Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about interviews from UMKC? I've read from past posts that they send invites in early March? Just checking to see if any has had any contact...

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard anything yet either. The deadline to send in updated (fall 09) transcripts was Jan. 25th, based on that I'd say it will probably take them a few weeks to review all of them. Good luck!

I haven't heard anything since the beginning of December when I was told that I needed to submit my fall transcript and that they looked forward to receiving my PCAT scores from January. I am very anxious as to what is going on. If you hear anything, keep us posted. I will do the same. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview at UMKC the last couple of years in a row, so based on my experiences, this is the time when they are gathering the transcripts and reviewing PCAT scores. Normally, they start to invite people for interviews at the end of February or beginning of March, since they usually have 2 interview dates (2nd Saturday or last Saturday in March). They'll give you a phone call if they haven't received your transcripts, but the interview invitations should be via email. Hope that helps and good luck hearing back from them!

thanks for the info. From your experience, what do you need to be competitive for an interview in terms of GPA and PCAT?

I had my interview at UMKC the last couple of years in a row, so based on my experiences, this is the time when they are gathering the transcripts and reviewing PCAT scores. Normally, they start to invite people for interviews at the end of February or beginning of March, since they usually have 2 interview dates (2nd Saturday or last Saturday in March). They'll give you a phone call if they haven't received your transcripts, but the interview invitations should be via email. Hope that helps and good luck hearing back from them!

thanks for the info. From your experience, what do you need to be competitive for an interview in terms of GPA and PCAT?

My stats aren't that great, but I believe they take the highest score out of all the tests you've taken, for each section (i.e. reading, verbal, chem, bio, etc) on the PCAT. This shouldn't hurt you. Also, I retook 2-3 classes, so I used that as my academic forgiveness. I think those factors boosted myself up. Since it's been a while, I forgot what the average GPA and PCAT score were.

The PCAT is what is worrying me. I have a 3.8 GPA and I just separated from active duty Air Force-6 years as a military pharmacy technician. I am still in the AF Reserves as a pharmacy technician-so almost 7 years total. I am been certified as a CPhT since 2006 and I have extensive EC's due to my military obligations and volunteer work. I do not think I did so well on the PCAT-maybe in the 60's or 70's. I am nervous that I will not get in due to my PCAT score.

tm,
You may have done better than you think. I left out of the PCAT just knowing that I bombed it and ended up with a 95. That may or may not happen to you, but it may not be as bad as you think. Let us know when you get your results. Good luck!

Thanks for that info. It made me feel alot better! I technically was not suppose to apply to UMKC this year, but because they are changing their program I told myself that I will give it a shot. Also, my mother and sister live in Olathe, KS so it is awesome that we get to be where they are. I have a very supportive mother, so I know that we will be in good hands. I did apply to KU just in case I do not get accepted, then I will go there for my undergrad and apply to KU next year for their PharmD program. I am pretty sure that I will get in by then, but if my luck is gone I will apply to dental school with my husband. I have it all mapped out!! I will definitely keep you guys updated with my PCAT score. :xf:

Has anyone heard anything yet about when they send out interview invites? Anything??? I am way in the dark and I am not sure where they are in their process.

I know! I know nothing and have heard nothing. checking your status online doesn't help or tell you anything. I hope we hear something soon. I have some interivews set up already (one for Mercer and one at USN, and 2 other invites) but i would love to at least stay in Missouri and go to either UMKC or SIUE to be close to my family (both my parents have cancer).....Ugh! I wish I knew something...

Has anyone heard anything yet about when they send out interview invites? Anything??? I am way in the dark and I am not sure where they are in their process.

Checking your status online? I have not received anything about that. Is it the pin number system? If it is, No one has told me.

Yeah the waiting is KILLING me :scared:. tm, did you get your PCAT score yet? I don't think they're doing invites til Jan PCAT scores are in :confused:....

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an email to the school and Katie Waechter responded to me. She told me that they are still waiting on my PCAT score and will most likely start inviting people for interviews the end of this month. March will be interview month, April is decision month, and the beginning of May is when they send out acceptances. I thought that they gave out pin numbers, but I guess we check our status on Pathway.

When you filled out the application to UMKC school of pharmacy, you were suppose to first apply through UMKC undergraduate online and then filled out a second application for the pharmacy school itself. UMKC should have emailed you a single sign on id and temporary password so that you can access Pathway. On Pathway (if you go to umkc.edu-main page on bottom right hand side), you are able to check the status of your application. For the past 4-5 months, it has said that my application is complete, but it should take several weeks to process. Since UMKC is a little bit different with their pharmacy program, the first 2 years in the program we are still considered undergraduates. We are not professional students until P3. That is going to affect our scholarships and loans that we are eligible for. Weird, but that is how it works. Do you remember the application process??

Thanks. Yes, I remember now, and I have that email somewhere in my inbox but it's been so long ago I didn't remember it was called Pathway. I'll post again as soon as I hear something from them.

Does anyone know the typical cutoff scores for the 240 people they select for interviews?

I just graduated from the University of Missouri Columbia with a BS in Biochemistry. I have 3.07 GPA and a 95% PCAT. I don't have pharmacy experience, but I do have laboratory research experience, and I had a job that involved working with lab animals for cancer research.

