UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GOT IN TODAY!!!!

I have a bunch of interviews coming up though, and I'm not entirely sure if Stratford is the place for me. That being said, I really loved the kindness and approachability of both the students and the faculty.

It will be a tough decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I didn't get a phone call either today. What does that mean? My AACOMAS GPA is around a 3.6 and my MCAT is a 32R. I have over 220 hours of volunteering and other strong ECs...Do you think they might get back to us on Monday with acceptances as well? I'm really bummed...:(

Congrats pdubal23! Do you mind if I ask you what your stats were? What could be wrong with my application??? About the only weakness I see is that I'm a NY state resident and I didn't have a DO letter. I even went to the open house back in April(I had to go to NYC and then drive 2 hours in order to attend)! I'm really beginning to worry that maybe one of my LORs is bad? I couldn't really see how but maybe that's the case..Am I being paranoid? Wouldn't they have looked over my LORs before granting me an interview? I'm really dejected...

Congrats pdubal23! Do you mind if I ask you what your stats were? What could be wrong with my application??? About the only weakness I see is that I'm a NY state resident and I didn't have a DO letter. I even went to the open house back in April(I had to go to NYC and then drive 2 hours in order to attend)! I'm really beginning to worry that maybe one of my LORs is bad? I couldn't really see how but maybe that's the case..Am I being paranoid? Wouldn't they have looked over my LORs before granting me an interview? I'm really dejected...
I hear you guys. 35 Mcat, 3.4 gpa. No call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will they be giving out calls on Monday for people who interviewed on December 7th though? I thought they only gave out calls on Monday for a particular set of interviewees that had interviewed on a different date and that it's not necessarily the norm for them to give out calls on both Friday and Monday. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Last edited:
Darkskies, Stats: 3.45 GPA (Ivy), MCAT: 37

I was offered a scholarship here. My extracurricular activities are not spectacular and I have no research experience. I was just honest and straightforward with them about everything, even if it didn't really sound 'impressive.' Also, they are known to make about a third of their phone calls on the Monday after deliberations.

Institutional action on my application has really hindered my application, but I finally made it through by demonstrating that I'm a realistic, level-headed individual with clear achievable goals (I made it clear that I'm a pragmatist, not a dreamer). This year, I have gotten 4 MD interviews, and 4 DO interviews despite my institutional action, average LORs, and nothing impressive in terms of extracurricular activities. The key for me this time around was to demonstrate maturity, understanding, humility, etc.

Darkskies, I also interviewed Dec 7th. Do you remember me? I was the finance guy.

Darkskies, I also interviewed Dec 7th. Do you remember me? I was the finance guy.

Yes, I think I do remember you. You were also the first person in your family to graduate from college, right? That's really impressive. I wonder if you know who I was. I was the one who was nervous about the interview and stayed late afterwards because I was waiting for my ride when I think both of us spoke with a very friendly third year student at the school for some length of time. I really hope I get accepted to this school! Is there anything I can do at this point? I went out of my way to attend the open house(nearly 5 hour drive) and then I spoke with Paula regarding nonscience pre-reqs and the like a couple of times throughout the past few months. I'm amazed at how difficult it is to get in this year seeing as how I thought the average GPA and MCAT at this school was a 3.5 and a 27/28. I hope I didn't make any giant blunders.

Yeah, I didn't get a phone call either today. What does that mean? My AACOMAS GPA is around a 3.6 and my MCAT is a 32R. I have over 220 hours of volunteering and other strong ECs...Do you think they might get back to us on Monday with acceptances as well? I'm really bummed...:(

If you dont mind me asking, when did you interview?

Edit: Nevermind, read above. Thought you may have interviewed with me.

Yeah, got a call Friday.

Do you mind me asking what your stats were? I called the office today and spoke with April. She let me know that I'm on the waitlist and that I should probably be high on the waitlist based on my stats and to call back on Wednesday to find out my exact position. Do people ever get off the waitlist? I think my interview might have gone poorly. Can I do anything about it at this point?:(

Do you mind me asking what your stats were? I called the office today and spoke with April. She let me know that I'm on the waitlist and that I should probably be high on the waitlist based on my stats and to call back on Wednesday to find out my exact position. Do people ever get off the waitlist? I think my interview might have gone poorly. Can I do anything about it at this point?:(

Take comfort in the fact that a lot of people get off of the waitlist every year.And if you're high on the waitlist, then the odds are just that much more in your favor. What you can do is occasionally call to see where you are on the waitlist and continue to show interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take comfort in the fact that a lot of people get off of the waitlist every year.And if you're high on the waitlist, then the odds are just that much more in your favor. What you can do is occasionally call to see where you are on the waitlist and continue to show interest.

