UMich vs DMC vs Henry Ford Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyChica57

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am interested in a psychiatry residency, and I would really like to do one in Southeastern Michigan. Could anyone give me any information on what the residencies are like at University of Michigan, Henry Ford or the Detroit Medical Center?

I am looking for information including the competitiveness of the residency, the quality of training/teaching the residents receive, how happy the residents at that place are, the number of hours the average resident works per week, the average call schedule and any other suggestions you may have about these programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed at Henry Ford and i REALLY liked it..from what i saw the program is very IMG-friendly, the faculty is extremely approachable esp the PD who I thought was wonderful. I also liked the fact that it was a very academic environment. The residents I spoke to sounded pretty happy even though i got the impression that the hours were pretty long esp in intern year. I think the only negative was location, although I believe a lot of residents live in nearby suburbs so it may not be that bad.

in terms of competiveness from top to bottom i feel it is U Mich - Henry Ford - Wayne State. i interviewed at the last 2. i think i liked henry better but wayne does have better research at least for basic sciences. henry has an interesting philosophy and also it is an interesting system of health care. what will cause both detroit programs to ranked low by me is that they are in michigan. although i do like windsor an awful lot and would have stayed there if it werent for the delays at the border. some residents do live in windsor actually. i did hear one of the detroit suburbs is 7th in terms of wealth. however i will be rankin my california and other programs a lot higher mainly due to location. i was born in ann arbor btw.