UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gu1982

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any intel on U-Mass, re: time from complete to review/potential interview? I got complete there on the late side (end of Oct), but hoping there's still some hope for hearing something. Reasonably competitive there...33/3.67. If there are only ~500 or so MD applicants, it'd seem they could work pretty quickly?!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yea i'd like to know too... i was complete earlier this month, based on when they froze my application online. how do they usually contact you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been wondering about the turnaround time. I interviewed in October and haven't heard anythiing since....

At the interview they said they receive roughly 800 applicants and interview about 400 people for 100 spots. It would seem as though their turnaround time would be better than some high volume applicant schools.

I think it was about a month between when I was complete and when I got my invite. I was complete early/mid august, got my invite about 9/14 and my interview was 9/27. Havent heard back yet. Hope this helps

Jim

As a former UMass waitlister, I might have some helpful input. When I was there, I was told that they interview everyone that they are interested in interviewing, they don't do what other schools do and create a long list of who they'd like to interview and then get around to whomever they get around to. So, if they are interested you will get an interview. With that said, they do tend to fill their class relatively early. I was there in Feb. (a couple years ago) and was told that their class was full - the best I could hope for was a waitlist, and from what I could tell there's not much movement on the waitlist.

Good luck everyone! I really really liked the school!!

Hmm, filling the class in February doesn't sound good. I thought I had read, though, that UMass generally doesn't respond until March/April, and in that way it seems semi non-rolling.

Well on interview day they told us that they are only allowed to enroll 100 students - not more and not less. Therefore, they admit people on a somewhat rolling basis, but as soon as they have hit 100, everyone else is essentially on the waitlist. They usually hit 100 around February. However, as soon as someone declines their place, they accept someone new. So you might be 101 and never know, because they accepted you before they sent out the official waitlist letters. They also told us that they usually take about 50 people (half the class) off the waitlist.

Well I guess the good news for us late apper's is the speed between invite and interview date.

I interviewed in September...It is painful to wait and check my mail daily. I heard that they meet once per month as a committee and not all adcom memeber are present at each meeting, so it might take a little for you to be discussed even if you interviewed early. Apparently they do rolling admissions on a once per month basis, so they will probably be giving acceptances to the next group within the next week or two (before the end of november).

Keeping my fingers crossed....

i got an interview invite today for 12/7!! my first interview invite! i can't stop smiling. :) i was complete during the second week of november, if that helps. looks like i'll be making 3 boston trips in 1 month, since it's sandwiched b/t thanksgiving and xmas.