Umiami Nueroscience/Business Double Major

Started by luckyMD11
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luckyMD11

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
I am going to be a freshman next fall in the Umiami direct med program, but I need a 3.7 GPA to stay in the program. I really want to double major in nueroscience and health sector management/policy. Would this be feasible to complete in 4 years with GPA of 3.7 or higher? I am also coimng in with 21-28 credits from AP's.
 
Sorry to see no one has answered. I was refraining from answering because I didn't have firsthand experience to offer you but I wanted you to get at least one response so... You might be able to do that but I really do not see the reason why. I usually recommend doing what you are interested in but when it comes to that program, you can do 3 or 4 years. Why not just do the neuroscience major in the 3 years, start med school, and then get an MPA or MHA? You would then have a valuable credential to apply to the helath sector management/policy side of things rather than an undergraduate degree in something similar? The masters would carry more weight and when you shave a year off with the direct med program, you can use that time to get the masters later without being another year "behind."

I would encourage you to look at some other options including their other dual degrees like the MBA. I personally wanted to be a part of their M.D./M.S in Genomic Medicine program when I applied. Unfortunately, I didn't get an interview. Fortunately, I got into a different school I really wanted to go to.

Congrats by the way!