical school. UMiami is also a great medical school (though I'm less familiar with specifics but match lists are generally very impressive)

UMiami FEELS like a better fit and I can tell that's where you want to go, but if you're getting $80k off at UMD (Per year? Total?) it might be hard to justify some of the cost differential unless you know you will be unhappy at Maryland. Both should set you up similarly in terms of prestige, but if you're paying like $200k more for Miami it might not be that worth it?

Ultimately this is your call and if you think Miami is where you want to be, I don't think you should let anyone stop you from happiness. Loans are temporary and if they don't get in the way of your happiness then you won't regret taking your favorite choice!

Truthfully, I don't know that there's a massive difference in opportunity/prestige. UMD is very known for trauma/ED/surgical specialties and is a great medical school. UMiami is also a great medical school (though I'm less familiar with specifics but match lists are generally very impressive)

UMiami FEELS like a better fit and I can tell that's where you want to go, but if you're getting $80k off at UMD (Per year? Total?) it might be hard to justify some of the cost differential unless you know you will be unhappy at Maryland. Both should set you up similarly in terms of prestige, but if you're paying like $200k more for Miami it might not be that worth it?

Ultimately this is your call and if you think Miami is where you want to be, I don't think you should let anyone stop you from happiness. Loans are temporary and if they don't get in the way of your happiness then you won't regret taking your favorite choice!
Thank you! It would be $80k total, though I’m not sure if scholarships would be out of the question at Miami if I sent a letter, I’m guessing it could? I was also accepted at BU, would that open even more doors? I just haven’t really considered it much because it’s so expensive tuition and COL wise. Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! It would be $80k total, though I’m not sure if scholarships would be out of the question at Miami if I sent a letter, I’m guessing it could? I was also accepted at BU, would that open even more doors? I just haven’t really considered it much because it’s so expensive tuition and COL wise. Thanks again
I don't think they're any different in opportunity from BU as they're all sort of in the upper mid tier/lower high tier school range (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Personally, I think $80k more total (in the worst case of no scholarships/aid) would be worth it for me to go to a school I would be a lot happier at. I think if you look at it in terms of "I need to be happy in order to stay focused and successful on my schoolwork and maintain a healthy work/life balance" then it will help you gauge how you view the comparison between schools. If it's marginal happiness difference, then it might be better to take the money in the long run. If it's significant, then I say go with the better personal choice.

Regardless, you have clearly had a great cycle and congrats on getting some great acceptances! (all of which will surely set you up for success)

Reactions: 1 user
I think these 2 schools and BU are rather interchangeable in terms of reputation. All very good schools that come just after the first tier. Can’t go wrong with any of these choices. I think if the cost difference is under 100k, you can justify going to wherever you think you’ll be happiest; that seems like Miami. Obviously, you’ll need some scholarship money from Miami to make this possible. It would be a shortsighted move to pay anywhere in the realm of $150k+ for a school that offers nothing that UMD cannot, other than location.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Does the 1 year OOS tuition + 3 years of IS tuition at Maryland come out cheaper than Miami’s? Might bring up the difference to 100k then and depending on your relationship with your parents, it might be better to stay closer to them. Big question mark about whether your SO will get into Miami, and I don’t think they’ll actively try to take you both off the waitlist together if you aren’t married.