UMDNJ vs NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munchkin910

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding which school to attend. I was accepted by UMDNJ and recently interviewed at NYCOM. If I don't get accept to NYCOM, then I guess the decision would be simple. But IF I am accepted to NYCOM I do not know which to chose. UMDNJ's website does not have a whole lot of information on it, so I was hoping someone can tell me the pros and cons of each school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having trouble deciding which school to attend. I was accepted by UMDNJ and recently interviewed at NYCOM. If I don't get accept to NYCOM, then I guess the decision would be simple. But IF I am accepted to NYCOM I do not know which to chose. UMDNJ's website does not have a whole lot of information on it, so I was hoping someone can tell me the pros and cons of each school.

Thanks!

There should be no question here. Take your UMDNJ acceptance and run like a thief.

If you are from NJ, go with the cheaper tuition and don't give it a second thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school did you feel more comfortable interviewing at? Learning style plays a big part in this decision also - I believe classes at UMDNJ:SOM are required, so if you really like going to class and having someone hold your hand making sure you stay up to date on all the learning, that would be a good place. If you like not going to class and streaming videos of lecture instead, NYCOM offers this. Now that I go here, I realize just how great the streaming thing is. I don't go to any lectures - only labs; I stream all the lectures at 2.0x and have more time to study. It all depends what works well for you. Right now, I am loving streaming; haven't gone to class since 3rd week of classes or so. :thumbup: Cheaper tuition is a HUGE plus though. Staying in Jersey if you're from Jersey is huge also. One of my roommates actually was accepted to both schools and chose NYCOM over UMDNJ:SOM b/c we have alot more rotation time in surgery as oppossed to family practice and we have a lower % graduates entering primary care. I'm from NJ, so if I would have gotten accepted to UMDNJ:SOM, I most likely would have gone there to be able to stay in Jersey (even though I'd have to move to the South) and pay much cheaper tuition. Weigh it all out and try to recall how you felt interviewing at each school. But don't underestimate the power of streaming... :D

Which school did you feel more comfortable interviewing at? Learning style plays a big part in this decision also - I believe classes at UMDNJ:SOM are required, so if you really like going to class and having someone hold your hand making sure you stay up to date on all the learning, that would be a good place. If you like not going to class and streaming videos of lecture instead, NYCOM offers this. Now that I go here, I realize just how great the streaming thing is. I don't go to any lectures - only labs; I stream all the lectures at 2.0x and have more time to study. It all depends what works well for you. Right now, I am loving streaming; haven't gone to class since 3rd week of classes or so. :thumbup: Cheaper tuition is a HUGE plus though. Staying in Jersey if you're from Jersey is huge also. One of my roommates actually was accepted to both schools and chose NYCOM over UMDNJ:SOM b/c we have alot more rotation time in surgery as oppossed to family practice and we have a lower % graduates entering primary care. I'm from NJ, so if I would have gotten accepted to UMDNJ:SOM, I most likely would have gone there to be able to stay in Jersey (even though I'd have to move to the South) and pay much cheaper tuition. Weigh it all out and try to recall how you felt interviewing at each school. But don't underestimate the power of streaming... :D

Thanks for your advice and input. I guess both schools have what I want. I like going to lectures and listening to professors talk, however, I like the idea that NYCOM has more surgery rotations and the fact that they have more rotation sites. However, UMDNJ also have a smaller class size which is a plus and more research opportunities. I don't know if i should base my decision on the interview itself, because my interview at UMDNJ lasted 30 minutes while my interview at NYCOM only lasted 10 minutes (not sure if thats a good thing).

Congratulations on having to choose between two awesome schools. I just wanted to clear up a few things above previous posts. You can search my post history and find tons of my opinions about UMDNJ.

Our rotation schedule is changing so I wouldn't worry about that too much. As it appears now if you like Surgery you get your 6 weeks 3rd year but you also get a month of surgery specialty in 4th year and can do 2 of your electives in surgery (maybe more if it is a competitive specialty). You can also do all of your electives in surgery if you break them up into subspecialties which means you can do more than half a year in surgery pretty much. You need some variety in your education after all!

As for class attendance being mandatory, the policy is that classes are mandatory but it is up to the professor whether it is enforced. So far for me only OMM, genetics, physical diagnosis, and maybe one or two other classes have been mandatory. I learn better reading on my own so I rarely make half of my classes but still do well on the exams. We don't have streaming video of the lectures but we do have the audio and power points which to me is as good.

If you are from NJ, go with the cheaper tuition and don't give it a second thought.

WRONG - EVERYONE receives in state tuition, EVERYONE...

no really, EVERYONE:thumbup:

Congratulations on having to choose between two awesome schools. I just wanted to clear up a few things above previous posts. You can search my post history and find tons of my opinions about UMDNJ.

Our rotation schedule is changing so I wouldn't worry about that too much. As it appears now if you like Surgery you get your 6 weeks 3rd year but you also get a month of surgery specialty in 4th year and can do 2 of your electives in surgery (maybe more if it is a competitive specialty). You can also do all of your electives in surgery if you break them up into subspecialties which means you can do more than half a year in surgery pretty much. You need some variety in your education after all!

