UMDNJ Cheating Scandal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
pretty sure that goes on at every single institution in the world.

JakeMUSC said:

Not at my school.

JakeMUSC said:

what???huh??...are you for real. selling credits. trading credits. every single institution...ok you're being sarcastic right? seriously, that did NOT happen at my school. admin is extremely tight w/ getting credits, signing stuff off, etc, and chart audits are effective. nor is this common at schools i'm familiar with. this is quite embarrasing for umdnj.

TKD said:
what???huh??...are you for real. selling credits. trading credits. every single institution...ok you're being sarcastic right? seriously, that did NOT happen at my school. admin is extremely tight w/ getting credits, signing stuff off, etc, and chart audits are effective. nor is this common at schools i'm familiar with. this is quite embarrasing for umdnj.
Likewise IUSD.

TKD said:

WOW where did you go to school? You must have gone to such a legit school. You graduated already and you are still on this forum. Get a hobby bro.

JERSEY BABY!!!!

IWILBREAKURFACE said:
that's pretty weak.

I agree, my first thought was pretty weak. Maybe I should of told them I would BREAKTHEIRFACE on an obvious troll account instead.

1FutureDDS said:
I agree, my first thought was pretty weak. Maybe I should of told them I would BREAKTHEIRFACE on an obvious troll account instead.

WHAT??? What does that mean? It's ok bro, don't be embarrassed, you don't know any better. I like your terminology, a troll? I think you should get off your computer and go back and play dungeons and dragons.

NJDS!!!!

Ehhh. I'm still going to apply :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Comet208 said:
This is sad!
Huh? It's sad that getting fraudulent clinic credit would be nearly impossible?

EDIT: Oh crap. I quoted the wrong post up above. IUSD has computerized clinic records, making cheating virtually impossible.

aphistis said:
Huh? It's sad that getting fraudulent clinic credit would be nearly impossible?

EDIT: Oh crap. I quoted the wrong post up above. IUSD has computerized clinic records, making cheating virtually impossible.

why would you ban somebody for speaking their mind??? Nice picture by the way. I couldn't tell you were from Indiana, where cheating is virtually impossible

Interesting. I've never heard of this type of cheating before. Definitely doesn't happen at UCLA since our patient records are computerized and each student has a unique login. Not to mention the fact that we can't even access a pt's chart without first being assigned to the pt.

That's pretty lame that some students cheat while their classmates struggle honestly.

aphistis said:
IUSD has computerized clinic records, making cheating virtually impossible.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

IWILBREAKURFACE said:
WOW where did you go to school? You must have gone to such a legit school. You graduated already and you are still on this forum. Get a hobby bro.

JERSEY BABY!!!!

ya, i can't get enough of SDN what can i say. Such a legit school...ahh not really. didn't realize audits, computers, etc are not the norm that's all. hey, do you want to be my friend??i'll pm you several times. please.

TKD said:
ya, i can't get enough of SDN what can i say. Such a legit school...ahh not really. didn't realize audits, computers, etc are not the norm that's all. hey, do you want to be my friend??i'll pm you several times. please.

I was talking to a D2 at UMDNJ over some beers and there are rumors in the school that accrediation might not go so smoothly in July. He doesn't think they will lose it completely, but rather be on a reporting basis.

Dean Feldman (NJDS Dean) and Dr. Conte (Director of the clinics) have to go. Newark NJ supports the cliental to have the best dental school in the country, bar none. There is no excuse that NJDS is not number one. Academics and the clinical facilities are superior. Faculty is demanding and excellent. This school lacks leadership from Dean Feldman and Dr. Conte. If anybody thinks differently then they are greatly mistaken. Drs. Feldman and Conte are incompetent and out of touch of dental school on every level. BYE BYE…
P.S. Drs. Feldman and Conte you are a disgrace and embarrassment to NJDS and the dental community. Step down.

NJDS#1 said:
Dean Feldman (NJDS Dean) and Dr. Conte (Director of the clinics) have to go. Newark NJ supports the cliental to have the best dental school in the country, bar none. There is no excuse that NJDS is not number one. Academics and the clinical facilities are superior. Faculty is demanding and excellent. This school lacks leadership from Dean Feldman and Dr. Conte. If anybody thinks differently then they are greatly mistaken. Drs. Feldman and Conte are incompetent and out of touch of dental school on every level. BYE BYE…
P.S. Drs. Feldman and Conte you are a disgrace and embarrassment to NJDS and the dental community. Step down.

the fact that they want to expell 38 kids is unacceptable. we need to step up and torch the school. RIOT at NJDS.
Tear up the new clinic and let them know we dont stand corruption and BS

RIOTNJDS said:
the fact that they want to expell 38 kids is unacceptable. we need to step up and torch the school. RIOT at NJDS.

