UMass vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ek999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide between two schools right now, UMass and Pitt. I'm an MA resident and UMass would be incredibly convenient and comfortable location wise. Also one of my best friends is going to UMass next year. However, Pittsburgh has a lot more to offer as a city than Worcester and I'm sure I would enjoy living there more. What I'm trying to gauge now is the pros/cons of each program specifically. Pitt's research rep/opportunities is outstanding, and I'm interested in more public health/community based work. I'm also pretty sure I want to go into primary care and not specialize, but that could change.

If anyone has any info/experience with these schools or has any insights they would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Pitt for undergrad. As far as living in Pittsburgh, it is great ... lot's to do, but still a relatively affordable city to live in. The environment is great and it's very collaborative. The med school has a great reputation, as does their hospital system UPMC. UPMC is consistently ranked in the top 15 in the country. Pitt med emphasizes research a lot.

I am choosing between Pitt and a few other schools right now for med school. Ultimately I'm leaning towards Pitt because of what you said above. If you're dead set on primary care, UMass may be better because of cost. If you want to specialize or aren't sure, I think Pitt will open up more doors for you come residency due to its reputation.

Reactions: 1 user