UMDNJ-SOM driving time from NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody drive to UMDNJ-SOM from NYC during the week? Any driving tips? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

HunterGatherer said:

Try www.mapquest.com You can get great directions and how much time it takes. Hope that helped.

i'd give yourself at LEAST 2 hours. mapquest sometimes gives weird directions, i'm not too familiar with the area that UMDNJ-SOM is in, but it can be a bitch getting out of the city, regardless of what time it is. who knows what is happening at the bridge, u know?

someone else may be able to give your some real direction, but i'd be careful w/mapquest in these parts (meaning NJ/NYC/LI etc.), it can take you a weird backwards way. what day/time are you going anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
supersash said:
i'd give yourself at LEAST 2 hours. mapquest sometimes gives weird directions, i'm not too familiar with the area that UMDNJ-SOM is in, but it can be a bitch getting out of the city, regardless of what time it is. who knows what is happening at the bridge, u know?

someone else may be able to give your some real direction, but i'd be careful w/mapquest in these parts (meaning NJ/NYC/LI etc.), it can take you a weird backwards way. what day/time are you going anyways?

The drive is between 2-3 hours depending when you leave. I will guarentee you, that if you leave in the afternoon, your drive WILL be long because of the incredible amount of traffic at the merge.

Your best bet from the city is take the West Side Highway or the FDR to the George Washington Bridge and get the NU turnpike from there.

The school has excellent directions on their website, I used them and they were perfect.

HunterGatherer said:

You could potentially take the Garden State Parkway allllll the way down, but the tolls are horrendous. Better yet, get on I-95 until you can get to 42. Go onto 42S for a while (toward Atlantic City). This will take you to UMDNJ-SOM.

hey,

come early and also follow NJ TPK and then the exact diretcions from their website...you cant go wrong.

SOmetimes traffic on NJTPK is bad so leave early...

GOOD LUCK ON INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!

Takes me 1.5 hours with no traffic on the weekend. I would give yourself 2-3 hours on a weekday because of all you NY drivers who think the left lane is for going the speed limit. :p

hooperg said:
You could potentially take the Garden State Parkway allllll the way down, but the tolls are horrendous. Better yet, get on I-95 until you can get to 42. Go onto 42S for a while (toward Atlantic City). This will take you to UMDNJ-SOM.
:thumbdown: no way. GSP is worthless and on the completely otherside of the state and Rt 42 is the WORST road in south jersey to commute on.

I'd take either NJ Turnpike or 295 to Rt 30. Depends on what time of the day you are going though.

My suggestions would be to take the turnpike. Depending on "when" you are leaving is going to depend on how long. (also WHERE in the city you are going). I've driven to NYC from that area in 2 hrs for average (I used to live 10 mins from the school). But give yourself 3 hrs and just get some gas and take your time getting there. Also check traffic before you leave ... NJ turnpike has infamous "accidents" in the middle of the day and/or construction :cool: .

Thanks everyone. I don't trust mapquest for driving times around NYC so I was trying to get a general idea from actual experiences.

I took the greyhound to atlantic city from port authority and that took about 45min just to get into NJ so getting in NJ is my biggest concern (maybe that will change on Friday :cool: ). I'm travelling at 9am to get there at noon from 68th and lexington. So skip the tunnels and the george washington bridge is the best way to get into NJ?

HunterGatherer said:
Thanks everyone. I don't trust mapquest for driving times around NYC so I was trying to get a general idea from actual experiences.

I took the greyhound to atlantic city from port authority and that took about 45min just to get into NJ so getting in NJ is my biggest concern (maybe that will change on Friday :cool: ). I'm travelling at 9am to get there at noon from 68th and lexington. So skip the tunnels and the george washington bridge is the best way to get into NJ?

Listen, I work at 68th and 1st and live in NJ. Do yourself a favor. Go to York Ave from 68th St. and make a right. Go to 64th st(?) and make a left onto the FDR North. Take the FDR to the Harlem River Drive, it is the same road just a different name and follow it up to the GWB.

Once on the GWB, take the lower level-trust me on this one- stay on the right lane. Once you are over the bridge, take the exit for I-95/NJ turnpike south. But BE CAREFUL, DO NOT GET ONTO 80.

From there take the Turnpike South to exit 4. and follow the directions the school gave you.

Perfect. Thanks!

EMT2ER-DOC said:
Listen, I work at 68th and 1st and live in NJ. Do yourself a favor. Go to York Ave from 68th St. and make a right. Go to 64th st(?) and make a left onto the FDR North. Take the FDR to the Harlem River Drive, it is the same road just a different name and follow it up to the GWB.

Once on the GWB, take the lower level-trust me on this one- stay on the right lane. Once you are over the bridge, take the exit for I-95/NJ turnpike south. But BE CAREFUL, DO NOT GET ONTO 80.

From there take the Turnpike South to exit 4. and follow the directions the school gave you.

Nate said:
Make sure you shave off that beard for the interview, caveman! I will be checking in on you :D

Be nice Nate. The last guy that insulted the cavemen had to buy them an expensive dinner. And one of them would not even eat.
:laugh:

PS. How did the Biochem exam go?

EMT2ER-DOC said:
Be nice Nate. The last guy that insulted the cavemen had to buy them an expensive dinner. And one of them would not even eat.
:laugh:

PS. How did the Biochem exam go?

We have one week left of classes and then just finals after thanksgiving. The last exam block was the toughest but I did fine :) I am looking forward to some time off in December but I think the toughest part of med school is over with, adjusting and training the brain to input ten times more than it thought possible. It is really amazing how much the brain can store! I hope things are well for you.

I took a quiz in the AM at my college and left campus at 950am. I made it to UMDNJ in about 2 hours and hit very little traffic. This was a great way to get to UMDNJ. Thanks again! :thumbup:

EMT2ER-DOC said: