UMICH interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
9/10: PowderPhan, calstudent
9/17: ambrosia, dogbyte
10/1: bakedlay, IndyZX (implied)
10/15: kush4444
10/22: tic112

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I called this afternoon and they had a spot for me on the 24th, so I took that. Roundtrip airfare from Austin to Detroit? $235. I'll probably be in Ann Arbor by 10 or 11pm on Thursday night and I'm leaving at around 5:30pm on Friday.

9/17: ambrosia, dogbyte
9/24: IndyZX
10/1: bakedlay

Count me in, too. This should be fun...good luck all.

9/17: ambrosia, dogbyte, sandg

Members don't see this ad :)
9/17: ambrosia, dogbyte, sandg
10/15: kush4444, kikkoman

word.

9/17: ambrosia, dogbyte, sandg, 110HRDL
10/22: tic

me also

Creatine said:
DrThom,

Approximately a week after my application was complete (secondary app, letters, photo, and app fee), I checked my status page, and it mentioned that I had been granted an interview and that I would receive a letter in the mail shortly. Good luck buddy.

I thought you submit LORs and photo to UMich only after you've been granted an interview? :confused:

Jason

Jason110 said:
I thought you submit LORs and photo to UMich only after you've been granted an interview? :confused:

Jason

I believe for auto-interview, you send them after being granted the interview.
For regular style, you send them first, then your file is reviewed, then you get an interview.

9/17: ambrosia, sandg, 110HRDL
10/22: tic, dogbyte

I didn't receive the letter until yesterday. I called earlier this morning. The earliest available date is on 10/22. I wonder how many people they interview each day.

10/22: tic, dogbyte, leverp2000

Yup, same here. I called today and the earliest was the 22nd. I've had the letter send to my permanent address, so I didn't receive it until yesterday.

10/22: tic, dogbyte, leverp2000, Creatine

Yep, earliest opening was 10/22. I guess you've got to be faster to get those coveted early interview dates in September!

Creatine said:

Yep, earliest opening was 10/22. I guess you've got to be faster to get those coveted early interview dates in September!

I'm tempted to put down my interview date, but fear loss of my anonymity ;)

*sniffle* this thread continues to depress me...

but good luck to those who have interviews, you guys ROCK

congrats on the invites!! good luck. :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
leechy said:
I'm tempted to put down my interview date, but fear loss of my anonymity ;)

heh... i have the same sentiments :laugh:

fun8stuff said:
heh... i have the same sentiments :laugh:

it's like, rabid SDNer yells in the middle of financial aid presentation: "will the real fun8stuff please stand up??"

:laugh:

i think there is nothing to be lost by posting your date! just do it (my opinion, at least).

i don't think anyonymity is that important (people like Indy and Dr. Thom have profiles, after all), and at least you can meet some of your (potentially) future classmates, and it will make for more fun gossip as the season rolls on.

leechy said:
it's like, rabid SDNer yells in the middle of financial aid presentation: "will the real fun8stuff please stand up??"

:laugh:

haha, yeah... I don't think I will mind revealing who I am once I am a student somewhere, but I just don't think I want to during interview day. The day is going to be stressful enough.

Hey Dudes,

I got the interview invite! Dont know which day i'll be able to pick yet, I'll probably be looking at late october/early november though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/29: djohnston

got the letter today. My first interview- what a feeling! I almost thought it was a reject pre-secondary cuz I hadn't submitted mine yet.

Congrats to the last 2 of you. HOpe this thread stays busy. :thumbup:

hey guys, just got an invite today, but i have a question...i checked my online status and it says "you have been selected for an interivew...yadda yadda yadda....we will send you a letter for interview dates." for those of you who have already gotten the letter, does it let you choose your interview dates, or do they just give you one and then tell you to change it if you like?

it gives you a bunch of options, and then you have to call them and tell them what you want!

thanks so much!

