UMASS, Emory, UVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVA, Emory, or UMass? Which would you choose....

• Total voters

mikedc813

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is wondering which he should choose...Umass or Emory or UVA. He really likes Emory and wants to go there, but Umass is obviously cheaper and also a good school. UVA is farther away from home so that's a drawback. Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

He's very interested in research, but also wants to be a PCP and is a very personable guy. He's having a really hard time choosing. It's really hard choosing between a really good state school and schools like Emory and UVA that are excellent and in exciting new locations away from home... What to do, what to do... :confused:

He'd be nuts to turn down UMa--- what am I saying, I'm on the waitlist there. D'oh! He should go anywhere but UMass. ;) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I know who you're talking about mikedc ;)

Here is the bottom line, if he loved Emory so much, he should definetely go there. Though money is important, ultimately it should only be used as a deciding factor only between schools that he liked equally. Sounds like that's not the case so he should go to Emory. And I'm not just saying that cause I'm waitlisted at UMass.

Hey Russianman, how are finals going? :D I'm done tomorrow!!!!

Yeah I agree that you should go where you are happier. Only time will tell where our buddy goes.

If your friend is really cool, he should go to UVa!!!! :D

But really, he should go to Emory if he really loves it there... Also it's important to leave that comfort zone when you can and experience life in different places. Atlanta's got its issues, but it's a great place for research and medicine.

Maybe if there's a particular research topic he's interested in, he could try to contact some profs from all the schools to see if they were interested in working with him. That's what cinched UVa for me...

UMass also has some good stuff going on...

Wow, the majority of votes have gone to Emory so far which surprises me. I'm even more surprised that UMass got the fewest votes. Isn't UMass one of the best for primary care though? Someone help me on this one

Wahoowah....but maybe I'm biased towards my alma mater. ;)

mikedc813 said:
Wow, the majority of votes have gone to Emory so far which surprises me. I'm even more surprised that UMass got the fewest votes. Isn't UMass one of the best for primary care though? Someone help me on this one

I think all these polls just go according to USNEWS (research rankings).

I think most votes are going to Emory because you said he really likes it there...Most people would agree that he should go where he wants. Otherwise he may regret the decision to go elsewhere later...

Lets see, UMass if you sign the learning contract is only $3k per year times 4 equals $12k of debt when you graduate.

He can go to Emory for residency.

skypilot said:
Lets see, UMass if you sign the learning contract is only $3k per year times 4 equals $12k of debt when you graduate.

That's a really good point. It's not like he'll be unhappy at UMass, it's just that Emory is such a nice school. Thanks for the feedback :)

UVA I don't know much about UMass. Emory is also a good school

skypilot said:

Learning contract? I thought they had a program like this only for being a primary care doctor in a low income community.

maswe12 said:
I think all these polls just go according to USNEWS (research rankings).

No way. I voted for Emory because that's where i'm gonna go. It just seems like a wonderful place.