UMich Pathology: The biggest name of all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
He is up for parole next year IF he lives that long. Rumor has it, he maybe teaching PGY-1s soon after!

Notice the terminology from this article:
In 1945, Jack Kevorkian enrolled into the University of Michigan and graduated from medical school in 1952. His specialty was pathology, the study of corpses to determine the cause of death. (! :laugh: )His medical career was interupted for 15 months while he served in the Army during the Korean War. After being discharged he began his residencies at Pontiac General Hospital then at Detriot Recieving where he earned the nickname "Dr. Death." The reason for this nickname was because he would rush between dying patients taking pictures of changes that occured in their eyes as they died. He believed this would be benificial so that doctors could see the exact moment of death, showing when resuscitation should or shouldn't be performed.

Kevorkian finishes his residency at University of Michigan Medical Center. He attended a seminar in 1958 where information was presented that caused Kevorkian to research the history of autopsies. During his research he found that his ancestors, the Armenians, performed experiments on men condemned to death. Kevorkian began visiting prisons and writing articles about the benefits of testing on prisoners on death row. An experiment that he felt would be beneficial was testing new medications on prisoners. According to him, it would save money on research and finding new cures. He was asked to stop persuing this by his boss at the University of Michigan. He then quit and went back to Pontiac General.

One day while Kevorkian was an intern he saw a middleaged woman severly dying of cancer. From this point he believed that Assisted Suicide was the most ethical way to allow the woman die. In 1986 he became aware that the Netherlands were performing euthanasia on terminally ill patients. He wrote many articles in this area but they were so controversial that they were only published in the German journal Medicine and Law. In 1989 Kevorkian built his first death machine for $30 with scraps he bought at garage sales and junk yards. He named his machine Thanatron which is Greek for "death machine."

In November 1991 the state Board of Medicine revoked Kevorkian's licenece to practice medicine in Michigan. By June 1997 Kevorkian had been prosecuted in four murder cases in Michigan. Three of which ended in jury acquittals and one in a mistrial. On September 17, 1998 Kevorkian commited a felony by causing the death of Thomas Youk. What made this case different is that rather than allowing the patient to inject the lethal dose, Kevorkian took it upon himself to inject the drugs into the patient. He was charged with first degree murder. Kevorkian decided to represent himself rather than allowing Geofrey Fieger represent him. He was found guilty of second degree murder on April 13, 1999.

OKAY, I think we should write a group SDN letter to him. Who is with me?
Dr. Jack Kevorkian

Prisoner #284797

Egeler Correctional Facility

3855 Cooper Street

Jackson, MI 49201-7517

Members don't see this ad.

Whenever they give the tours to aspiring med students, they always stop by the composite picture of the class of 1952 and show everyone Kevorkian's picture.

I'm not sure if they stop by the class of 1989 or whatever it was and show everyone Dr Sanjay Gupta's picture. :laugh:

yaah said:
Whenever they give the tours to aspiring med students, they always stop by the composite picture of the class of 1952 and show everyone Kevorkian's picture.

I'm not sure if they stop by the class of 1989 or whatever it was and show everyone Dr Sanjay Gupta's picture. :laugh:

This is interesting. Will have to check it out. :laugh:

LADoc - can I ask the link for the article?

beary said:
This is interesting. Will have to check it out. :laugh:

LADoc - can I ask the link for the article?

Sorry was hack cut and paste job. I dont know where I got that from, link of a link of a link type thing.