Good luck to all of you all. Michigan is a rockin' school. If you ever have any questions about the school, if you do a search on my name or Michigan, you'll get tons of answers that I posted during the last app cycle. If you haven't gotten an interview yet, don't worry. Plenty of people interview late and get in. Including people accepted off the waitlist, I think there is a 50% acceptance rate for interviews. That's not official though.

If you're accepted, be sure to come to the 2nd look weekend. I guarantee you'll have a blast. (yes, I'm a little premature on that)

By the way, if there are any UMMS M1's out there who would like to start fielding SDN ?'s and take the place of GoodMonkey, StreetPhilospher, and I, I would be greatful.

SunnyS81 said:
By the way, if there are any UMMS M1's out there who would like to start fielding SDN ?'s and take the place of GoodMonkey, StreetPhilospher, and I, I would be greatful.
yeah I'll keep an eye out for stuff. looking forward to meeting you at some point in the next few weeks, sunny.

11/19: microTAS

seems like this thread got buried. And where's all the november people??

microTAS said:

seems like this thread got buried. And where's all the november people??

i found out i was invited for an interivew on 8/12, and by then, the earliest available date i could interview for was 12/3. looks like they're getting busy.

and for people who are already at umich med, do you have any recommendations as to where to stay?

anitat said:
i found out i was invited for an interivew on 8/12, and by then, the earliest available date i could interview for was 12/3. looks like they're getting busy.

and for people who are already at umich med, do you have any recommendations as to where to stay?

i signed up for 12/3 as well. just called them this morning. i guess i'll be seing you anitat. ;)

12/3: anitat, i77ac

10/15: kush4444, kikkoman, j0ker918

My classmate and I are goin on the 15th.

damn, looks like they are scheduling pretty far our already. michigan is really on top of things.

bumping to see if any umich people have suggestions as to where to stay for the interview ...

anitat said:
If you contact the admissions office ahead of time, they'll place you with a student to spend the night.

So this thread is seriously depressing me right now...I'm thinking my chances of even getting an interview are pretty slim which kinda sucks because Umich was one of my top choices.

But my stats arent that great ( 3.5, 33R Duke Univ Ugrad, Umich Grad)

Ahh well...sulking now...

For those of you who received interviews after submitting your secondary/LORS/photo (as opposed to auto-interview), how long was it between the admissions office's receipt of all your materials and you hearing back from them about an interview? Just wondering--I received the email about submitting LORs and my photo a few weeks ago, but had to hold off on submission because I was abroad and couldn't mail a photo (unless I ripped out my passport photo from my passport....but I don't think customs or security officials would have bought the old "applying to med school" excuse) and also because a prof still hadn't faxed a form to the career center. The admissions office has now received both the LORs and my photo, so I'm just wondering when I might hear something from them at the earliest. Thanks :)

bidster said:
For those of you who received interviews after submitting your secondary/LORS/photo (as opposed to auto-interview), how long was it between the admissions office's receipt of all your materials and you hearing back from them about an interview? Just wondering--I received the email about submitting LORs and my photo a few weeks ago, but had to hold off on submission because I was abroad and couldn't mail a photo (unless I ripped out my passport photo from my passport....but I don't think customs or security officials would have bought the old "applying to med school" excuse) and also because a prof still hadn't faxed a form to the career center. The admissions office has now received both the LORs and my photo, so I'm just wondering when I might hear something from them at the earliest. Thanks :)

hey bidster, i think it was only a day or two after umich had received all of my materials that they offered me an interview. i actually didn't find out until i received the paper invite because i didn't bother checking my online status, thinking they wouldn't get around to my app until later. they're efficient people over there. good luck!

anitat said:
hey bidster, i think it was only a day or two after umich had received all of my materials that they offered me an interview. i actually didn't find out until i received the paper invite because i didn't bother checking my online status, thinking they wouldn't get around to my app until later. they're efficient people over there. good luck!

same with me, they work real fast. i got my invite in about 2/3 days after they received my secondary.

10/1: bakedlay, BialyAniol7-13

for those of you who didn't get the auto interview, did your status skip immediately to interview invite?

my status page says, "Your file has had a preliminary screening by the Admissions Office for the MD program. Determination of the next step of review will take place at a later time and you will be notified if your status changes."

does that mean that they have looked at my app and have not decided to interview me at this time?

