UMDNJ - Lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoonDent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how do lectures at UMDNJ work? Is it mostly power points or board notes? I know every prof is different, but for the first semesters specifically Physio and Histo how do they present the material and how do you keep it all straight?

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
once you get to school and immerse yourself in everything, you will have a better feel for how to study/manage certain classes. with histo, everything you need is pretty much in the lecture manual. sounds easy, but there is a lot of detail...a lot of which can not be overlooked (ie: whatever you may think sounds too detailed most likely isn't, and you should know everything cold)...physio is a combination of lecture notes and your own notes/scribes. its all do-able, just have to take the time to really learn. as opposed to college where it's easy to just pass with a C, you really have to work to even just pass. but like i said, all definitly do-able as long as you keep organized and plan ahead
best of luck!

What is the "Lecture Manual" like? Is it just a compilation of powerpoints? Do you get it on the first day of class or do you have to print it out each week?

Thanks - Just want to know what we're in for.:)

This is a good thread for questions. Having survived the first 2 years of dental school at UMDNJ, I can tell you that the lecture manuals really help. It is usually not the powepoints themselvs, but the information that is contained on the slides that the professors lecture about. You can jot down anything additional the professors "adds" in the margins. Remember if the professor says it, it might show up on an exam.

They contain all of the information you are expected to know in order to suceed on an exam, and the class overall. Lecture manuals are given out in Histo and Physio 2 or 3 days before classes begin. After seeing how the manuals put all the infomation right at your fingertips, you will wish you had one for Gross Anatomy during 2nd semester.

How this helps, and if you have any additional questions, just ask.

Regards,
--Ben