Listen to Postal. She is a wise and knowledgeable individual.

I dont share my stats, just know that your entire application is taken into consideration. Don't lose hope!!! Rooting for you!!!

for people who have interviewed, can you tell me what it was like?

some questions they ask, stress level, length?

for people who have interviewed, can you tell me what it was like?

some questions they ask, stress level, length?

approx 20-35mins, know your application, as well as why UMDNJ-SOM, BE CONFIDENT

Hey all, I'm one of the applicants who got waitlisted back in October. To anyone in the same boat, have you guys tried calling the office to find out where you guys were standing in terms of the waitlist? If so, do they tell you high (chance of getting pulled off), medium, low? I'm going to start giving them a call next week, but I was curious if anyone had tried already. Thanks!

this school refuses to tell me whether my application was received.

absolutely ridiculous. anytime i ask whether i should send it again the secretary gets irritated and tells me to be patient.. i sent it in october and its now january..

aaand recent;y ive have had no luck trying to get in contact with them

Hey guys I've been trying to call the admissions office for the past week or so and no one's been picking up :(. I have my interview this Thursday but I never received the e-mail with the driving directions, the form I have to sign, etc. Can someone here be kind enough to forward me the stuff they send you by email? My email is [email protected]

Hey guys I've been trying to call the admissions office for the past week or so and no one's been picking up :(. I have my interview this Thursday but I never received the e-mail with the driving directions, the form I have to sign, etc. Can someone here be kind enough to forward me the stuff they send you by email? My email is [email protected]

just sent it to you..Good Luck!

i interviewed yesterday. this school is really nice. facilities are nice, ppl are nice(so nice... so rediculously nice)... easiest going interview i've ever had and i left it feeling relatively good(i'm terrible at interviewing). while this is not my top choice school because of certain circumstances, i certainly can imagine why ppl would love this school.

Just interviewed today. The school is amazing as everyone is saying. I like the facilities and everything seems like its maintained. Surprisingly the facilities are much better well-kept than the ones at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and NJMS, which I'm guessing is due to age reasons. The only problem for me is that the town of Stratford itself is dead, but I guess that's because I'm a city boy. I wish the school was in an urban center like Philly or what not.

Just interviewed today. The school is amazing as everyone is saying. I like the facilities and everything seems like its maintained. Surprisingly the facilities are much better well-kept than the ones at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and NJMS, which I'm guessing is due to age reasons. The only problem for me is that the town of Stratford itself is dead, but I guess that's because I'm a city boy. I wish the school was in an urban center like Philly or what not.

Glad today went well! I'm a city girl, and like the fact that it's close to Philly but you can have peace and quiet when you want it.

Fingers crossed for you both!

Glad today went well! I'm a city girl, and like the fact that it's close to Philly but you can have peace and quiet when you want it.

Fingers crossed for you both!

Thanks! We'll find out in two weeks. :)

I was actually wondering about the third and fourth year rotations. One of the tour guides mentioned that there is a North Jersey Track for people from the area. Do you know if someone was participating in that track how often they'd have to come down for Stratford (for shelf exams I'm guessing)? And can you do all of your rotations in North Jersey? Also I know the whole rotation system is lottery based. So can students trade with eachother if they don't get the choice they want? Thanks.

EDIT: Also (sorry for the barrage of questions lol) is there anywhere online where I can look at an overview of the North Jersey Track?

Last edited:
I still haven't heard a peep from this school. I was completed by late September. Anyone else having the same issues? I just want to hear back whether it be a rejection or an interview invite.

The heart of downtown Philadelphia is 25 minutes via an awesome train right there next to the school.:)

Edit: Whoops I just saw someone else already posted. Oh well!

