UMD vs Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alligator3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in between selecting two schools right now: my in-state medical school (University of Maryland) and Wake Forest. I received a scholarship to attend Wake so Wake's tuition is much lower than UMD's (less than 1/3 of UMD's in-state tuition). Other than having a stronger support system in MD, are there any other reasons why I should choose UMD over Wake? I'm leaning towards Wake. I'm also indifferent about each school's grading system - I think they both have their pros and cons. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your career goals?

Since UMD is in-state, would that mean you would have any financial/ cost of living support, like living near the school already?

If the total price for 4 years is cheaper at Wake I would go there. It makes sense to me, you seem like you're leaning that way and would save $$$!

What are your career goals?

Since UMD is in-state, would that mean you would have any financial/ cost of living support, like living near the school already?

If the total price for 4 years is cheaper at Wake I would go there. It makes sense to me, you seem like you're leaning that way and would save $$$!
Thanks for the response. I'm not entirely sure yet. I definitely want to practice medicine for 10 or so years after residency/fellowship, but then I might want to hop back into research.

Overall, with living expenses included, it is still significantly cheaper to attend Wake. I just wasn't sure if I should make my decision solely based on money. UMD's program is ranked higher than Wake's in both research and primary care on USNews (I know I shouldn't wholeheartedly believe in USNews' ranking system - still unsure what criteria they use to rank schools) but I was just curious if UMD's curriculum had something that would make me a better physician.

Thanks for the response. I'm not entirely sure yet. I definitely want to practice medicine for 10 or so years after residency/fellowship, but then I might want to hop back into research.

Overall, with living expenses included, it is still significantly cheaper to attend Wake. I just wasn't sure if I should make my decision solely based on money. UMD's program is ranked higher than Wake's in both research and primary care on USNews (I know I shouldn't wholeheartedly believe in USNews' ranking system - still unsure what criteria they use to rank schools) but I was just curious if UMD's curriculum had something that would make me a better physician.

I'm not familiar with the curriculum, but the schools don't seem to be ranked too far apart. I'm a little skeptical of the rankings anyway--def don't let it be the deciding factor, imo.

Honestly I think the physician you will become is up to you. It's totally possible to distinguish yourself at either place. If you are leaning toward Wake even without financial consideration that should speak to where you want to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at both these schools. Both great schools and can’t go wrong. Think about where you want to live and how you want to spend your life the next 4 years.

I think you should go with Wake. I don't think UMD's slight prestige bump is that critical here