As for class attendance being mandatory, the policy is that classes are mandatory but it is up to the professor whether it is enforced. So far for me only OMM, genetics, physical diagnosis, and maybe one or two other classes have been mandatory. I learn better reading on my own so I rarely make half of my classes but still do well on the exams. We don't have streaming video of the lectures but we do have the audio and power points which to me is as good.

Thanks Nate for clearing things up about UMDNJ. Do professors actually take attendence in class? I also have a question about anatomy lab at UMDNJ. When I interviewed there, the anatomy class had not started yet, so I did not really get a chance to see how its set up. Do first and second years share bodies? When does anatomy class start? and is it system base or do you learn the anatomy in parts?

Like I said, in some classes attendance is taken and it is usually because it is a hands-on type of class like OMM or a class no one would attend but is necessary. In those classes attendance or quizes are worth a small part of your grade. Most classes there are no attendance. I have learned to back up my statements by saying: this is how it has been for me but anything can change.

Anatomy: Anatomy is taken in the spring here of your first year. I believe the original reason is because we shared professors with our sister school, Robert Wood Johnson, and they had anatomy in the fall. The way it is set up now is you have anatomy Thursdays and Fridays all day spring semester, morning lecture and afternoon lab. There is one cadaver per four people which is really an ideal number and generally help is available in the lab for IDing or dissecting out delicate things. The grade is based on written exams, diagnostic imaging exam (x-rays, CT, and MRI), and the lab practical which is mostly identify the tagged item on the cadavers, bones, or x-rays. The class is split into 3 sections: back and limbs, head and neck, and chest/abdomen.

We don't have anatomy the second year but you still have to review it for OMM, medicine, and the boards. That goes for most things, they are repeated second year but in a more clinical way.

Thanks!

if you're a NJ resident go to UMDNJ without hesitation. It's in-state tuition. If not, either one is fine..

I would give up streaming if we could have a normal anatomy and histo lab.

if you're a NJ resident go to UMDNJ without hesitation. It's in-state tuition. If not, either one is fine..

another thread where I have to continually correct this...:mad:

EVERYONE AT UMDNJ-SOM GETS IN STATE TUITION yup, no lie, from the minute you move here you pay in state tuition.

EVERYONE, that means ALL students, you know even the ones not from NJ;) .

EVERYONE AT UMDNJ-SOM GETS IN STATE TUITION yup, no lie, from the minute you move here you pay in state tuition.

well, currently i'm a NY state resident. In order for me to qualify as a NJ resident, I need to either live in NJ for at least a year and own a car register to NJ and change my drivers license to NJ. All of which I don't have now. So I might have to pay out of state tuition my first year and then instate tuition starting my second year.

Oh...I have decided to send in my deposit for UMDNJ!! hehe...:D

Members don't see this ad :)
well, currently i'm a NY state resident. In order for me to qualify as a NJ resident, I need to either live in NJ for at least a year and own a car register to NJ and change my drivers license to NJ. All of which I don't have now. So I might have to pay out of state tuition my first year and then instate tuition starting my second year.

Oh...I have decided to send in my deposit for UMDNJ!! hehe...:D

Munchkin, this is not true. You can get in-state tuition starting your first year. I understand that you only need to show proof of residence in the state and proof that you have moved your car registration and insurance to the state of NJ.

Munchkin, this is not true. You can get in-state tuition starting your first year. I understand that you only need to show proof of residence in the state and proof that you have moved your car registration and insurance to the state of NJ.
Don't you need a NJ driver's license to get a NJ registration?

Why do they bother to have instate/out of state tuition and not just one rate if everyone can get it anyway? Why not just have one tuition rate? This is one thing that I could never understand. Why should our tax dollars help pay for out of staters who are going to move back to their state after graduating anyway? I've never heard of any other school doing this before. I still can't make sense of it. Even for other NJ state universities, you have to have lived in the state for at least one year to get in state tuition. Can anyone explain why or how it got changed for UMDNJ:SOM? I'm just curious about this, b/c it doesn't follow suit with any other school. :confused:

all you need for in state tuition is an NJ license with a permanent NJ address

congrats munchkin and welcome to SOM!

all you need for in state tuition is an NJ license with a permanent NJ address

congrats munchkin and welcome to SOM!

Thanks DoctorJay!

Well currently I don't have either one. haha...I'm going to have to start looking for a place to live. :scared:

actually classes at umdnj-som r not required w/ a few exceptions (omm lab, omm). i almost never go. we record all lectures so we get the audio though no video. but i find that i really don't need a video most of the time. going over notes and the recording is usually (not always) fine. we can listen 2 the lectures at double speed. and if u're the type that likes 2 go 2 class, the school is wireless so u can download the lecture and follow along w/ and put notes in the powerpoints. we did have alot of family med rotations but they just dropped one family med elective in the 4th yr and have now made it a general elective. we r also fighting 2 get another elective in the 3rd yr 4 audition rotations. anyone can get in-state tuition (all my classmates do regardless whether they r from nj) by just getting a nj driver's license. u do not need 2 change ur insurance (i think ppl have their cars under their parents' insurance but not sure). we also have PBL but that's only offered every 2 yrs 2 a small group of students (this yr its 6). we don't have PBL 4 the students that would enter this yr though.

congrats on accepting. the ppl r nice here (not that they rn't elsewhere). i've found most of my classmates 2 b cool and very actively involved as well as share materials 4 study.

we also have PBL but that's only offered every 2 yrs 2 a small group of students (this yr its 6). we don't have PBL 4 the students that would enter this yr though.

