WesternU vs UMaryland

Started by joe ho
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

joe ho

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was fortunate to receive multiple DO and MD acceptance this cycle. However, it's hard to decide where I should commit. My main concern is the distance as this is will be my first time living away from home.
I'm torn between an in-state DO school (WesternU in Pomona, CA) that will allow me to commute from home or at least be close to my support system AND a better ranked school that is across the nation (UMSOM in Baltimore, MD).

Ps - cost is not the main concern. So, I'd appreciate any advice🙂) TIA
 
Only go to Western if you are certain that you want to go into primary care, pathology, PM&R, psych, EM, or neurology

Edit: even if you feel certain, keep in mind that most med students change their mind during school. I’d take Maryland in a heartbeat. Very good school.
 
What specialty do you want to do? DO is a fine choice if primary care is your passion.

Anything competitive, reputation and MD matters.