UMKC--MD-only program--any info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the MD-only program at UMKC? I checked out the website, and it looks like it is a program in which you enter at Year2 (remember, UMKC has the 6-year BA/MD program) and it is for people who already have a Bachelor's Degree.

Anyone know about MCAT score, minimum GPA, etc? Any info is helpful...

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is through attrition only.

-dg

Friend of mine did the BA/MD program and suggested I look into MD-only. I think dg's right- the only open spots are from those BA/MDs who have decided to withdraw from the program. Therefore number of openings will vary every year.

I won't be applying there for a few reasons- they require several upper-level biology courses which I won't have time to complete before applying, and age. I'm already going to be almost 10 years older than the avg medical student, and second year for these guys puts them at.... 19, maybe 20. I'm wanting some more diversity in my class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey--I'm down for any option that'll get me there, and if I have to take some more classes, so be it. I've waited this long (about 5 years since I finished college), so I might as well prepare myself for anything. Diversity is great, but you can also gain it from professional work experience (which I've been doing for 5 years since college), too. It's no big deal, just get yours. Who cares if they're younger? You might be able to teach them something about life and bring a quality to the program that could help someone out. Let's use our "wisdom" to help somebody else out, too. And who knows you might learn a thing or two from them, or about yourself.

Friend of mine did the BA/MD program and suggested I look into MD-only. I think dg's right- the only open spots are from those BA/MDs who have decided to withdraw from the program. Therefore number of openings will vary every year.

I won't be applying there for a few reasons- they require several upper-level biology courses which I won't have time to complete before applying, and age. I'm already going to be almost 10 years older than the avg medical student, and second year for these guys puts them at.... 19, maybe 20. I'm wanting some more diversity in my class.

Hey--I'm down for any option that'll get me there, and if I have to take some more classes, so be it. I've waited this long (about 5 years since I finished college), so I might as well prepare myself for anything. Diversity is great, but you can also gain it from professional work experience (which I've been doing for 5 years since college), too. It's no big deal, just get yours. Who cares if they're younger? You might be able to teach them something about life and bring a quality to the program that could help someone out. Let's use our "wisdom" to help somebody else out, too. And who knows you might learn a thing or two from them, or about yourself.
I do agree with you, and I know that I can certainly learn from those who are older and younger than me. My diversity of professional experience comes from being a clinical social worker who has been in practice post-Masters for the better part of 10 years, and working with patients of a variety of cultures, races, religions, socioeconomic statuses, educational levels, and spanning ages 3-92 (literally). People never cease to amaze me, confuse me, impress me, and annoy me. Sometimes all in the same therapy hour.

That said, what I do know about myself is that if all goes well in my initial application year, I'll be 34 shortly after I start school. And as much as I love 18-21 year-olds (which, btw, comprises about 1/2 of my private practice clientele), I am no longer in their social peer class, nor should I be at this age. Therefore that has been a part of my decision to not apply there, as my class cohort would be a primary social support wherever I wind up, as it is with most medical students.

UMKC is a good school. It just isn't one that will be a good fit for me.