Thanks! We'll find out in two weeks. :)

I was actually wondering about the third and fourth year rotations. One of the tour guides mentioned that there is a North Jersey Track for people from the area. Do you know if someone was participating in that track how often they'd have to come down for Stratford (for shelf exams I'm guessing)? And can you do all of your rotations in North Jersey? Also I know the whole rotation system is lottery based. So can students trade with eachother if they don't get the choice they want? Thanks.

EDIT: Also (sorry for the barrage of questions lol) is there anywhere online where I can look at an overview of the North Jersey Track?

During the 3rd year, you do just about all of the rotations at Newark, Patterson, or Jersey City. The only rotation that you cannot do up North is Geriatrics because of the Institute for Successful Aging. That is the only one that you do back in Stratford.

The other rotations are all done in North Jersey. Including your shelf exams. During your 4th year, all of your rotations except for Ethics, Pain/Palliative Medicine are done either in North Jersey for your required rotations or wherever you want for your electives.

As for trading rotations, after the lottery is done, you have about 1 week to find another student who is willing to trade locations and let the clinical coordinator know. It is very easy to do.

I still haven't heard a peep from this school. I was completed by late September. Anyone else having the same issues? I just want to hear back whether it be a rejection or an interview invite.

I'm in the same boat as you. Complete back in August and haven't heard a peep. Well that is not totally true...I wrote the admin office an update letter and they emailed me back to say it was added to my file. But other than that, not a word. I am not a NJ resident (I'm from NY). Hopefully I will hear something soon because I would really love an opportunity to interview here.

just had the interview yesterday. thought it went pretty well but i guess I just gotta wait 2 weeks to see how it was.

pretty laidback, tour was nice saw a human cadaver which was awesome

questions were not too bad either..approx 20 minute interview.

why DO, why UMDNJ, my hobbies, where I see myself in 15-20 years, and asked about something in my application.

just had the interview yesterday. thought it went pretty well but i guess I just gotta wait 2 weeks to see how it was.

pretty laidback, tour was nice saw a human cadaver which was awesome

questions were not too bad either..approx 20 minute interview.

why DO, why UMDNJ, my hobbies, where I see myself in 15-20 years, and asked about something in my application.

Glad it went well for you!!! Good luck!

thanks! If anyone has questions on the interview, let me know.

28P
3.6/3.5
IS applicant

Anyone know when the next set of calls are being sent out? Is it this Friday? If so there goes my entire week waiting in anticipation . :rolleyes:

Anyone know when the next set of calls are being sent out? Is it this Friday? If so there goes my entire week waiting in anticipation . :rolleyes:

They meet on the 3rd Friday of the month......so calls should be going out between this Friday (1/20) and Monday (1/23).

Fingers crossed for you

Thanks! I'll waiting by that phone all day XD.

Yeah call up the office. I didn't hear anything for 4 months then emailed them in December. 2 days later got an interview invite.

Am I the only one anxiously waiting next to the phone right now. lol :xf:

I'm at work and I have been staring at my phone since 8am! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::scared:

im supposed to be sleeping right now because I work the night shift. too nervous to sleep. If I get the call im gonna quit, and plan my backpacking brip. If I dont, i'll have to work going 48 hours without sleep. sigh...

Does anyone know what time the calls start going out?

Got the call around 3. I got in!!!

good luck for everyone still waiting. I look forward to seeing you guys in the fall

Got the call around 3. I got in!!!

good luck for everyone still waiting. I look forward to seeing you guys in the fall

That's so awesome!!! Congratulations!!! Now, Go give your notice at work ;)

Just got the call! I'm so excited. This is my first choice if I don't get into NJMS which is literally 15 minutes away from me by driving. Good luck to everyone else and hopefully I'll see you guys in the fall!

dang didn't get a call...is this bad or possibly gonna call on monday?

dang didn't get a call...is this bad or possibly gonna call on monday?

There could possibly be calls going out on Monday, don't count yourself out just yet, even if it's waitlist there's still hope

Does anyone know about the status of the whole proposal to restructure UMDNJ? There were rumors the school would go to Rowan or be bought by Kennedy... just curious

I haven't read anything recently, but I doubt the school would go to Rowan since they already have Cooper Medical School

VVSHT, Congrats, when did you have your interview? I did my interview on Dec 23 but still no phone calls. :/