UMass vs. UCLA(waitlist) vs. UCSD(waitlist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheauxds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your feedback! I'm looking to go into a competitive specialty (something surgery, maybe ortho). Location is important to me: I'm originally from the midwest but went to school in Boston and have a lot of friends there, but I want to eventually settle down in California because I love the culture and weather there. Cost is not a big issue as I have a scholarship that I can use for any medical school.

UMass
Pros
  • Excellent reputation - everyone has been telling me how great a school it is, how it's on the same tier as UCLA, how they outperform other schools during away rotations
  • Close to friends and community I've built in Boston
Cons
  • Lowest rank of the 3 schools on USWNR (~40 in research, ~26 in primary care)
  • Too close to home; would like some separation between my previous life. I do a sport that I'll likely continue in medical school so I would still go back to Boston to train often
  • Fear of not connecting as much with the students; student body doesn't seem ethnically diverse
UCLA (waitlist)
Pros
  • Highest rank on USWNR; a T10 school with lots of prestige
  • Really loved the students
  • Has a research lab I'd especially be interested in joining; aligns with my research interests
  • Emphasizes work-life balance and supposedly the most chill out of T10 schools
  • Top-ranked orthopedics department nearby
  • On the West Coast
Cons
  • I've heard negative rumors lately about how the curriculum change has made it more competitive, especially during clinical rotations
  • I've heard the student body itself is becoming more competitive
  • I disliked how suffocating LA felt with all the traffic and noise
UCSD (waitlist)
Pros
  • Ranked higher on USWNR than UMass, considered a T20
  • West Coast vibes; San Diego is a beautiful city
  • Top-ranked orthopedics department nearby
Cons
  • I've heard negative rumors on how competitive the student body is, how the school is on a downwards trend, and how it’s more of a commuter school and students aren't super close
Summary: If accepted to all schools, I'm not sure if I should immediately go with the highest rank school even though I've heard a lot of negative (albeit unconfirmed) rumors about them. Everyone's been telling me how great UMass is as a school and it really makes me feel that there is something special about their education that makes students become good doctors. At the same time, I've always dreamed of moving to the West Coast because I love the vibes, people, weather, culture, and palm trees (although people tell me I'm overhyping it), and the prestigious school ranks makes it seem like not a bad deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent reputation - everyone has been telling me how great a school it is, how it's on the same tier as UCLA, how they outperform other schools during away rotations
This is definitely not true. Maybe students outperform students from some other schools on away rotations but that doesn't mean as much as you might think when push comes to shove. UCLA is one step below the super-elite in terms of reputation. UMass is somewhere in the middle at best. Doesn't mean it's not a great school, but don't let them fool you on the prestige part.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Who told you UMass is on the same tier as UCLA? As someone from CA UCSD + UCLA >>>>> UMass

My mentor is a youngish Harvard grad, now attending at a top 5 hospital system and has expressed this sentiment as well. I've floated Pitt vs UMass by him, and his opinion of UMass is roughly equivalent to Pitt even though their rankings are so different. UCLA is pretty dope though...

Last edited:
UMass matches very well in the northeast, if you'd like to stay in the Boston area it's not a bad choice.

The match list for UCLA is on an entirely different level. They only have 5 matches to MA, but that's probably more self selection as all 5 are top tier: 3 IM at MGH, 1 neurosurg at BWH, and 1 EM at BMC.

Are you in-state for UMass? What's the tuition difference look like?

Reactions: 1 user