UMich vs MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgirl89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the university of michigan (where i'm a resident) and midwestern-arizona. In terms of cost, michigan is desirable, but what are some selling points for each school? Is the clinical experience that much better at mwu than at umich to justify the large difference in cost? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is in fact a serious question. There are things I like about both schools, but I'm wondering what other people think...maybe there are aspects of both that I've overlooked. My main question is whether the clinical experience is that much better at mwu. What have people heard?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a couple of friends that go to mwu arizona and they say the clinical experience is top notch, have a ton of patients every year, and they are having a great time there. Havent heard much from Michigan. I confirmed my acceptance to Maryland next year so I don't have a bias opinion lol.

It is in fact a serious question. There are things I like about both schools, but I'm wondering what other people think...maybe there are aspects of both that I've overlooked. My main question is whether the clinical experience is that much better at mwu. What have people heard?

I would chose Michigan for the following reasons:

-costs way less than MWU-AZ
-your home state
-the Michigan name helps if you want to specialize
-Michigan is more established

Ultimately its your decision to make but if it were me the choice would be U of M, they also have the 10 week externship as a D4 they were talking about during the presentation so that should help you gain more clinical experience if you are worried about that.

The difference between Michigan and MWU-AZ is over $100k. You do realize that right? Ann Arbor is a much nicer place than Glendale as well. I think it would be foolish to pay more than 100k for 'clinical' experience. I heard Michigan has drastically upped the game in terms of clinical experience, though I doubt it will be as good as MWU, it should still be adequate.

Michigan..no question. If your in state why go through the hassle of moving?

The difference between Michigan and MWU-AZ is over $100k. You do realize that right? Ann Arbor is a much nicer place than Glendale as well. I think it would be foolish to pay more than 100k for 'clinical' experience. I heard Michigan has drastically upped the game in terms of clinical experience, though I doubt it will be as good as MWU, it should still be adequate.

+1 Absolutely right!!

The cost of MWU is actually upwards of 140K more than Mich. Besides being life-changingly cheaper, Mich is much more established and respected amongst the dental community. That is not a slam on MWU; Mich has just been around a lot longer. Trust me, i live in Phoenix and have been to a ton of MWU events, the school is awesome, but in no way is that worth 140K. Plus, if you factor in interest on 140K over a 20 year repayment, you are actually looking at closer to 250K of total savings. Furthermore, most of your learning and clinical experience will come from working your first few years out, or doing a GPR. Please, please, please go to Mich.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and I've decided to put down my deposit at Michigan. That has really always been my top choice, but I just had a bit of doubt remaining (since it is such a huge decision). Hearing from all of you has helped solidify the decision for me. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
UltimateHombre I would like your advice about UDM vs. UMN.

UDM is 298k before living expenses
UMN is 333k before living expenses.

The rent for both places should be about the same.
However, at udm, you will have to live about 20-30 mins away from the campus. This is an additional $200 of gas per month..

Do you think its financial reasonable to choose umn over udm?

UltimateHombre I would like your advice about UDM vs. UMN.

UDM is 298k before living expenses
UMN is 333k before living expenses.

The rent for both places should be about the same.
However, at udm, you will have to live about 20-30 mins away from the campus. This is an additional $200 of gas per month..

Do you think its financial reasonable to choose umn over udm?

Don't forget annual tuition increases at UDM. When you factor those in, UDM comes out to around $308k. Just thought I'd let you know

Also, I think you should pick UDM.