UMDNJ GSBS Masters Program at Newark

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was accepted to this program a while back and the Dean just called me today saying that I can take one of the Med School courses (Molecular and Genetic Medicine, which starts this coming Monday), because I got my new MCAT scores yesterday (32R (8 VR, 10 PS, 14 BS)). My undergrad GPA was 3.48 and my science GPA was 3.21. I was planning on not doing the program because they wouldn't let me take the med school course at NJMS, but now that they're letting me, should I proceed with the program?

Here is the dilemma. I am actually applying this cycle, so I would start med school the Fall of 2012. The thing is, the med school course they're allowing me to take doesn't finish until October 14th. Would med schools I'm applying to for this cycle even see my grades considering it would be so late in the cycle? Should I proceed with the Masters program? My top choice is any of the UMDNJ schools, being that I'm a New Jersey resident. If I do well in the course would it up my chances for this cycle, even though the course ends on October 14th? Sorry for the multitude of questions lol.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they will see your grades. And if you do well, it will help you in your apps

And i'll see you in MGM on monday

I am actually applying this cycle, so I would start med school the Fall of 2012. The thing is, the med school course they're allowing me to take doesn't finish until October 14th. Would med schools I'm applying to for this cycle even see my grades considering it would be so late in the cycle? Should I proceed with the Masters program? My top choice is any of the UMDNJ schools, being that I'm a New Jersey resident. If I do well in the course would it up my chances for this cycle, even though the course ends on October 14th? Sorry for the multitude of questions lol.

Thanks.

I have friends that will be starting med school in this class who took MGM last year and were in the same situation as you. The admissions committee waited until they got their MGM grades (honors) and then gave the interview and acceptance after that. The interview experience of one of them involved grades not coming up at all (despite a poor undergrad record) except for the interviewer to say "don't worry, you've proven yourself academically".

You should continue through the masters program after taking MGM. My NJMS acceptance letter, along with the letter for everyone else who took MGM, said their acceptance was contingent on them finishing the masters program. There was one girl who took MGM and went on vacation for a few months, never came back to the masters program. She's still starting c/o 2015 with robflanker but apparently she had to have a lot of meetings to clear everything up because she didn't finish the masters program. So not finishing the masters has been done, but it's expected you do it.

Post questions related to GSBS for this cycle in this thread in the future: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=775094

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they will see your grades. And if you do well, it will help you in your apps

And i'll see you in MGM on monday

Congrats on your white coat. Protip for a fellow SDNer: hang on to every word the lecturers say and memorize slides. Lippencotts is a fantastic reference, but the course is completely based on lecture material. If they're still assigning that second book - the genetics one- do not buy it, you will never use it.

Ahh thanks for the tips. The only way I got As in my undergrad science classes is by typing up everything the lecturer said on my laptop. That made studying so much easier. I know the Genetics book is not recommended, but what about the Biochemistry book? They're using Principles of Medical Biochemistry by Meisenberg and Simmons this year. Also, if you do well in the course and are exempt from it when you start NJMS the following year, what do you take in place of MGM? I plan on finishing the Masters program regardless if I get in or not.

Ahh thanks for the tips. The only way I got As in my undergrad science classes is by typing up everything the lecturer said on my laptop. That made studying so much easier.
You won't be able to do that - you wont have enough hours in the day to keep up.

Also, if you do well in the course and are exempt from it when you start NJMS the following year, what do you take in place of MGM? I plan on finishing the Masters program regardless if I get in or not.
No, you cannot get out of MGM in MS-I

Hey WUBear, congrats on your acceptance to NJMS!

I was thinking about applying to the MBS program next year and was curious if you could explain something to me. You can take two med schools courses right? I know these are contingent on the MCAT and everything though. It seems like though from your last post, that NJMS really weights these highly if you get interviewed. Would honoring the courses def increase your chances by a bit at getting accepted? Thanks!

Would honoring the courses def increase your chances by a bit at getting accepted? Thanks!
There is no honoring for MS-Is anymore (starting this year) - we are strictly pass/fail.

And I think the GSBS students are letter graded but wubear will have to confirm that

Oh really? That's pretty good for the MS-Is! Congrats on your acceptance to NJMS too robflanker!

Also, does anyone know if there is certificate program for the MBS rather than the full Masters? I saw some certificates on the GSBS site, but none for the MBS so I though I might as well ask to see if anyone has heard of this haha. Thanks again!

GSBS students are graded using a letter grade scale.

If you are accepted to NJMS after completing MGM as a GSBS student, you are able to exempt MGM. However, the same does not work with GSBS students taking GMM.

What the hell is GMM?

its the masters equivalent of MGM. those who do not get permission for MGM can take GMM.

my advisor told me not to take MGM partly due to my lack of mcat score. so that being said, hopefully i do well on my upcoming mcat, and can take physio in the spring.

anyone hear of this program called "medical scholars?" (specifically theWUbear). its says that if you get a 28+ and a 3.5 in the masters after taking 20 creds you get a guarenteed interview @ njms. obviously your chances of getting in are slim if you have only a 28, but i was just wondering, has anyone ever heard of someone getting in from the masters program via this program?

i'm hoping to have 20 credits by the end of the spring semester. although i haven't taken MGM i was wondering how much would this hurt my chances of getting in next cycle especially since i won't be taking MGM in the fall of 2011 and would be taking it in fall 2012 (assuming i get a decent enough score on my mcat).

thewubear - i know you said that some people were given acceptances based off them receiving honors in MGM in october, so i was just wondering that since i won't be taking it until after i begin to apply how much do you think it would affect me. (i would be apply next cycle for class of 2017). thanks again man.