Umdnj

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Ngozi Onyema, you can find info for UMDNJs GRE requirements right from the ptcas website. It says to be competitive, students should score minimum 400 verbal, 500 quantitative, and 3.5 analytical

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

first of all congrats on the acceptances. I interviewed at the Newark UMDNJ on Jan. 4 and haven't heard anything yet. Do you guys know if there are multiple rounds that they send acceptances or is it just a one time deal?

njpt, that im not sure of. you should probably give pam boyle a call becasue Im sure she can tell you

Members don't see this ad :)
I called earlier today and all she said was that letters will be going out this week. I'm not sure if that means being wait-listed, or rejected outright. Hopefully it won't be the latter.

Hi, I've been accepted to both UMDNJ PT programs in Newark and Stratford but I'm torn between the two. Which program is better? How similar or different are the programs? What's housing like at both? Any help is appreciated!

Hi, I've been accepted to both UMDNJ PT programs in Newark and Stratford but I'm torn between the two. Which program is better? How similar or different are the programs? What's housing like at both? Any help is appreciated!

I was accepted to both programs too.

Reasons I wanted to choose Stratford:
1) Close to Philly, the city I love
2) Nice, suburban campus, you could probably split a house with other DPT students
3) emphasized community service

However, I chose Newark over Stratford because I felt like it had better research/clinical opportunities. I was mostly impressed with the research. For housing, I'd probably live within 20 miles in a nicer area of North Jersey, because on-campus housing is pretty expensive.

thank you so much! I was also impressed with Newark's research but I'm not sure how involved I'd actually be in their research, so I'm leaning toward Stratford. I don't feel that my education would be compromised by Stratford's lack of research. Also, I would much rather have the suburban setting over the urban. There are definitely a lot of housing opportunities in the towns and cities outside of Newark which are nice and safe towns, although I don't know much about the pricing.

well i decided on umdnj but now it looks like umdnj will no longer exist and will become New Jersey Health Sciences University..what do you think about this? With the lost hospital connection and restructuring will the program still be as strong?

heyamanda, where did you find this information from and when will this be inacted?

I know that it is just Christie's plan and might not actually happen..I was just completely thrown off this morning when I picked up the newspaper!

Members don't see this ad :)
From the looks of it, the PT program will still be located in Newark and the only change with this will be that it will be renamed to New Jersey Health Sciences University instead of UMDNJ. I dont think will have a significant impact on the PT program and I believe it should continue to be as strong as it currently is

Last edited:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/umdnj_officials_torn_over_poss.html

"Some advocates worry what the loss of cash will do to UMDNJ's troubled finances. Newark resident are particularly concerned about the future of University Hospital, the debt-ridden teaching hospital run by UMDNJ that provides critical care for Newark's low-income residents."

Would this affect us though? What about clinicals? And possibly paying more for tuition?
If I don't plan on staying in Jersey after graduating then how many PT clinics will be familiar with NJHSU?

Just some things I'm wondering.

the situation def posses some critical questions and I will also be looking into this further. On a side note, has anyone received they're acceptance packets by mail yet? I heard they were being sent out this week

I'm waiting for the acceptance packet too. Has anyone called Pam Boyle to ask about it? I'm thinking about giving her a call tomorrow to see if they have been sent yet.

She said that acceptance letters were being sent out tomorrow.

In case anyone was wondering about the whole situation with UMDNJ changing to New Jersey Health Sciences University and was wondering if this would affect the DPT program I just called and spoke with an admissions faculty and asked her several questions regarding this. She said that the only thing that would change in the DPT program was the name of the University. All connections with clinical affiliations will remain the same, and facutly will be the same. As far as tuition goes, that goes up slightly every year but without the university hospital which will eventually be run by the state, it will have no impact and will not raise tuition. She ended by saying that it will take years before any of this will actually come into effect. Hope this helps!

awesome congrats again! hopefully I will get mine today also. Do you plan on attending?

Yep! Just a little heads up, be prepared to print out alot of forms when you get yours haha

haha ok thanks for the heads up, I will be attending as well

hey guys,

did anyone receive an acceptance letter without getting an email notifying them?

not me. I received an email on the 19th and my acceptance packet today.

i received the acceptance email on the 19th but I haven't received my packet yet, anyone else?

They sent them out this morning so you will probably get it tomorrow if you live in NJ

Does anyone plan on living on campus that will be attending? Im from long island, ny so the commute everyday is out of the question. Looking for a possible roomate. Let me know if your interested

For those who were rejected, are all rejection letters the same or is there anyway to tell what your application was lacking from the rejection letter? I just got a rejection letter from UMDNJ and it says:

"We regret to inform you that the Committee on Admissions and Academic Performance of the Physical Therapy Program has not accepted you for admission to the Entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy Program beginning July 31, 2012.

