UMass vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caragen

Reaction score
I was all set to go to Pitt Med, but was just accepted to UMass. I have one day to decide between the two so any help would be greatly appreciated!

UMass
Pros
- I am from MA so will have in state tuition, about 80k in total cheaper than Pitt
- close to home

Cons
- located in Worcester (definitely prefer Pittsburgh as a city)
- did not get to go to second look so I am unsure about how well I will fit in (enjoyed interview day less than Pitt's)
- focus on primary care (considering specializing)

Pitt
Pros
- really liked the school and the people I met during second look (felt like I fit in there)
- located in Pittsburgh
- greater emphasis on research (not planning a full-time research career but it is an interest of mine)

Cons
- expensive, about 80k more than UMass
- farther from home

So money is the main thing that is making this decision difficult. I felt like I fit in well at Pitt and was really excited to go, but I'm not sure it will be worth the 80k more. Plus I am not sure if I will fit in well at UMass (I felt less comfortable on my interview day there vs. Pitt). Any thoughts about how important the money factor is and other general thoughts about the two schools would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

80k is a pretty sizable chunk, but I think Pitt and UMass differ enough such that it is only A factor, rather than THE factor to consider.

One is location; obv UMass is in relatively rural western mass, while Pitt is right in Pittsburgh. If you prefer cities I would lean towards Pitt.

Even if research is not your number one focus, do you have an idea for what you want to specialize into? Pitt has a noticeable advantage in reputation and match compared to UMass. Don’t get me wrong, UMass is a great school and can take you anywhere, but Pitt is excellent and truly gives you an edge.

Since you liked the students and location at Pitt better, I recommend Pitt. But you should consider the above factors in addition to the price difference.

Reactions: 1 user