UMass-Boston thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
blankguy said:
I was in Dr. Pitcher's lab last fall. My bench was right in front of where he sat.

Oh, I was in one of the other rooms.(The one on the other side of the IR specs.) I knew most of the people in that room from previous classes.(Like Carol, Zi, Al, and Mimi.) Come to think of it the only person I knew from another room in that lab was Phil. (Too bad I didn't find this board earlier.)

Members don't see this ad.

boomerang said:
I have taken Kaplan Prep (2000). I heard princeton review was good.
As well as Exam crackers. Which one have you heard the best recommendations? Exam crackers is really expensive, I would rather
take something I don't have the books on (i.e Exam crackers,,???)

So who's orgo lab should I avoid?

Anyone taking Orgo in the fall??

:confused:

To be honest I'm not sure. The problem I had with Pitcher's lab was that there was too many students in it.(IE he had to help about 30 people which is about 6 minutes per person which isn't much.) I hear Pitcher is good if he gets a chance to help you and Cerny is good too. (Admittedly my only experience with Cerny was going during his lab time to do the IR spec lab. He was cool about it since that was the only thing I had to do and nobody was using them right at the start. I was raring to go and do my analysis.)

Jintonic - quick question which cell bio lab did you take, assuming you took it with lab.(I took it with Christian, just curious if you were in my lab.)

Dave

Dave_D said:
To be honest I'm not sure. The problem I had with Pitcher's lab was that there was too many students in it.(IE he had to help about 30 people which is about 6 minutes per person which isn't much.) I hear Pitcher is good if he gets a chance to help you and Cerny is good too. (Admittedly my only experience with Cerny was going during his lab time to do the IR spec lab. He was cool about it since that was the only thing I had to do and nobody was using them right at the start. I was raring to go and do my analysis.)

Jintonic - quick question which cell bio lab did you take, assuming you took it with lab.(I took it with Christian, just curious if you were in my lab.)

Dave

I am not too fond of Dr. Pitcher. He was too handsoff. I am not sure if it was because he wasn't familiar with the labs or he was just like that.

Cerny I heard is good. The IR specs and the melting points were a majjor pain in the neck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dave_D said:

Dave

i didn't take the lab-- i have a severe allergic reaction whenever i have to write a lab report :smuggrin:

blankguy said:
I am not too fond of Dr. Pitcher. He was too handsoff. I am not sure if it was because he wasn't familiar with the labs or he was just like that.

Cerny I heard is good. The IR specs and the melting points were a majjor pain in the neck.

Ok, this all sounds good. Anyone taken Bio II? I probably will take it this fall. It is either that or Chem I, what do you think?

boomerang said:
Ok, this all sounds good. Anyone taken Bio II? I probably will take it this fall. It is either that or Chem I, what do you think?

I just completed bioI and while I will continue my post-bacc at Harvard, I have many friends who will be in BioII...I think with Hagar.

If Hagar is teaching, take him...you will learn a lot. As for lab TA's try and and get Anny, she is a great lab TA...and don't be afraid of the evening lab section, it is way less crowded than the day sections.

If I were at UMass this fall I would be taking BioII and Chem...go get'em!

ock

ockhamsRzr said:
I just completed bioI and while I will continue my post-bacc at Harvard, I have many friends who will be in BioII...I think with Hagar.

If Hagar is teaching, take him...you will learn a lot. As for lab TA's try and and get Anny, she is a great lab TA...and don't be afraid of the evening lab section, it is way less crowded than the day sections.

If I were at UMass this fall I would be taking BioII and Chem...go get'em!

ock

Thanks ock! I may take both BUT I did physics in undergrad and got a B (1997-1998), do you think I should still take it in the fall?

The plan was to take Orgo I, Physics II and then Bio II (then sit in on the classes for Gen Chem I and maybe BIo I).

I was reluctant about coming to UMass because McSorley didn't make the program sounds like it was reputable or even successful at getting students into med-school.

I need to the know what SDN'ers think who are in the program!
BE HONEST

Thanks

Random thoughts and opinions about being a post-bacc premed in Boston, and Umass Boston:

I know plenty of folks who have gotten into med schools from Umass Boston, both as degree students and as post-baccs. My very good friend is a Michigan med alum, I know two Umass med grads, and through the bio and pre-med societies I know that folks go onto med school from UMB each year. However, look at UMB as the anti-goucher/bryn mawr school. NO ONE is going to hold your hand.