Expel 38 kids????.... I doubt that's gonna happen....

Hopin' said:
Expel 38 kids????.... I doubt that's gonna happen....

Don't count it out. The community here in NJ seems pretty upset. I mean I was in Bayonee food shopping and heard people talking about this in the checkout line. This town is about 15-20 min from the school, so word is spreading.

Bottom line is, someone has to roast for this just like in any big scandal.

3rdMolarRoller said:
Don't count it out. The community here in NJ seems pretty upset. I mean I was in Bayonee food shopping and heard people talking about this in the checkout line. This town is about 15-20 min from the school, so word is spreading.

Bottom line is, someone has to roast for this just like in any big scandal.

yea it does sound pretty bad. Plus, I even heard that some of the faculty members were involved as well (unknowingly though). But expelling 38 students would be almost half of the class. The last number I heard, only 18 students were officially involved. I haven't heard higher number since. They were supposed to have their graduation today I believe.

NJDS#1 said:

why don't those who cheated take responsibility for themselves??

RIOTNJDS said:
As many as half of this year's graduating class have been implicated for fradulent clinic records, and the deans are the corrupt ones? :rolleyes:

I'd spend less time registering troll accounts on SDN, if I were you. Sounds like you've got bigger problems at the moment.

RIOTNJDS said:

i love how i get banned over a joke. calm down it's not serious. there is NOT gonna be a riot like the Newark one in the 60's. You guys need to lighten up.

peacenotwar99 said:
i love how i get banned over a joke. calm down it's not serious. there is NOT gonna be a riot like the Newark one in the 60's. You guys need to lighten up.

lighten up? nah, they fuc*ed up. Bring on the pain.

1FutureDDS said:
lighten up? nah, they fuc*ed up. Bring on the pain.

i was talking about the joke. dude you are not even in dental school yet. talk to me after first year

The Dean announced the other day that UMDNJ placed 2nd (out of 20) on the manikin Endo portion of the NERBs and 3rd on the patient portion for both perio/operative.

Unfortunately, a headline like this will never on the newspaper, let alone the front page

LegendDMD said:
The Dean announced the other day that UMDNJ placed 2nd (out of 20) on the manikin Endo portion of the NERBs and 3rd on the patient portion for both perio/operative.

Unfortunately, a headline like this will never on the newspaper, let alone the front page

Sex, Lies, and Scandals are what sell papers these days..

LegendDMD said:

i'll be the 1st to state that news is unnecessarily dominated by flashy headlines. but i don't agree with equating this to the UMDNJ situatuion. this unethical, unprofessional cheating actually is a bigger story than a regional board exam story. you would expect soon-to-be dental graduates to do well on board exams, but this is unexpected, more shocking, and the situation over there needs to be fixed. very embarrasing to the entire dental profession.

Doogie Howser said:

I think that anyone involved in things like this really needs to be looked at with a magnifying glass. People often rationalize things like this to themselves, telling themselves that this is just dental school, or that if the dental school didn't make it so hard to finish the requirements then they wouldn't have to cheat, or that their skills are really good enough that actually doing the procedure is less important then getting credit and graduating. The truth is that the same person who thinks this stuff is ok is the same person who sees an incipient lesion on a 1st molar and turns it into and onlay or bills an insurance company for an onlay when what he really did was a class II restoration. If your garbage now, you'll still be garbage after you graduate. Thats why i'm all for cheaters getting the boot.

QCkid said:
I think that anyone involved in things like this really needs to be looked at with a magnifying glass. People often rationalize things like this to themselves, telling themselves that this is just dental school, or that if the dental school didn't make it so hard to finish the requirements then they wouldn't have to cheat, or that their skills are really good enough that actually doing the procedure is less important then getting credit and graduating. The truth is that the same person who thinks this stuff is ok is the same person who sees an incipient lesion on a 1st molar and turns it into and onlay or bills an insurance company for an onlay when what he really did was a class II restoration. If your garbage now, you'll still be garbage after you graduate. Thats why i'm all for cheaters getting the boot.
Hard to argue with this.