The decision was difficult and was reached following careful evaluation of your application by members of the Committee. Admission to the Program is competitive both in numbers and applicant qualifications."

I was not chosen for an interview.

I am pretty sure my low GRE scores had everything to do with my rejection but I just hope that after I improve my GRE scores I have nothing else to worry about.

My stats are as followed:

Total GPA is 3.18 and Prerequisite GPA is 3.53. But this does not include my Fall 2011 and Winter 2012 grades which were a total of 7 courses with grades of four A's, one A-, one B+ and one F. One of those four A's was for a prerequisite course. Despite the F, I think those other six grades would push my GPA up. These grades haven't been updated in to PTCAS yet even though I sent the transcript through my school but only did so this week. Not that I think that matters as my GRE scores are too low.

Other things about me. I've been working as a Licensed PTA since January 2007. But for 5 years I worked in only one spot: a nursing home that was sub acute to long term. I have no Pediatric experience except maybe observing very little while I was doing my clinical at one hospital during PTA school. But all my experience is really just nursing home/skilled nursing facility.

Only volunteer/extracurricular work I did was in my current school during Open House.

I have 3 references, two from PTs that I worked with (one of them being my boss/director) and one from a COTA I worked with.

I made the Dean's List in May 2011.

3 places I worked that were non-PT related. All in retail sales.

I have certificates and licenses for CPR and AED, and First Aid in addition to my PTA license.

I think I did a good essay.

I have since last spring finished all the prerequisites for UMDNJ and will have bachelors in Communication Studies in May 2012.

And last and I believe least is my GRE scores of Verbal: 144, Quantitative: 143 and Analytical: 4.

Last edited:
...if we did not receive an acceptance or rejection letter, does that mean that we've been wait-listed?

Hey does anyone know if UMDNJ has a gym??

Also, I never saw their library on the tour...is it nice?

Hey does anyone know if UMDNJ has a gym??

Also, I never saw their library on the tour...is it nice?

I remember for my tour that they mentioned that there are gyms at the dorms. I could be wrong though, so don't take my word for it lol. As for their library, I didn't see it either.

Has there been anyone to receive an acceptance letter who did not receive the unofficial acceptance e-mail?

Has there been anyone to receive an acceptance letter who did not receive the unofficial acceptance e-mail?

I don't think it would matter at all if you didn't receive the email. The email was just a head-up acceptance notification, with no other useful information. Just complete your acceptance letter stuff and you should be set!

I recieved the acceptance email but I am stilll waiting on my packet. Hopefully it comes tomorrow!!

Has anyone not received anything? I interviewed on 1/3 and have not received ANY correspondence whatsoever.

I haven't received anything either. I interviewed on the 3rd as well. I do live in California though so whatever letter was sent out will probably take longer for me to receive.

I haven't received anything either. I interviewed on the 3rd as well. I do live in California though so whatever letter was sent out will probably take longer for me to receive.

I will probably call tomorrow morning. I live in New Jersey so I am baffled as to why I haven't been notified of anything. Correct me if I am wrong, but they did say that we would be made aware of decisions by the end of January?

I think all she said was that letters would be sent out by the end of January by regular mail. But yea if you don't get it by tomorrow I'd give them a call. I'm not expecting it until at least Friday.

Did anyone who received the acceptance email apart of the 3+3 program that UMDNJ offers?

I got interviewed at UMDNJ stratford on Jan 12, I emailed one of the faculty there today and was told that I should get response in the 2nd or 3rd week of Feb, am I on the waitlist?

How many of you have already received offers from UMDNJ stratford?

I just spoke to someone at UMDNJ who said that there was an error with processing all the letters in their mailroom and only half were actually sent out. They were able to rectify the issue yesterday and all were processed and everyone should be notified by the end of this week.

I just spoke to someone at UMDNJ who said that there was an error with processing all the letters in their mailroom and only half were actually sent out. They were able to rectify the issue yesterday and all were processed and everyone should be notified by the end of this week.
You mean UMDNJ newark? how about stratford?

Thanks, anyone knows what is going on with Stratford compus?

Hey, I had my interview with Stratford on October 29th and received my acceptance package on December 22nd. Not sure how much this helps you but it DID take a while....

(Not going there though).

Hey, I had my interview with Stratford on October 29th and received my acceptance package on December 22nd. Not sure how much this helps you but it DID take a while....

(Not going there though).
So it seems at least two batches got acceptance, one batch in Dec 2011 like you, another batch on Jan 19 (see above reply). where are you going to? why not UMDNJ stratford? can you share some information? Thanks

Has anyone been notified that they have been waitlisted at UMDNJ Newark? Or just accept/reject so far? I am wondering what their process is.