UMD Baltimore vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT Dad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well my daughter got into both schools and now she is driving me nuts trying to decide which school to attend. Before she was driving me nuts worrying that she would get in anywhere. She heard that UMD is brutal the first year especially anatomy. UMD has no clinicals the first year while Pitt throws you into the clinic the first year. I suppose each has its positives and negative. She also applied to GW and Temple but no word yet from them. Feedback from current students and grads from these schools would be helpful. Also, I was looking at the US News and World Report rankings and it seemed to me that the rankings are based on a very low survey response rate from the schools. Thanks guys:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a PT student yet and don't know much about either school, but one of the reasons I liked the PT school I accepted is because they have clinicals early on. I talked to current students and they said the clinicals are really good experiences to have and you're not just standing around observing the first year. They said they were able to have much patient interaction, case studies, etc. So just from that, I would choose Pitt.

Both schools are fine, with pretty good ultimate pass rates on the National Physical Therapy Examination. I've posted this here a million times, but I'd go to the cheaper school. Clinicals aren't a great way to pick a school. But, if you're looking for insight from a practicing clinician, I wouldn't worry about lack of a clinical in the year. Looking back, my first clinical was not overly helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending PITT starting this June as well, but I cannot speak about UMD because I know nothing about it. The things that led me to pick PITT instead of others were the clinical opportunities that they offer (especially UPMC), the fact that classes start in the summer (it takes away credits from the first fall and spring, meaning less stress), the scholarship they give to all students during the 3rd year (its only 1250/month if I am not wrong, but it helps a lot and it is the only university I heard that does that), the well-known faculty, and although most people here wouldn't agree with it, the fact that it is ranked #2.

...the fact that classes start in the summer (it takes away credits from the first fall and spring, meaning less stress), the scholarship they give to all students during the 3rd year (its only 1250/month if I am not wrong, but it helps a lot and it is the only university I heard that does that)...

While it's nice that the program starts in June, it doesn't actually make the Fall or Spring any lighter. The first Fall and Spring are actually the two most credit-heavy semesters of the program. That first summer is only 7 credits though, which seems like it would be a nice way to ease into the program.

:thumbup:for the scholarship in the 3rd year though!

I have worked with therapists from both schools and I feel that they are very capable and knowledgable therapists. I would not necessarily use ranking as a factor and/or obtaining clinical experience early as deciding factors as well. I would focus on which school provides an academic atmosphere that matches her...hopefully she interviewed with the student body as well to get a sense of this. Plus I would factor in Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore as well. She will be spending a good amount of time in one of these cities, so I would choose wisely and a place where she could easily unwind.

As for licensure pass rates, both institutions are excellent schools so I would not even bother with that issue as well.

As for gross anatomy/neuroanatomy, this will be difficult at any school.

Hope this helps and good luck to your daughter.

While it's nice that the program starts in June, it doesn't actually make the Fall or Spring any lighter. The first Fall and Spring are actually the two most credit-heavy semesters of the program. That first summer is only 7 credits though, which seems like it would be a nice way to ease into the program.

:thumbup:for the scholarship in the 3rd year though!

the first 2 semesters are the heaviest ones on any school, but what I meant by that is that by taking those 7 credits in the summer you are getting ahead of the game and easing up the amount of credits you would take during those semesters. Some schools that I looked into make you take 20 credits both in the fall and spring, so it feels nice to know that I will be taking "only" 15 instead....