QCkid said:

You are absolutely right...unfortunately so many people are probably making it through this way as we speak. Maybe this will be a wake up call for a few of them.

ca_dreamin' said:
You are absolutely right...unfortunately so many people are probably making it through this way as we speak. Maybe this will be a wake up call for a few of them.

DORKS UNITE!!!!!!!!!

QCkid said:

I'd have to disagree. People make mistakes. Yes they should be punished. Should they not be allowed to graduate? I personally think they should be able to. Perhaps they should take a course in ethics.

dexadental said:
I'd have to disagree. People make mistakes. Yes they should be punished. Should they not be allowed to graduate? I personally think they should be able to. Perhaps they should take a course in ethics.
People make mistakes but they don't learn if they get a slap on the wrist. Perhaps doing the last 2 clinical years over again (under a microscope) is a better punishment than an ethics class which they probably already had during their senior year as they were cheating in clinic.

flat4 said:
People make mistakes but they don't learn if they get a slap on the wrist. Perhaps doing the last 2 clinical years over again (under a microscope) is a better punishment than an ethics class which they probably already had during their senior year as they were cheating in clinic.

I have to take the military/Navy approach to this.. Kick'em out, send'em to the fleet chippin' paint-Zero tolerance.. Welcome to the partial school of hard knocks..

TKD said:
why don't those who cheated take responsibility for themselves??

The 18 people that they know of who are involved came forward with themselves, they took responsibility for their actions. There's a rumor going around that about half the class is involved. Maybe they didn't come forward, maybe there's no paper proof for some to get caught. There's no way the school can audit all those charts and if someone was able to cover their butt with no paper trail the school can't do anything about what happened.

QCkid said:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

seriously can we stop this thread, it's getting redundant and played out
whatever they got the people they will be dealt with, can we just all move on

peacenotwar99 said:

hey whatever happened to "dorks unite"
if the school wants to audit every single chart - it could happen.

peacenotwar99 said:

Wow, you're conscious is really getting to you isn't it? Maybe you'd feel better if you turned yourself in. Sometimes living with the guilt is worse then living with the punishments that can be dealt out.

S Files said:
hey whatever happened to "dorks unite"
if the school wants to audit every single chart - it could happen.

hahahaha, you are still a dork, and they could audit every single chart

QCkid said:
Wow, you're conscious is really getting to you isn't it? Maybe you'd feel better if you turned yourself in. Sometimes living with the guilt is worse then living with the punishments that can be dealt out.

yes you are right, i feel very guilty. Thanks for the advice Dr. Phil

I haven't seen anyone post anything from this angle...

Obviously those who were guilty were unethical in that situation.

In the big picture, this is in a way the result of the way dental schools function nation-wide. We, as dental students, are in the learning process. I'm not saying that ethics and morals are learned, but the environment certainly has a big effect on them. Dental school is set up just like the real world, only credits = money. That's not how it should be. Students should be able to LEARN without that stress. That's why we pay 200k to attend these schools. All dental school requirements do is force us to view patients as credits instead of what they are. For the kiddies here who haven't dealt with this in dental school yet, please don't insult the rest of us and tell me that we should just ignore the stresses of requirements and do the best thing for our patients.

GuidoPedo said:
I haven't seen anyone post anything from this angle...

Obviously those who were guilty were unethical in that situation.

In the big picture, this is in a way the result of the way dental schools function nation-wide. We, as dental students, are in the learning process. I'm not saying that ethics and morals are learned, but the environment certainly has a big effect on them. Dental school is set up just like the real world, only credits = money. That's not how it should be. Students should be able to LEARN without that stress. That's why we pay 200k to attend these schools. All dental school requirements do is force us to view patients as credits instead of what they are. For the kiddies here who haven't dealt with this in dental school yet, please don't insult the rest of us and tell me that we should just ignore the stresses of requirements and do the best thing for our patients.

If it's true that this practice happens annually at UMDNJ without admin/faculty shooting them down - so this practice becomes the norm then yes the dental school deserves the blame as well. yes environment has an effect for sure.
but you are generalizing your experience. credits = money <-- i strongly disagree that dent schools are set up that way. certainly not my experience. and i'm not being naive here, i have good and bad things to say about my school, but the environment certainly was not credits = money.