In the past PBL has been offered every 2 years but that may change next year. No guarantees, but keep in mind it may be offered next year, possibly to two groups of incoming students. I don't know when the decision will be made. If you have burning questions you may contact the PBL director, Dr. Peter Stein ([email protected]).

Go to UMDNJ hands down

NYCOM isn't that great, the only thing great about it is that its close to NYC and its clinicals but some of the faculty really leave a lot to be desired

If you do not have family or anything else holding you to NY then I'd go with UMDNJ. When I had to make that decision the only other things I could give favor for NYCOM was 3rd year clerkships and video streams. I don't think that makes NYCOM worth the extra $16K or so each year.

below is thorough info on UMDNJ in state tuition and residency for non-NJ matriculants. listen to the UMDNJ students on how to get residency. That should be obvious.

http://www.umdnj.edu/oppmweb/Policies/HTML/StudentServices/00-01-25-15_05.html

Verify everything with UMDNJ admissions.

I just got accepted to the class of 2016 (and I will start in fall 2012). Can you please confirm if your above statement is STILL true....I called the admissions office and was told otherwise.....Has the policy changed? Or is the admissions' staff just hesitant to admit it on a telephone call?

Hey. Can anyone in umdnj clarify if the whole "the deans are convicted felons and went to jail" thing still impacts clinical rotations or if that all blew over. I heard all three umdnj schools were losing rotation spots at outraged hospitals. But I also heard that the hospitals only pulled support as a PR move and would be back once the new deans stepped in. It's been over 2 years. I figure it might be clear what the fallout was longterm.

With that said. Umdnj over nycom. Corrupt officials is par for the course for nj. This would be a much bigger thing if it was almost any other state. Umdnj is a very good school abd I know a few issues with nycom that make me somewhat hesitant to recommend it even though its reputation is great.

yes, the policy has now changed since doctor jay posted that. he was a couple years ahead of me at som. they changed that policy around 2007 so u cannot get in-state tuition until after a year of residence if u r not orig a nj resident.

Hey. Can anyone in umdnj clarify if the whole "the deans are convicted felons and went to jail" thing still impacts clinical rotations or if that all blew over. I heard all three umdnj schools were losing rotation spots at outraged hospitals. But I also heard that the hospitals only pulled support as a PR move and would be back once the new deans stepped in. It's been over 2 years. I figure it might be clear what the fallout was longterm.

With that said. Umdnj over nycom. Corrupt officials is par for the course for nj. This would be a much bigger thing if it was almost any other state. Umdnj is a very good school abd I know a few issues with nycom that make me somewhat hesitant to recommend it even though its reputation is great.

this really didn't seem to affect umdnj-som (the DO school out of the 3) since we have 4 of our own hospitals (the 3 kennedys and our lady of lourdes). we did lose some rotation sites at a couple of hospitals in north jersey we had affiliations with but i don't think that it had much to do with the "dean" issue which hit right b4 my 1st year. it had more to do w/ lack of compensation on our part for those spots when caribbean schools were compensating those hospitals and wanting to keep the faculty:student ratio low.

since then, umdnj-som has expanded clinical rotations and has a north jersey track and now a south jersey track (more in the rural areas of south nj) in addition to the 4 sites i mentioned before near the school. som has expanded from about 100 ppl from my 1st year to now 150 i believe (or it def had 135 last class that i know about and coca had approved the scale up to 150). som has done a great job of ensuring that as class size expanded, they would have rotation spots to deal w/ the expansion. so i would answer "no" to the orig question. i can't say as much about the 2 MD campuses since i didn't go there but i don't think that the corruption issue (since all 3 campuses got accused of some issue in one way or the other around that time) impacted them w/ rotation sites either. rwj is now losing cooper univ hospital to rowan univ who is starting a med school but that is years after these issues came up and due to a different reason. hopefully this answer helps.

Originally Posted by DOctorJay
another thread where I have to continually correct this...

EVERYONE, that means ALL students, you know even the ones not from NJ .

yes, the policy has now changed since doctor jay posted that. he was a couple years ahead of me at som (i think he graduated in 2007). they changed that policy around fall 2007 so u cannot get in-state tuition until after a year of residence if u r not orig a nj resident.

In the past PBL has been offered every 2 years but that may change next year. No guarantees, but keep in mind it may be offered next year, possibly to two groups of incoming students. I don't know when the decision will be made. If you have burning questions you may contact the PBL director, Dr. Peter Stein ([email protected]).

now, they have PBL every year and take about a handful of students/yr (about 6-8 i think)