UMDNJ students - questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livineasi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So - I got accepted to New Jersey D-School and I was wondering is any current students out there could answer some of my questions.
(FYI - I did a search and only found posts from 2004)

1)were you surprised by any hidden fees or costs that came up?
2)how did your class, on average, do on dental boards?
3)Do you know anyone that has graduated - are they doing well, have they found jobs and are able to pay back their loans?
4) How much of your class ends up having to take 5 years instead of 4 to complete the program?
5) Is living in Jersey City a doable commute to school (by train/shuttle)?

Members don't see this ad.

so...are there no Jersey students on SDN?

So - I got accepted to New Jersey D-School and I was wondering is any current students out there could answer some of my questions.

3)Do you know anyone that has graduated - are they doing well, have they found jobs and are able to pay back their loans?
4) How much of your class ends up having to take 5 years instead of 4 to complete the program?

i'm not a student (but hope to be soon!). i did grad school there, and have worked there ~3 years, so i'll take a crack at this.....
1. heard from some first years, there's nothing too surprising. apparently, the laptops included in tuition are old IBMs, and remember to account for loupes ~$1200.
2. classes do pretty well, i think like 95% or 98% pass rate for past few years? i could be wrong, i remember something like this from the interview.
3. the grads i know are 50+, and well established, but had all good things to say about the training. one girl is early 30's (DMD and ortho from njds), she loved it. she said nj grads that she knows are usually asked for help by other residents in programs from other dental schools, meaning nj people are trained very well i guess.
4. i heard that not many people do this, only if you are really struggling/failing, you will fall into the hands of the school and they put you in the program. i estimate 3-5 students per year, more or less.
5. jersey city is about a 20 min. train ride to penn station, then you catch a bus to the UMDNJ campus, could be hectic in winter.

if you have more questions, just PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nope. I knew from a 3rd year that you were required to buy loupes on your own dime

part 1 ~4/90 failed
part 2 don't know

I know at least 100 dentists that have graduated from a variety of schools all ove trthe US, including this one, and no one is having a "problem" paying back their loans. Some worked for the NIH, some joined the armed forces, some are employed in private offices and some own their own practices. Some are making so much money it is almost criminal, and others are content to make $130,000 as an employee and have no office headaches. Loan repayment, given the rates the money is borrowed at, should be done over a looooong time as you will never get money that cheap again, but that is a discussion for another thread!

~6/90

Don't know enough NJ geography to answer

Last edited:
what are loupes? and how much do they cost?

sort of unrelated. im currently in the gsbs program at umdnj newark. any current dental students know of good places to study around the area? open 24 hours and of course safe...

i had awesome starbucks in new brunswick when i was at rutgers but now i seem to be SOL