Not to stir the pot, but have you not considered Harvard extension? The classes are actually cheaper than UMB, it's open enrollment (though you can easily be accepted), and though my degree reads UMass Boston, I believe that it has an overall better reputation than UMB (at least it's the decision I made).

boomerang said:
Thanks ock! I may take both BUT I did physics in undergrad and got a B (1997-1998), do you think I should still take it in the fall?

What's your science gpa if you A all your other pre-reqs? I can't say yet as I'm taking physics this fall (along with chemI) at harvard, but given the opportunity to not retake, retaking would not be my first choice.

boomerang said:
The plan was to take Orgo I, Physics II and then Bio II (then sit in on the classes for Gen Chem I and maybe BIo I).

All together in the fall? Seems cool. Are you planning to mcat/apply this spring?

boomerang said:
I was reluctant about coming to UMass because McSorley didn't make the program sounds like it was reputable or even successful at getting students into med-school.

So what made you persist? Do you know someone at Umass Boston? Some folks love McSorley, some don't. I frankly have never spoken to her. I never thought she'd know more than anyone could find out online with the help of SDN.

boomerang said:
BE HONEST

It's fine. I just sat and thought about this, and I think Umass is fine. It's not great (facilities can suck sometimes--the garage is crumbling) and you bump up against many mediocre students, but if you work you will learn and you will get As.

But I expect more from Harvard this fall. Not that they'll teach the Cambell book better or my profs will be smarter, but I think that the focus of my peers will be greater. Not because it's Harvard per se, but because the person sitting next to me is trying to do the exact same thing I am.

ockhamsRzr said:
Random thoughts and opinions about being a post-bacc premed in Boston, and Umass Boston:
I know plenty of folks who have gotten into med schools from Umass Boston, both as degree students and as post-baccs. My very good friend is a Michigan med alum, I know two Umass med grads, and through the bio and pre-med societies I know that folks go onto med school from UMB each year. However, look at UMB as the anti-goucher/bryn mawr school. NO ONE is going to hold your hand.
Not to stir the pot, but have you not considered Harvard extension? The classes are actually cheaper than UMB, it's open enrollment (though you can easily be accepted), and though my degree reads UMass Boston, I believe that it has an overall better reputation than UMB (at least it's the decision I made).

What's your science gpa if you A all your other pre-reqs? I can't say yet as I'm taking physics this fall (along with chemI) at harvard, but given the opportunity to not retake, retaking would not be my first choice.

All together in the fall? Seems cool. Are you planning to mcat/apply this spring?

So what made you persist? Do you know someone at Umass Boston? Some folks love McSorley, some don't. I frankly have never spoken to her. I never thought she'd know more than anyone could find out online with the help of SDN.

It's fine. I just sat and thought about this, and I think Umass is fine. It's not great (facilities can suck sometimes--the garage is crumbling) and you bump up against many mediocre students, but if you work you will learn and you will get As.

But I expect more from Harvard this fall. Not that they'll teach the Cambell book better or my profs will be smarter, but I think that the focus of my peers will be greater. Not because it's Harvard per se, but because the person sitting next to me is trying to do the exact same thing I am.

ockhamsRzr said:

Ock, I don't need hand holding perse (graduated with 4.0 from Masters school in Public Health) I need to know that if I do hard work I will get good grades that med schools will look favorably upon.

I am from the south and never even heard of Harvard extension until I started searching for places to live in Boston. I applied to UMB because I did not get into med school this year (how could I my under G.P.A sucks!= 2.6/science G.P.A=2.3??). I just did so my peeps could get off my back.
I will look into Harvard extension. Why did you choose to go there?

I meant to say Chemistry. I got a B in Chemistry (1997) both sections.
McSorley recommended me retaking classes I received a C in.
I am also prepping for MCAT in spring so that is why I wanted to sit in on those classes

Yes-- will be taking it only got 9 and 8's last time BUT I am not a good test taker...ADD

Don't know anyone in Boston, it is the only Post-bacc I got into. I only applied to two (Drexel being the other). Thought I was a good candidate for Drexel but my school sent out my recc in June when I requested it in April.

