Umdnj Ms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syperidot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
Just wondering if any of you guys are gonna be entering the UMDNJ MS Program this fall....just wondering what you guys are doing about housing and classes.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there and I am living in the graduate housing. I am coming from Milwaukee.

What they have graduate housing??? They never said anything about oncampus housing. How did you find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
don't listen to me, i'm a jackass. i thought there was housing as there is a link on the ms website to "local housing". however, this is rutgers, not umdnj. i don't know why they have a link. so i am currently looking for a place, any suggestions?

Sorry,
I'm going to end up commuting. By the way, what classes are you thinking of registering for?

Sorry,
I'm going to end up commuting. By the way, what classes are you thinking of registering for?

Have any of your started the program this fall already? If so, can you fill me in on the pros and cons thus far. My sis is trying to determine if she wants to pursue her MS in Biomedical Sciences and I suggested UMDNJ..but really don't know much about it.
Hit me back!

Also how hard was it to get in? She can't seem to find the application on line. Does she need a MCAT or is GRE suffice?

I will finish the MS program in the fall and have enjoyed the program thus far. Because my UG GPA was sub-par, I decided to enroll in the program to improve my numerical credentials. The school accepts either the GRE or MCAT, of which I submitted the latter.

The website is listed below which describes the program, and there's a link off of that page for the application:
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/adm/msbsflier.htm

With regard to academics, I have taken Medical Biochemistry and Medical Physiology with the M1's, and the rest have been graduate school courses. Students must also do a lab rotation, and also have the option to complete a master's thesis for credit.

The school has a very good placement into medical schools, especially the two UMDNJ schools--I don't have any stats, but the program director said that students doing very well in the program generally gain acceptance to several medical schools. Throughout the program, Dr. Ingoglia (program director) has been really helpful in choosing classes and offering advice regarding my application.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, let me know!

THANKS!

very helpful information. are you applying this cycle? do people generally apply after finishing the entire program or in the middle? where do you live? and how did financial aid work? i know i have alot of questions...but i haven't found a reliablle student source..and my sister is desperate lol.

I am applying this cycle, so I will have a semester "off" before medical school starts. I think some people applied during the previous cycle (i.e., the summer before starting the program) and were forced to finish the program in one year instead of 1.5 years. I chose wait until this cycle so medical schools could see my first two semesters of coursework.

I live in New Jersey so it's a little cheaper than out-of-state (not by much, though). I lived in an apartment for one year (there is no on-campus housing), but figured I would cut costs and move back with my folks this year, at least until I figure out where I will be next year. The financial aid folks were pretty helpful, but make sure the fafsa is completed the January before enrolling. Once the aid package is awarded, tuition/health/etc get paid electronically at the beginning of each semester, and a check is issued for the remainder.

if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

thanks again...

i wonder what the advantage is of applying before the program starts...i mean at best schools will only see the fall semester of work.. but of course that's far into the application season. Although I can imagine that this is not SO bad for umdnj schools. I think I like your way better...albeit it is a bit longer. Do you have plans for your semester "off"...which by the way is better than an entire year.

Is housing easy to find around the school? and it is reasonable in terms of rent?

Thanks again for your insight!

I don't see any real advantage to applying before the program starts, even regarding the umdnj schools. There were a few people that had strong enough credentials to get interviews at umdnj when applying before the program started, but were basically put on hold until receipt of their first semester grades. Also, it's difficult (not impossible) to finish the program in only 2 semesters.

There are many safe "blue collar" towns that surround Newark, and rent for a 2BR can range from $1000-1500/mo. My apartment last year was 1025/mo and was about a 15 min drive from campus. There are a bunch of new housing complexes that have been built relatively close to the school (not sure about the price) that some med/grad students live in, but I personally wouldn't choose to live in Newark.

I'm still undecided about my time off.. I will probably continue doing research at the school, b/c it helps to pay the bills. I also hope to travel to Ireland, as everyone who has been there absolutely loves the place. But I generally want to take it easy before the real fun begins in August!

I have 2 quick questions:

would it be possible to live in manhattan? i ask because i think i can get a roomate if i live there-- fat chance convincing him to live in newark. how is the commute?

i'm looking at umdnj and nymc master's programs. i'm wondering if anyone else considered both of these, and can compare/contrast the 2 schools. they seem like very similar programs/cost/reputatation??

do many people start in the spring?

thanks

It's definitely possible to live in manhattan if you can afford it. You can take the PATH from the city to Newark, which would be a half-hour commute at most depending on where you live in the city). UMDNJ offers a shuttle from the newark train station to campus that runs until 9pm I believe.

I honestly can't contrast nymc and umdnj, because I only looked at the latter when applying. I think most people start the umdnj program in the fall, but starting in the spring is advantageous, as you can a) apply to med schools the summer after you start the program with one semester of grad work on your application, and b) finish the program in the spring semester before you start med school and not have a year "off."

Abbeacon,

what happens during the summer of the program?

During the summer, some students choose to do their lab rotation, which is required in the program. Also, I believe it's possible to take a class or two, but classes are not generally offered at UMDNJ; you would have to cross-enroll at Rutgers or NJIT, which is allowed in the program. Alternatively, you can do nothing during the summer months--it's pretty much up to you.

I actually did my lab rotation the summer before starting the program, and spent this past summer preparing for the august mcat. overall, the program is flexible and accommodating to various circumstances.

You should check out GardenStateApartments.com. They have a bunch of Newark, Bloomfield, & Nutley listings. Plus I think they help a lot of the Newark area schools with off-campus housing.

I just found a place in Society HIll from that site. :love:

TTYL

Allie :)

syperidot said:
HI,
Just wondering if any of you guys are gonna be entering the UMDNJ MS Program this fall....just wondering what you guys are doing about housing and classes.

Do you know how competitive it is to get in? Thanks I appreciate any info!