UMass-Boston thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone have reif for chem for night? if so, how was he?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people like his approach and others hate it. He's definitely more about grasping the overall concepts and so his tests are a little weird. I had him for Chem2 in the summer and we'd have these tests with 5 problems on them worth 20 points each, so if you blew one you were already in the hole. He's not the multiple choice kinda guy. Also, if you're taking the summer course be aware that you may not cover everything. I think we missed out on Electrochemistry, which is an essential for the MCAT.

yikes... that sounds tough. What kind of questions did these consist of? Could you give like an example?

I hear the other teacher is horrible (Satyamurti) so I trying to avoid her.

Members don't see this ad :)
He had us do a proof verifying the half-life of a second-order reaction. But he did that one for us in class. He is a chalk on board, no nonsense kind of teacher. The coolest part was that if we averaged 95's on the 3 tests, the final was optional.
His (Venezualen?) accent is a bit thick, but I liked the guy; a welcomed departure from the powerpoint happy teachers.

i like that optional test idea. Oh man. I am quite scared taking chem over the summer but whatever. Ill manage I hope.

Do you have any tips for me to prepare for summer chemistry 1 and 2? lol

It'll be fast-paced. Just go to class and do the work and try not to do too much outside of school. Don't be afraid to ask for help or get a tutor. UMass has a lot of support in place if you're having trouble getting the material.
Good Luck!!

Hi, could any current or previous students of this program tell me a little more about the admission process. The website is rather vague in terms of GPA requirement and such. I really want to visit the info session but still being in school all the way in the west coast is hard to make the dates. It this program very selective and if you don't mind sharing me your stats that would be very helpful. Thanks so much.