I am not worried about bumping against mediocre students. I was once mediocre, not because I didn't have the apptitude but because I was not disciplined, unfocused and unsure of myself. NOw, I can work full-time and get a 4.0 in a Master in Public Health Program>>>>>testament to what a little time and discipline and confidence will do for a person.

boomerang said:

BE HONEST

Thanks

When you say the program do you mean the post bacc premed program? They only reinstated it last year.(And mostly so people could sign up earlier for classes and get financial aid.) There was no linkage or anything so if you were going to join so you'd have a better shot at med-school it'd be pointless. Actually Bonnie(the premed society president.) has told me UMB actually does fairly well at getting their premed to medschool.(Sorry, don't have the numbers but she made it sound like our numbers were on par with other schools around.)

As for taking Bio I this fall that would probably be with Prof. White. My take on him(since I had him for Bio I) is that he's a good prof for getting the big picture view. (He doesn't require you to memorize any organic structure, etc. but he tries to get you to apply concepts like knowing how this process works what would happen if I changed something.)

Personally I like UMB but like everyone says it's what you put in. The professors are willing to help you if you show interest in their subject matter.(Now at BU I never got that feeling. The impression I have of my BU profs is if you weren't working on a research project for them you could go F off :D .)

Please don't take this as an ad for Harvard...but I think the more you find out about the Health Career Program at Harvard Extension (or, HCP at HES), the more you may like it.

Read the official thread from 2004 and 2005 in this forum and it will answer every one of your questions (twice!). It is a nationally regarded program whose sponsorees meet with great success. It also happens to be the single best deal in Boston (if not nationally) for a regarded post-bacc program...$800/4 credit science class. Also, it's open enrollment, so you can just sign up, pay and take the classes. If you want to be sponsored (composite letter of rec from HCP), you have to fill out a two-page app and the concensus is that admissions is very easy, but being successful with sponsoship (3.0 GPA and 30 MCAT) is on you.

If you read the threads I mention you'll see plenty of alums who chime in with their success stories and how the harvard classes are looked upon very well by adcoms.

Please don't misconstrue my excitement for HArvard as a slag againt UMB. My wife and I are both alums and we both earned fantastic educations there. However, I also won't tell you one thing while I do another. I strongly considered my old school for my post-bacc (heck I even considered TUfts, Brandeis, Bennington and Penn), but given all criteria (cost, scheduling, reputation, quality of education, quality of peers, location and proven track record of success), Harvard extension is tough to beat, and if you live in Boston, it's impossible to beat.

Oh, I also work at Children's hospital and get two free classes per year!!

please feel free to ask any questions either here or PM,

ockham

boomerang said:
Ock, I don't need hand holding perse (graduated with 4.0 from Masters school in Public Health) I need to know that if I do hard work I will get good grades that med schools will look favorably upon.

I am from the south and never even heard of Harvard extension until I started searching for places to live in Boston. Why did you choose to go there?

I am not worried about bumping against mediocre students. I was once mediocre, not because I didn't have the apptitude but because I was not disciplined, unfocused and unsure of myself. NOw, I can work full-time and get a 4.0 in a Master in Public Health Program>>>>>testament to what a little time and discipline and confidence will do for a person.

Hey, whichever school will do the job is fine with me. Both of them will get it done. Going to school in Boston has got to amount to something :thumbup:
It all depends on the type of environment that will allow an individual to excel. Because the bottom line is they(med schools) want to see the A's not excuses as to why one didn't get A's. BTW Ock why are you boosting Harvard on a UMB thread? :D Get your own Harvard thread! :smuggrin:

Ock if Harvard does the job for you great!

blankguy said:
Hey, whichever school will do the job is fine with me. Both of them will get it done. Going to school in Boston has got to amount to something :thumbup:
It all depends on the type of environment that will allow an individual to excel. Because the bottom line is they(med schools) want to see the A's not excuses as to why one didn't get A's. BTW Ock why are you boosting Harvard on a UMB thread? :D Get your own Harvard thread! :smuggrin:

Ock if Harvard does the job for you great!

after having taken classes at both, i personally find that the umb environment is much more supportive, esp for post-baccer's who have screwed up in the past. harvard classes were excellent also, but i personally felt intimidated by the other post baccers (phd in infectious disease from ucberkeley, mba from uva, etc... you get the idea), when what i needed was a place that was more positive and friendly.

but i might just be biased against harvard b/c i believe that institution is pure evil :p

Members don't see this ad :)
jintonic5 said:
after having taken classes at both, i personally find that the umb environment is much more supportive, esp for post-baccer's who have screwed up in the past. harvard classes were excellent also, but i personally felt intimidated by the other post baccers (phd in infectious disease from ucberkeley, mba from uva, etc... you get the idea), when what i needed was a place that was more positive and friendly.

but i might just be biased against harvard b/c i believe that institution is pure evil :p

Heh, no you've got Harvard confused with Boston University :laugh:
Ok, let me be serious and say I found the same to be true UMB. (I had a screwed up past at BU, not that any one there really gave a sh**. UMB has done vastly more for me than BU could ever hope to do. I find it quite funny that BU now sends me letters begging for money, oh I'm sorry asking for a donation.)

Ok, maybe I'm the tiniest bit bitter ;)

Dave_D said:
Heh, no you've got Harvard confused with Boston University :laugh:
Ok, let me be serious and say I found the same to be true UMB. (I had a screwed up past at BU, not that any one there really gave a sh**. UMB has done vastly more for me than BU could ever hope to do. I find it quite funny that BU now sends me letters begging for money, oh I'm sorry asking for a donation.)

Ok, maybe I'm the tiniest bit bitter ;)

When you have Harvard and UMB, what's the point of considering BU? :p

blankguy said:
When you have Harvard and UMB, what's the point of considering BU? :p

Oh that's easy, because when you're a teenager you actually believe BU when they tell you they're in Harvard's league. :oops: (The only thing BU has that's in Harvard's league is the cost of tuition.)

Of course maybe they've changed since when I went there as an undergrad(15 years ago) but I doubt it.

Dave_D said:
Oh that's easy, because when you're a teenager you actually believe BU when they tell you they're in Harvard's league. :oops: (The only thing BU has that's in Harvard's league is the cost of tuition.)

Of course maybe they've changed since when I went there as an undergrad(15 years ago) but I doubt it.

Hahahahaha! You fell for that? :laugh:

Okay, all kidding aside BU is :thumbdown:
I was not impressed by their postbacc premed program.
I prefer UMB. Takes a little getting used to but I believe it will do just of a good a job if not better. :thumbup:

Has anyone taken this?

I am trying to decide between this and genetics for the fall.

How is the course load and is it hard as nails or is it doable?

Thanks

Biochem is one of Hagar's favorite classes--he was always promoting it in our BioI class. I also really liked him. I think he is totally fair with his exams and grading and just generally loves teaching science and encouraging pre-meds.

The other thing about Hagar is that he is one of the Umass old guard. He's been there forever and is representative of the best kind of Prof that you'll find at UMB: very dedicated to helping students both in and out of his classrooms.

One of things that used to make me laugh is he would get done with a head spinning lecture on say metabolism and then stop and look at everyone and say, "kinda neat don't you think?" Most people were yawning or cross-eyed and he's up there truly excited about the subject matter.

As far as genetics or Biochem, I would think that biochem would look better, but genetics might be easier. You make the call but either way, Hagar is terrific.

ock

I was told recently by a friend in medical school that microbio is
an important class to take because you will see in in first year
and the step ones.

Has anyone taken this at UMass?

boomerang said:
I was told recently by a friend in medical school that microbio is
an important class to take because you will see in in first year
and the step ones.

Has anyone taken this at UMass?

microbio isn't too bad. haven't taken it at umass, but the subject matter itself is fairly straightforward if you understand molec.cell.biochem stuff from general bio.

Question: do you guys know if BCPM would include classes from the nursing school? i mean the ones that are NOT cross-registered, like medical microbio.

jintonic5 said:
microbio isn't too bad. haven't taken it at umass, but the subject matter itself is fairly straightforward if you understand molec.cell.biochem stuff from general bio.

Question: do you guys know if BCPM would include classes from the nursing school? i mean the ones that are NOT cross-registered, like medical microbio.

I believe the BCPM would include microbiology and any class that is
related to biology, chemistry, etc. For example, I took Epidemiology
in my Masters program and it was counted as a science and Biostats
was counted as math course.

