UMiami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Curious Tom

Got a late interview at Umiami. It seems it's a great school. My only concern is its relatively high expense and the annual hurricanes that may interrupt studies each year. I wonder whether it's worth spending $500 for this interview. Any UMiami students have any input?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I LOVE this school and so I'm probably not the most objective person to ask. However, here's my $0.02....

I didn't want to come to UM when I was applying and so I went to my interview mainly as a "practice" for some of my dream schools. When I interviewed, though, I was really struck by the atmosphere of the school - it's a very high-energy, happy program with a definite "work hard, play hard" mentality. There is a strong emphasis on extracurricular activities and the administration encourages a lot of involvement. For me this was great, because I felt like I fit right in. However, I can understand how a more introverted person might feel like they get left by the wayside.

The clinical experience you will get at JMH is outstanding. Even as a first-year, I was able to deliver babies and scrub in on brain surgeries without any problem. First and second-year students get to work in a weekly outpatient clinic where they learn physical exam skills and how to present/write up patients. By the time third year came around, I felt like the transition to clinical clerkships was no big deal. By being a little proactive on the wards, I have gotten to do a LOT on each rotation (administering ECT, opening and closing an ELap, etc.). The residents and attendings have all (so far) been enthusiastic, friendly, and eager to teach.

The first and second year curriculum has changed slightly since I did it, but it is still organ-system based and is being modified each year based on suggestions from the students. The feedback I've heard on it has been good.

Yes, the tuition is a lot. But honestly, my decision came down to "where am I going to be happiest?" because I figure that twenty years from now the tuition I paid in medical school is not going to make a huge difference in my financial situation. We all take out loans, and we're all in a huge amount of debt. But I don't think anyone loses any sleep over it.

Finally, I give credit to Hurricane Frances for saving my sanity on Ob-Gyn. If that storm hadn't caused my last call night to be canceled I think I would have had a nervous breakdown.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Hope to see you down here sometime soon! :D

I just interviewed at UM a few days back ........ a great education ..

I agree with the previous poster. When I interviewed there, I had no idea the students are so involved in so many things form free-clinic to Haiti trip to other medical programs in Central/South America. The interview day changed my opinion about UM quite a bit. I have moved that school into my top 5 bracket as of now. The administration seemed quite involved and then gave students the control (all the clubs/med societies) are student run. I really liked the idea of med socities where the upperclass men taught other the clinical stuff,.... drawing blood, etc etc........

Furthermore, tons of research opps right on the campus.......

And hey when most of US is cold, you could be jogging on the beach in high 70s .... I think that was also a major part in my decision .....

Well no harm in checking it out though ......

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious Tom said:
Got a late interview at Umiami. It seems it's a great school. My only concern is its relatively high expense and the annual hurricanes that may interrupt studies each year. I wonder whether it's worth spending $500 for this interview. Any UMiami students have any input?

thanks

So did you accept the interview? Miami is really a great school and I love being here. Well except today, when it is 12:00 a.m on a saturday and I am cramming for my Micro and Immuno exam.

Good Luck though!

Curious Tom said:

thanks

hi, when were u complete, given the interview, and when is it scheduled for?

THank you for asking.
In fact, I am packing my swim trunk and hawaiian shirt now. I will be flying out to Miami in few hours. I keep hearing "It's a great school." So I decided to spend the hard earned money to see the school and the vicinity myself.

I was done with applications fairly early, AMCAS in June, Secondaries in July and got the interview invitation several weeks ago. Sorry, I don't keep track of all the dates because I'm not to concerned about the process. I lean toward the view of destiny and let life takes care of itself and I just enjoy the ride whatever the outcome.

Hope the weather in Miami is sunny this weekend.

Curious Tom said:
THank you for asking.
In fact, I am packing my swim trunk and hawaiian shirt now. I will be flying out to Miami in few hours. I keep hearing "It's a great school." So I decided to spend the hard earned money to see the school and the vicinity myself.

I was done with applications fairly early, AMCAS in June, Secondaries in July and got the interview invitation several weeks ago. Sorry, I don't keep track of all the dates because I'm not to concerned about the process. I lean toward the view of destiny and let life takes care of itself and I just enjoy the ride whatever the outcome.

Hope the weather in Miami is sunny this weekend.

good perspective, but what did u mean by late interview (i thought u meant late in the year, like March or Feb)

bb88 said:
good perspective, but what did u mean by late interview (i thought u meant late in the year, like March or Feb)

"Late" with respect to the other interviews, and the fact that many have already been interviewed and accepted by UMiami.

except me ::: runs off to the corner so she can cry :::

Finally got some free moment to write here.
The interview went very smooth and relaxed. To be brief, what I liked are the following: the proximity of the major hospitals and research centers right around the campus;the early and full exposure to clinical training as symbolized by the long white coat that students get; diverse student body; relatively relaxed atmosphere; weather although not comparable to southern CA; large hispanic population so that I get to practice my spanish; neurology being one of their major specialties; and finally the no-nonsense-crap-or-hot-aired-bs-down-to-earth attitude as reflected in Dr. Hinkley the admission dean.
The fact that the interviewers themselves came and got us one by one impressed me greatly. That showed how much they care about their students.
Also for single guys like me, there seem to be far more lovely female students at UMiami than anywhere else I've been to.

One bad thing: the campus is surrounded by hospitals separated totally from undergrad or other grad schools. So, if one lives on campus, one will be surrounded by medically related people all day long.

yep it is a tight school. and the city is beautiful. i dont understand though why my alma mata is not showing me any love. 2nd time too

DieselPetrolGrl said:
except me ::: runs off to the corner so she can cry :::

OH MY GOD :eek:
i got one i got one
I GOT THE GOLDEN TICKET..um um ..i mean i got a interview
wheewwwwww :thumbup:

DieselPetrolGrl said:
OH MY GOD :eek:
i got one i got one
I GOT THE GOLDEN TICKET..um um ..i mean i got a interview
wheewwwwww :thumbup:

coool, congrats.