UMDNJ Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a couple questions about UMDNJ just to finalize my decision :)

1)What are the international opportunities available? I saw in the packet they gave out on the interview that there's a possible trip to Dublin, and some other stuff in the works, but nothing else final yet. That true?

2) Anyone commute there and if so, what do you think? Pros and Cons? (I know I asked this is in a different thread but I would like to hear specifically from UMDNJ people)

3) Are any lectures or notes available online? If not, are they planning to have that in the future?

4) How do the clinical requirements compare to other schools? I know that there is a "focus on clinical experience" there, but I would like to know how specifically that is accomplished.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay well I guess I'll extend this to anyone who knows the answer since no one seems to have any input...

Okay well I guess I'll extend this to anyone who knows the answer since no one seems to have any input...

i'm in the UMDNJ masters program, and i live in NYC and do the commute. it's OK. traffic can be unpredictable and riddled with construction. I have 3 routes that i take. 2 are currently under construction. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the UMDNJ masters program, and i live in NYC and do the commute. it's OK. traffic can be unpredictable and riddled with construction. I have 3 routes that i take. 2 are currently under construction. good luck.

Thanks, appreciate it.

So I am only a D1 - so I'll answer whatever I can....
I commute about 20 mins each day - but it can quickly turn into a 40 min ride. There's ALWAYS construction in Newark - roads are closed/opened randomly - and they seem to keep digging random holes in random intersections.

So I have about 3 diff routes....

For physio you receive a lecture manual for the whole semester....its not available online-only as a packet that is distributed on the first day.

For histo - notes are available online. You can print the whole packet at once or you can print the notes for that day...
For Preventive & Intro to Dentistry powerpoints are available online...
For Dental Anatomy - notes are available online - but only some -
For Occlusion- notes are online - but I am not sure of the extent of these (we just started Occlusion the week before finals...)

UMDNJ stresses clinic - not too sure as to how extensive....hope I helped.

Either of you have any input as to whether you think commuting is beneficial or not? Obviously the money saved is huge, but have you (even though you're only D1) seen any negative benefits on the social side of things, or study time?

socially, after school I go home to eat and study n I wouldn't return for a party at the dorm - but people in the dorms can def sleep more, and party more if they wish to.

Personally I'd rather just stay home and relax. There are enough times where we meet in Hoboken and all just get to hang out - which is pretty cool..but there are just a few days when I can just relax, so I try and take advantage of them.

There are people who live in the dorms and don't go out - but it really just comes down to what you really want to do...

I recently was told to commute by a few people, one of which talked to people who know the area very well. They said it's pretty dangerous and that it I would be much better off commuting if it wasn't that far. I didn't think Newark was THAT bad. Is it?

Yeah newark is pretty dangerous...

I go to school there... man let me tell you. Obviously you need a CAR... get it even if it is used. And definitely get a parking pass and park safely... dont park your car on the street over night... unless its a crappy car. B/c i seen many cases whose windows get smashed into and their money, bags, ipod, lappy, etc... stolen...

if you do commute by train, and tend to take subways from the penn station you would be fine... but on your way back if it past 6 or 7pm... try to go to subway where there a lot of people even if you have to walk half a mile. The safest subway is near Rutgers not NJIT... b/c some people tend to take advantage of the situation that there are no one is the subway and rob them...

before i got my car, I always used walk to the train station at night 9pm ~1mil away from my school... just to breath fresh air. Even though subway was free for me. I remember this one time this guy who got beaten up... w/ bloody face approached me and said give me money... lol he did not ask nicely. I thought he was joking and pushed his A33 right over... and started walking, he cursed he yelled and walked other way. and night just watch your back while walking... and dont be scared...
the funny part is when me and my friend used to commute by train... in subway we used to see people rolling weed blunts right in front of us. and even kids... i was shocked...

Commuting from north jersey to newark could be really hectic... due to traffic. communing from central is fine less traffic. we have 2 routes 78 and 22. i always take 22. and gets me there w/ no problems at all...

peanutb123, if you go to school there why would you not take the shuttle bus which is free and goes to Newark Penn Station. I do it everyday and it is very convenient. It makes no sense to walk over a mile to the Light Rail.