Question: Does anyone know what text will be used for Orgo this
fall?

boomerang said:
Ok,

This info is great. It sounds like it will be

Fall: G Chem I, Orgo I and Physics II ( sit in on Bio class with Hagar)
Spring: Orgo II, Bio II, and Biochem/Math??

I am going to take your advise on G Chem, I agree it is very important.

I know you said you wont be here for a few weeks but
I was wondering how you prepared for the MCAT. Did you
take it the spring?

Thanks

Boomerang, it looks like you're getting a lot of valuable feedback from other UMB students. That's great.

Regarding my MCAT experiences, I took the April MCAT. During that semester I was taking Organic II and Physics II. I was fortunate to be in a financial situation where I only had to work about 10 hours a week. So between those two classes and the 10 hours per week working, I was able to dedicate a LOT of time to the MCAT.

Basically, the approach I took with UMB at that time was to ONLY TAKE CLASSES THAT WOULD HELP ME FOR THE MCAT. I saw other people stuffing their schedules with upper level bio courses - Immunology, Microbiology, etc. - thinking it would help them with the MCAT. Those people wasted valuable time learning all 20 steps of the Complement system (not on the MCAT) and did not give themselves the time to review basic things that were guaranteed to be on the MCAT (electrostatics, A/B chemistry, kinematics, etc.). Consequently, these people did not do too hot.

So, my recommendation is to only take the "core" 8 classes between now the MCAT. Mastering electrostatics (from Physics II) is 100 times more important than all 12 steps of glycolysis (which you will have to learn in Biochem, but is overkill for the MCAT). A+P might help, as will Biochem, but don't let those classes take you away from reviewing the core material that will undoubtedly show up on the April MCAT.

In addition to my classes at UMB, I used all the Examcrackers books and then all the AAMC practice tests. I did not use a prep class, because I felt I could study more effectively on my own. I ended up doing very well on the MCAT, to the point where I went and taught the MCAT for Kaplan.

Any more questions let me know.

Hey Guys,

Sorry to interrupt, but i just wanted to get some information (non-biased of course) on a topic that I know has come up over and over again on SDN. I have been accepted into both Tufts and UMASS for post-bacc and need to make up my mind where to start in the fall. I'd be lying if I said I was not drawn to Tufts for the name recognition over UMASS, as well as the obvious differences in structure and advising. Price is a fairly big factor, and I know I would be saving about $12,000 over the course of the program if I did it at UMASS.

My question though, in addition to just the general "success story" fishing is what sort of relationship does UMASS Boston have with UMASS-Worcester Med School (if any). Being a Mass resident already, I am heartset on going to UMASS Med (< $10k a year to go along with its reputation). Would there be any advantage to pursuing a UMASS to UMASS transition or would I actually be better off doing well at a more "intensive" program like Tufts.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

I gave some thought to Tufts after the fact (when I found out about their linkage program), but I was already set to go to UMB at that point. As you said, UMass Boston post bac is a lot cheaper. It's also a lot more flexible and less standardized, which can be both good and bad I suppose.

The downside to UMass is that there is no official linkage to UMass Worcester, and as far as I was told there is no admissions advantage to the UMB program with regard to UMass medical either.

Tufts on the other hand has a couple of linkages (one is a guaranteed admissions to a DO medical school given the coursework is completed with certain grades, the other is a guaranteed interview at Tufts Medical, again, you have to complete the coursework with certain grades). The major reason I gave some thought to Tufts post bac was because these linkages allow you to skip the "glide year" and start medical school a year earlier. Of course, if your prime target is UMass medical, this feature might not be very relevant to you. As far as the actual coursework at UMass and how well it prepares you, I can't yet comment because I've just started. Good luck.

DPPM said:
Tufts on the other hand has a couple of linkages (one is a guaranteed admissions to a DO medical school given the coursework is completed with certain grades, the other is a guaranteed interview at Tufts Medical, again, you have to complete the coursework with certain grades). The major reason I gave some thought to Tufts post bac was because these linkages allow you to skip the "glide year" and start medical school a year earlier..

This isn't entirely tue. Tufts has no guarantee of admissions to UNECOM (DO). What they do have is a linkage with UNE as well as an erly acceptance program whereby you apply the TUfts post-bacc AND UNECOM at the same time, on the same app. IF tufts accepts you they forward your app to UNECOM where they may or may not accept you for a future class. You need to take the MCAT but otherwise you know BEFORE you begin Tufts that you are in at med school.

