UMich (OOS) vs UNLV (IS) vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WelcomeToTheJungle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I think I know where I'm leaning in these choices, but I would really appreciate any input you guys have towards these schools based on the pros, cons, and your knowledge of these schools. There's been a lot of stressful thinking when it comes to this.

UMich
Pros:
- Received scholarship that knocks COA to approximately in-state cost (~$350k)
- Top-tier program
- Fun college town (college-feel is important to me)
- Newly renovated facilities (by the time I'm in clinic at least)

Cons:
- Far from home
- Heard about high student stress and burnout (??)
- Cold weather
- Need two more undergrad classes to meet their long prerequisite list

USC
Pros:
- Location (I'd like to end up in California after graduation at some point)
- I enjoyed PBL quite a lot
- High ranked program
- Students seem un-stressed by the program

Cons:
- EXTREMELY expensive (~$600k COA)

UNLV
Pros:
- In-state
- Low-cost (~$300k)
- Lots of clinic experience across all specialities

Cons:
- Nevada is broke state right now (which directly impacts university funding)
- High student stress/burnout
- Location (no college feel here, purely a commuter school)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I think I know where I'm leaning in these choices, but I would really appreciate any input you guys have towards these schools based on the pros, cons, and your knowledge of these schools. There's been a lot of stressful thinking when it comes to this.

UMich
Pros:
- Received scholarship that knocks COA to approximately in-state cost (~$350k)
- Top-tier program
- Fun college town (college-feel is important to me)
- Newly renovated facilities (by the time I'm in clinic at least)

Cons:
- Far from home
- Heard about high student stress and burnout (??)
- Cold weather
- Need two more undergrad classes to meet their long prerequisite list

USC
Pros:
- Location (I'd like to end up in California after graduation at some point)
- I enjoyed PBL quite a lot
- High ranked program
- Students seem un-stressed by the program

Cons:
- EXTREMELY expensive (~$600k COA)

UNLV
Pros:
- In-state
- Low-cost (~$300k)
- Lots of clinic experience across all specialities

Cons:
- Nevada is broke state right now (which directly impacts university funding)
- High student stress/burnout
- Location (no college feel here, purely a commuter school)
do not even consider U$C

Reactions: 4 users
like the previous comment stated... i personally don’t see any reason to consider USC. You could probably go to UNLV SDM 2x over with the COA of USC lolol.

If it were to come down to UMich and UNLV, I would go to UNLV considering the COA is in-state and pretty low. Knowing some D1&D2’s myself, UNLV’s faculty tries their best to help out their students if they see anyone struggling— i think having a great support system in your early years will lessen the feeling of burnout/stress (regardless, though, dental school is going to be stressful wherever you go).

The second thing that draws me toward UNLV is clinical experience. UNLV is located in a pretty populated city, and located specifically in an area where dental care is of high demand....that really equates to more ability to perform more procedures in your D3&D4 years. UNLV also has an outstanding community outreach programs that allow you to gain that experience and land you a decent-paying job straight out of UNLV.

Im not sure if you’re interested in specialty programs, but of the 3 (i think? i’m pretty sure it’s endo, pediatrics, & ortho), UNLV’s ortho program director greatly favors its UNLV students (though, it is pretty expensive from what i’ve heard).

If i knew more about UMich, I’d give you my honest opinion about there... judging from your pros/cons list on UMich, it doesn’t seem like a bad school at all (especially because of that scholarship). Message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
I hear Michigan is rigorous, it’s name carries weight when applying to residencies, clinical experience is patient pool dependent (some students are patient rich, some patient poor), ann arbor is nice if you like the small college town vibe and watching football, snows a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear Michigan is rigorous, it’s name carries weight when applying to residencies, clinical experience is patient pool dependent (some students are patient rich, some patient poor), ann arbor is nice if you like the small college town vibe and watching football, snows a lot.
In your opinion, is Michigan worth the extra ~$25k-50k ? It seems like the name of school may be worth that extra price?

In your opinion, is Michigan worth the extra ~$25k-50k ? It seems like the name of school may be worth that extra price?
The costs are comparable, so if that’s where you want to go, it would not necessarily be a financially irresponsible choice. USC would be ha

I think you can also take in consideration on whether or not you want to specialize when choosing between UMich and UNLV

I think you can also take in consideration on whether or not you want to specialize when choosing between UMich and UNLV
I think that I plan on working right after dental school, but going back to specialize after some work experience. Would Michigan give me opportunities if I were to go that route?

I think that I plan on working right after dental school, but going back to specialize after some work experience. Would Michigan give me opportunities if I were to go that route?
I don't think I can give you a good answer on that since I am not a dental school student yet, but I heard on sdn that more prestigious schools give you a better chance of specializing, especially UMichigan being the top dental school in the US.

It may or may not help. The name of the game is to keep your rank high. If you are ranked high at michigan that could carry some significant weight with residencies, but if you rank below top 1/3rd, which can happen if you don’t stay vigilant in a competitive program like mich, then going there would hurt your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't consider USC. Between UNLV and UMICH can't go wrong based on what you're looking for. Would lean UNLV if you want to practice in California.

Reactions: 1 users
It may or may not help. The name of the game is to keep your rank high. If you are ranked high at michigan that could carry some significant weight with residencies, but if you rank below top 1/3rd, which can happen if you don’t stay vigilant in a competitive program like mich, then going there would hurt your chances.
^

OP has probably made their decision by now, but I thought I would share this here to give some perspectives to future pre-dents. I know two class of 2020 graduates, one from UMich and one from UNLV. The UMich grad told me that the clinical experiences he received at Michigan were very minimal. The only thing that gave him a lot of experiences was the 9-12 weeks externships at off-campus clinics. That was before the pandemic, now I can only imagine that classes of 2021 and 2022 get to do even fewer procedures. On the other hand, the UNLV grad got to do tons of procedures throughout his entire time in dental school from D2 to D4 year. Both of my friends matched to their first choice specialty program (two different specialties) and both will start residency this July. So you can definitely specialize from any school. If costs are about the same and you value clinical experiences, definitely go for UNLV.

Last edited:
OP has probably made their decision by now, but I thought I would share this here to give some perspectives to future pre-dents. I know two class of 2020 graduates, one from UMich and one from UNLV. The UMich grad told me that the clinical experiences he received at Michigan were very minimal. The only thing that gave him a lot of experiences was the 9-12 weeks externships at off-campus clinics. That was before the pandemic, now I can only imagine that classes of 2021 and 2022 get to do even fewer procedures. On the other hand, the UNLV grad got to do tons of procedures throughout his entire time in dental school from D2 to D4 year. Both of my friends matched to their first choice specialty program (two different specialties) and both will start residency this July. So you can definitely specialize from any school. If costs are about the same and you value clinical experiences, definitely go for UNLV.
IMG_5912.JPG

Not to throw shade at UMich, I still think it is a very reputable school, in fact one of the top in the nation academically, with very great specialty programs that for sure will help their students to specialize. But this is the experience of a current D3 at UMich, just to give you some perspectives (credit: Dental Nachos facebook group). Hopefully once the pandemic is over their clinical training can be great again.