UMDNJ Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what the acceptance trend is for out-of-state applicants to UMDNJ? Are there specific dates when out-of-staters are interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

40 UMDNJ 1605 55 19 2.9

1605 applicants out of state
55 interviewed
19 accepted

instate
UMDNJ 341 96 70 1.4

341 applicants
96 interviews
70 accepted

doc toothache is the man

edit
there are 96 spaces, according to predents, but only 89 acceptances last year according to doc toothaches stats? not sure where the other 7 spots go, but regardless, clearly it's easier for in staters

40 UMDNJ 1605 55 19 2.9

55 interviewed
19 accepted

instate
UMDNJ 341 96 70 1.4

341 applicants
96 interviews
70 accepted

doc toothache is the man

edit
there are 96 spaces, according to predents, but only 89 acceptances last year according to doc toothaches stats? not sure where the other 7 spots go, but regardless, clearly it's easier for in staters

only 89? if i'm not mistaken don't schools usually accept more than the exact # of seats since there's a likelihood that people will have another acceptance elsewhere. I wonder how many TOTAL acceptance letters UMDNJ gives out. anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that out of staters are interviewed right alongside in-staters. I interviewed the second week of interviews, and there were a few (4 out of the 16 total, rough estimate) out-of-state students there with me.

I can tell you that out of staters are interviewed right alongside in-staters. I interviewed the second week of interviews, and there were a few (4 out of the 16 total, rough estimate) out-of-state students there with me.

yes i interviewed there as well, and yes they invite in and out of state at the same time, but the criteria which is used to decide acceptance and rejection is different for in/out of state

there are a certain number of spots for instate applicants to the dental program, and a certain number accepted for out of state applicants

... the criteria which is used to decide acceptance and rejection is different for in/out of state

there are a certain number of spots for instate applicants to the dental program, and a certain number accepted for out of state applicants

So what is the criteria for in vs out of state?

So what is the criteria for in vs out of state?
well i guess what i mean, and from my limited understanding is that they have lesser requirements for in staters at state schools that is.

aside from needing to fill XX number of seats with in state residents, they'll take a 3.6 gpa 20AA instate while an out of state would need a 3.7gpa 20AA (hypothetical example)

now whether the stats are generally higher for out of state residents because there is a larger applicant pool for out of state residents, and they can afford to be more selective i couldn't tell you

yes, in-staters are interviewed along out-of-staters. class of 2012 has 96 students, so if 89 normal acceptance, there might be ~5-10 that are from accelerated programs from neighboring area NJ schools (e.g. 7 year BS/DDS with NJIT).

Anyone talk to an admission officer or did they reveal at the interview how many total acceptance letters they send out at UMDNJ? It's gotta be more than ~90 (# of seats).

reviving this thread.

i was looking at ADEA guide and it seems umdnj is pretty OOS friendly? can anyone comment on this? what kinds of gpa/DAT are they looking for if one is OOS?

I read in the "Where should I apply to" sticky that UMDNJ's OOS numbers are deceptively high.

I'm a CA resident and I sent in a primary app there but now I'm hesitant to pay for the secondary... is it a complete waste of money?

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I read in the "Where should I apply to" sticky that UMDNJ's OOS numbers are deceptively high.

I'm not sure if this would make the stats "deceptively high," but UMDNJ does have quite a few 7 year programs with multiple undergraduate universities, and there are many OOS students in the programs. From NJIT alone, we have 2 OOS (including me) students in the program. There 10 universities participating in the program, however I am not sure how many total actually end up at UMDNJ, or decide to apply out of the program.

I'm from CA and I am interviewing there in November.

I'm not sure if this would make the stats "deceptively high," but UMDNJ does have quite a few 7 year programs with multiple undergraduate universities, and there are many OOS students in the programs. From NJIT alone, we have 2 OOS (including me) students in the program. There 10 universities participating in the program, however I am not sure how many total actually end up at UMDNJ, or decide to apply out of the program.

Thanks for sharing that, Jon.. I'm sure that does contribute to their OOS stats being deceptively high.

And rick, congrats to you! You do have pretty awesome stats though! :thumbup: But I guess that means I have hope.. I'll prob submit my secondary fee then. Thanks!

Hi Luteum, I interviewed at UMDNJ too on Sept 10, and am international. I would say pay your fee and wait your turn...you never know..stats can be decpetive too! :)

They do take a few from the masters program as well. I believe the class of 2014 has about 5 or 6 students from the gsbs program. I'm hoping I'm one of them in the current cycle :)

40 UMDNJ 1605 55 19 2.9

55 interviewed
19 accepted

instate
UMDNJ 341 96 70 1.4

341 applicants
96 interviews
70 accepted

doc toothache is the man

edit

hi, i was wondering are these stats true? 70 of 96 in state interviewed get accepted? i've been wondering what the stats for this are. i'm from nj and interviewed there recently and was wondering what my chances of being accepted are.. since it's my top school.

thanks!