I found this option very attractive; enough so that even though I will be at Harvard Ext in the fall, I will also pay the $50 app fee for Tufts and apply to the joint acceptance. UNECOM is one of my top choices (due to family and location) and it would nice to see if I could gain accpetance (though non-binding) now as a candidate.

Best of luck,

ockham

mferronibc said:
Hey Guys,

Sorry to interrupt, but i just wanted to get some information (non-biased of course) on a topic that I know has come up over and over again on SDN. I have been accepted into both Tufts and UMASS for post-bacc and need to make up my mind where to start in the fall. I'd be lying if I said I was not drawn to Tufts for the name recognition over UMASS, as well as the obvious differences in structure and advising. Price is a fairly big factor, and I know I would be saving about $12,000 over the course of the program if I did it at UMASS.

My question though, in addition to just the general "success story" fishing is what sort of relationship does UMASS Boston have with UMASS-Worcester Med School (if any). Being a Mass resident already, I am heartset on going to UMASS Med (< $10k a year to go along with its reputation). Would there be any advantage to pursuing a UMASS to UMASS transition or would I actually be better off doing well at a more "intensive" program like Tufts.

i don't think 12,000 is worth going to tufts over umb. if you go to umb, make good grades, but more importantly LEARN a lot, you can't go wrong. I've been doing research on UMB, and it's got a pretty good name considering it's a commuter state school. also, if you do well on the mcat, that will act as an equalizer to offset university "name-prestige." i'm sure adcoms would rather see a student with 4.0/30+ from UMB than a 3.6/28 from tufts.

just my $0.02

Thanks for your input. It is very valuable for me.

I also thought that I should concentrate on classes that would help
me in the MCAT instead of trying to get upper level classes to pad
my GPA. I thought that I should take Orgo II and Physics II in the
fall and Biochem, Bio II, Microbio and Orgo I in the fall.
This way I have a full course load and I can prove I have what it
takes.

I think I will stick with that schedule because it would be to my greatest
advantage.

I was considering taking a prep course but it is expensive and I am
not a Mass resident so going to UMass will be expensive as well.
But, I am not a good test taker and studying on my own
may not be advantageous seeing that I will be taking the MCAT for the
FOURTH time.

If there is any more advice you have for me please let me know.

An interesting Umass Boston anecdote.

There was a girl I met in the pre-med society at UMB this past spring who was accepted and is attending Umass medical this fall. I asked if during her interview they showed her any love because she was in the Umass family. Apparently the love came in the form of a question along the lines of, "how do you feel your UMB education stacks up against and prepared you for medical school say, compared to Harvard?"

She told me that her answer wasn't a home run but that they were intrigued to hear what she beleived was the difference. In any event, at the shin-dig Umass medical had to greet the new incoming class, the Dean came over and told her that he was really pulling for her and that he was glad that she decided to stay in the UMass family.

My feeling about Umass medical (my absolute first choice school) is that the Umass family-thing is pretty inconsequential.

Ock

mferronibc said:
Hey Guys,

I did my undergrad at Tufts, and evaluated the Tufts post-bacc program before I decided upon UMass. I can't express how happy I am with my decision to do my post-bacc at UMB.

I was a science major at Tufts, so I know what the science classes are like. You will be surrounded by hyper-competitive (and sometimes backstabbing) undergrads. In the beginning of a class like Chem I, you may have like 250 people in it. Halfway through, only 150 will be left, because the first 100 couldn't hack it. In order to get an A in a class like Gen Chem I, you will have to go above and beyond the normal expectations of the teacher. This is not to say that getting A's at UMB is easy; it is just that getting A's in Tufts science classes requires a lot of work and even some luck.

While at UMB, I encountered three people who had started post-baccs at Tufts and then left in the middle to attend UMB. They had various reasons: cost, competition, etc. But they all did much better at UMB and I know at least 2 of the 3 got into where they wanted to go (one got into vet school, the other into med school).

Tufts may have a better name... but it is debatable if that will be a deciding factor. With my UMB post-bacc, I even got into Tufts Med (I declined cause it was WAY too expensive). To me, I knew that if I got good grades, good recs, and did well on the MCAT, I would get into school. UMB allowed me to do that, and for a fraction of the cost that Tufts would be.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your decision. Wherever you go, make sure you are in an environment where you think you can get A's. If you do well in your classes and on the MCAT, it doesn't matter where you do your post-bacc (in my opinion).

And if you are scheduled to take Chem I with Dewald at Tufts, look out!

That's a great post Ncalcate...should be required reading for new post-baccers regardless of the specific schools in question. Find the place where you will succeed, avoid the distractions, and do the work you know you have to do.

ock

Good info guys, thanks! The pros deifnitely are seeming to outweigh the cons. How many students roughly are in the UMASS post-bac? Are a majority of classes with undergrads?

mferronibc said:
Good info guys, thanks! The pros deifnitely are seeming to outweigh the cons. How many students roughly are in the UMASS post-bac? Are a majority of classes with undergrads?

All the classes are with the rest of the undergrad population. The difference however is that the average age of a ugrad at Umass will be older than most other private schools, say, Tufts or Brandeis. I am 34 and this past spring I easily had folks older, younger and about the same age in all of my classes and lab.

The only thing I will add is that as an urban, commuter campus with a mission to serve the folks of the city, you can sometimes have kids who are woefully unprepared for even sitting through a lecture. There were a handful of times when kids were just openly talking about nothing in the back of the lecture hall. Basically the elders of the class had to take it upon themselves to apply some passive discipline and tell them to "shut up".

However, I would also say that competition was essentially non-existent in my bio class. Those who were there to get A's did so without interruption and the rest kept on distracting themselves. One dude in my lab though did ask a bunch of us if he could copy our labs...riiiight.

Personally I'm hoping for a slightly more serious group of peers at Harvard extension...albeit with more competition.

ockham
ps. the average curve on our exams was 9 points

Everything that ockhamsRzr said about UMB was right on. When I first arrived at UMB, I was a little shocked, as my only college experience was at Tufts. There are lots of students who are not quite so motivated. And it definitely has that urban feel to it, especially with lots of concrete buildings. But I very quickly adjusted. You won't be at UMB to make lots of friends or to re-live your college days - there aren't any keg parties on the weekend at a fraternity. You'll be at UMB to take the core classes, to study hard, and to prep for the MCAT. UMB has everything you need to do that.

As for competition, I encountered some more competitive folks in Organic, and perhaps to a lesser degree in Physics. In each class there are post-bacc premed types, but not the types of people who would steal your notebook to make you do poorly. You basically just tune out most of the non-serious students and focus on your studies. If you want to hang out with people, you will encounter a fair number of post-bacc students who are doing exactly what you are doing. All of the classes are with undergrads and with post-baccs, although many of the undergrads will be older than you!

As an anecdote, when I was an undergrad at Tufts, many of my pre-med friends used to take Organic at UMB and Harvard during the summer, because the Tufts Organic professor gave out so few A's.

boomerang said:
Thanks for your input. It is very valuable for me.

I also thought that I should concentrate on classes that would help
me in the MCAT instead of trying to get upper level classes to pad
my GPA. I thought that I should take Orgo II and Physics II in the
fall and Biochem, Bio II, Microbio and Orgo I in the fall.
This way I have a full course load and I can prove I have what it
takes.

I think I will stick with that schedule because it would be to my greatest
advantage.

I was considering taking a prep course but it is expensive and I am
not a Mass resident so going to UMass will be expensive as well.
But, I am not a good test taker and studying on my own
may not be advantageous seeing that I will be taking the MCAT for the
FOURTH time.

If there is any more advice you have for me please let me know.

wait a second-- you want to take orgo II and physics II in the FALL? i don't think they offer those in the fall at umb. i could be wrong, i'm i'm fairly certain.

jintonic5 said:
wait a second-- you want to take orgo II and physics II in the FALL? i don't think they offer those in the fall at umb. i could be wrong, i'm i'm fairly certain.

Sorry,

I meant that I want to take Orgo II and Physics II in the SPRING.

But Physics II is offered this fall.

Hi All!!