I just recently completed the web secondary. You're not suppose to send in your LOR"s unless they request it right? or do you just send it in after you submit your secondary? They're kinda vague on that.

But I doubt i'll get an interview. My stats aren't stellar 3.75 31Q. Okay, but not as high as you folks.

purple_rainbow said:
for those of you who didn't get the auto interview, did your status skip immediately to interview invite?

my status page says, "Your file has had a preliminary screening by the Admissions Office for the MD program. Determination of the next step of review will take place at a later time and you will be notified if your status changes."

does that mean that they have looked at my app and have not decided to interview me at this time?

hey purple, mine went straight to interview, I didn't read anything like that...good luck!

Uegis said:
You're not suppose to send in your LOR"s unless they request it right?
That's right. Oh, and don't sell yourself short. You have fine numbers.

I actually belong to the last year's application cycle, but I wanted to give everyone a little sigh of relief.

For those that are wondering why they still haven't gotten interview invites yet - dont worry too much. My invite came three months after secondaries were received. I thought I might not be a primary candidate, but once I went to the interviews, they decided to admit me right there. So, dont stress if you didn't get a rapid interview invites, application cycle has only started.

Also, for those who really want to go to UMich, stay confident! UMich is known to have a very high wait-list turnover rate. Apparently UMich accepts a lot of applicants early in the cycle, hence the rapid interview invites, but a lot of accepted applicants decline their offers later in the cycle, resulting in almost half or more of class coming from waitlists.

I can't be sure this year would be same, but this was the story from last year's cycle.

UMich is a great school, and I liked Ann Arbor. Best luck to everyone, and
hang in there, it's a tough few months ahead, but before you know it, you will be there!

CY.

courtyard said:
Apparently UMich accepts a lot of applicants early in the cycle, hence the rapid interview invites, but a lot of accepted applicants decline their offers later in the cycle, resulting in almost half or more of class coming from waitlists.
This is not really all that true. The reason why UMich has such an active waitlist is that they accept ourtight a relatively small percentage of their interviewees. Most people are waitlisted off the bat. Then, as interview season progresses, the admissions office begins to let people off the list in the order in which they are ranked. When all is said and done, it amounts to the same number being accepted as with other methods; the difference lies in the timing. Bottom line is, don't worried about being waitlisted following your interview. The rumors that UMich has an active waitlist throughout the admissions process are true.

Has anyone heard of what happens to people who have later interviews (Jan to Feb bracket)? Does this mean that you were just later getting your stuff in or that you are lower priority? Thanks for the info.

JumpingGenes said:
Has anyone heard of what happens to people who have later interviews (Jan to Feb bracket)? Does this mean that you were just later getting your stuff in or that you are lower priority? Thanks for the info.

hopefully just that we were late getting our stuff in. i just submitted my secondary a few days ago, and i got the interview invite already. i don't have the cutoffs for the automatic interview, but i still got one relatively quickly. this is my first interview invite, so i'm excited! i'm going to call to schedule it tomorrow, but the earliest they still have open is jan. 21st. hopefully that doesn't put us at a disadvantage. glad to hear the waitlist is active in case i get stuck on it.

I got my "invite by status change" on Friday, just waiting for the scheduling letter now. Maybe someone will cancel and I can sneak in an October interview? Hee hee, I suppose it'll be January or February. Still, I'm very pleased to be interviewing at UMichigan. Great rankings in both research and primary care, and Ann Arbor seems really great.

*sigh*

UMich...my #1 choice...

Please release me from my pre-interview hold....

Please like me...

JumpingGenes said:

Although I have read that people with auto-interviews do have increased chances because they interview early, I think Michigan's scheduling of interviews into winter has a lot to do with the fact that they only interview on Fridays....I wouldn't worry too much about what the month in which you interview "means" :)

10/1: bakedlay, BialyAniol7-13
1/28: LauraMac