I just got accepted to the UMASS Post Bac and I have a few questions:

1. I know UMASS is a Post Bac Program. My problem as an undergrad was that I had a pretty decent GPA, but HORRIBLE MCAT scores. Is UMASS strong at providing MCAT help? I kept reading the website, but I found no insight from it.
2. I'm in search of housing, but am lost because I've never been to Boston. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe and within walking distance place to live.
3. Do you know if they have any sort of linkage program to a medical school? Linkage is always good.

Anyhow, I'm sorry to burden everyone with all my questions. I'm just so lost-AH!

I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

Nina

Angelanin said:
Hi All!!

I just got accepted to the UMASS Post Bac and I have a few questions:

1. I know UMASS is a Post Bac Program. My problem as an undergrad was that I had a pretty decent GPA, but HORRIBLE MCAT scores. Is UMASS strong at providing MCAT help? I kept reading the website, but I found no insight from it.
2. I'm in search of housing, but am lost because I've never been to Boston. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe and within walking distance place to live.
3. Do you know if they have any sort of linkage program to a medical school? Linkage is always good.

Anyhow, I'm sorry to burden everyone with all my questions. I'm just so lost-AH!

I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

Nina
Nina,

I don't remember anyone mentioning MCAT help in this program.

Have you taken a prep course before? Maybe, when you take it
(the MCAT again) you can study with others who are taking it.

Read the personal message I sent you on housing.

Best of luck

so i was having problems enrolling in courses via phone/on-line b/c credits didn't transfer blah blah blah... anyhoo, i emailed the professors about my previous coursework, and they said i could enroll with their permission no sweat.

but ok, so i have their permission via email-- now what? do i have to trek down to campus and enroll at the biology office? just show them the emails that the professors sent me? or just call up the biology dept?

i know i could probably just call and ask... but i'm lazy :p

Looks like I'm taking Math115 and BioII during summer sessionII. 5 weeks now saves me a year in the app process! Anyone else one campus for session II

ockham

whatare you guys taking?

i'm taking endocrinology, immunology, genetics, biochem.

I am, I'm taking Orgo II this summer session.(I mean if I don't take it now I'd either have to go else where in the fall or take it in the spring.)

Anybody taking Biochem and A & P this fall. I am really annoyed that Biochem and cell Bio are at the same time slot :mad:

blankguy said:
Anybody taking Biochem and A & P this fall. I am really annoyed that Biochem and cell Bio are at the same time slot :mad:

i'm taking biochem!

jintonic5 said:
i'm taking biochem!

From what I hear Biochem is a little easier than orgo.
Pitcher tends to throw tricky questions at you in his exams while Hagar is straight forward.

has anyone taken intro to stats? i'm curious as to how difficult/time consuming it is.

thanks!

which stats? there is one for psych and one for regular students, may also be one for business majors.

the regular one, depends on your professor. although it is not hard at all, there is a lot of work involved. you have to do the transforms and whatever in order to be able to do them fast enough on the tests(my prof).

She gave us enough questions that if you were not familiar with it then you were not going to finish.

fiddler

fiddler said:
which stats? there is one for psych and one for regular students, may also be one for business majors.

the regular one, depends on your professor. although it is not hard at all, there is a lot of work involved. you have to do the transforms and whatever in order to be able to do them fast enough on the tests(my prof).

She gave us enough questions that if you were not familiar with it then you were not going to finish.

fiddler

yeah i was going to take the regular one. i have ap credit for stats, but i'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to take it as a gpa fluffer. for now i think i'll just wait til next semester to take it.

which prof did you have?

jintonic5 said:
whatare you guys taking?

i'm taking endocrinology, immunology, genetics, biochem.

Hey jintonic5, endocrinology, immunology and possibly genetics are considered upper division biology right?

How do I get started with taking those classes at UMB? I looked at their continuing ed website, and those aren't on the list of available courses. I just need one or two classes.

medworm said:
Hey jintonic5, endocrinology, immunology and possibly genetics are considered upper division biology right?

How do I get started with taking those classes at UMB? I looked at their continuing ed website, and those aren't on the list of available courses. I just need one or two classes.

hey medworm,

i'm actually enrolled as a degree-seeking candidate, so i went through web registration. the classes i am going to take are indeed upper level biology, so it should be a good way to guage my preparedness for med school.

here's a link for umb non-degree registration:
http://www.umb.edu/students/registrar/registering/non_degree/index.html

hope that helps! g'luck, and maybe i'll see you in class :)