Will being from the same state school network, or having non-pharmacy laboratory experience, have any impact on their decision to accept someone like me for an interview? I'm worried my GPA will get me outright rejected. My GPA for the last two semesters was a 3.5 and 3.3, taking at least 12 credits of upper level sci classes. Hopefully they take positive notice of improving academic performance as well as overall performance...

GL to everyone!

Does anyone know the typical cutoff scores for the 240 people they select for interviews?

I just graduated from the University of Missouri Columbia with a BS in Biochemistry. I have 3.07 GPA and a 95% PCAT. I don't have pharmacy experience, but I do have laboratory research experience, and I had a job that involved working with lab animals for cancer research.

Will being from the same state school network, or having non-pharmacy laboratory experience, have any impact on their decision to accept someone like me for an interview? I'm worried my GPA will get me outright rejected. My GPA for the last two semesters was a 3.5 and 3.3, taking at least 12 credits of upper level sci classes. Hopefully they take positive notice of improving academic performance as well as overall performance...

GL to everyone!

The emphasize on the website that they do not favor in state students over out of state students. It is a public school, so I am not sure about that. I personally believe that you have a good chance due to your PCAT score and your BS. It is a 5 year school (currently) and this is the last 5 year class that they are going to accept. Their cutoff score is a 2.75 for cumulative GPA and 2.5 for science/math GPA. They do not have a minumum score for PCAT, but they stress that the higher the better (a competitive PCAT to UMKC is 75 or above). I do not think that your lack of pharmacy experience will hurt you necessarily, but having experience and being able to talk about it in the interview is a big plus. This tells admissions that you know about pharmacy and you have experience. Also, when they ask about why you decided to come into pharmacy, you can be better prepared due to your experience. Have you applied for this fall? Their deadline was in December. If you did not, they are not going to have a class next year due to a change in their program to a traditional one (2-4). The next class will matriculate in Fall 2012. If you did apply for this fall's class, they will invite people for interviews in the next couple of weeks and they will hold interviews the last 2 saturdays of March. They will use all of April to evaluate interviewees and we should hear about acceptances at the end of April, beginning of May. Good luck to you.

i heard that the interview is just to confirm your position; they stated that the decision on who would be accepted, put on the waitlist, and who would be declined was primarily determined prior to the interview;

The emphasize on the website that they do not favor in state students over out of state students. It is a public school, so I am not sure about that. I personally believe that you have a good chance due to your PCAT score and your BS. It is a 5 year school (currently) and this is the last 5 year class that they are going to accept. Their cutoff score is a 2.75 for cumulative GPA and 2.5 for science/math GPA. They do not have a minumum score for PCAT, but they stress that the higher the better (a competitive PCAT to UMKC is 75 or above). I do not think that your lack of pharmacy experience will hurt you necessarily, but having experience and being able to talk about it in the interview is a big plus. This tells admissions that you know about pharmacy and you have experience. Also, when they ask about why you decided to come into pharmacy, you can be better prepared due to your experience. Have you applied for this fall? Their deadline was in December. If you did not, they are not going to have a class next year due to a change in their program to a traditional one (2-4). The next class will matriculate in Fall 2012. If you did apply for this fall's class, they will invite people for interviews in the next couple of weeks and they will hold interviews the last 2 saturdays of March. They will use all of April to evaluate interviewees and we should hear about acceptances at the end of April, beginning of May. Good luck to you.

I have heard the same thing. I am not sure if it is true or not and it actually sounds kind of scary. Just the unknown is what's freaking me out.

I got an email stating I should complete the Minority Scholarship thing for the PharmD program. Did anyone else get this? I know this is probably just a routine thing, but I would think they would offer you an interview, then ask you to complete this. I have to complete it by March 1st. Just kinda strange to me...

I have heard the same thing. I am not sure if it is true or not and it actually sounds kind of scary. Just the unknown is what's freaking me out.

I got an email stating I should complete the Minority Scholarship thing for the PharmD program. Did anyone else get this? I know this is probably just a routine thing, but I would think they would offer you an interview, then ask you to complete this. I have to complete it by March 1st. Just kinda strange to me...

I applied for the scholarship and sent it in about 2 weeks ago. I also included an essay about how my military experience can contribute to the school and how I can prosper by learning more about the civilian side of pharmacy.

Cool! Well heck, I would think that they should be nice enough to send us interview invites if they are asking for scholarship info! :D
I applied for the scholarship and sent it in about 2 weeks ago. I also included an essay about how my military experience can contribute to the school and how I can prosper by learning more about the civilian side of pharmacy.

iz-n,

Have you applied to this school before? When should they start sending out interview invites and all that good stuff? The wait is so long and I am getting so anxious to hear from them. I am like checking my iphone every hour or so! I am under the impression that it should come any day now.

This is my first time applying to pharmacy school, so I don't know what to expect, especially from UMKC. I would think we would here something soon. I really would like to know so I can make my travel arrangments. I'm from STL, so I wouldn't have to travel that far, but still the wait is killing me too...I hope we here something soon!!!!!!

iz-n,

Have you applied to this school before? When should they start sending out interview invites and all that good stuff? The wait is so long and I am getting so anxious to hear from them. I am like checking my iphone every hour or so! I am under the impression that it should come any day now.

Hi There,
So what I was told from the admissions office from Katie is that they were waiting on the January 2010 PCAT scores to arrive and then they would send out interview invites. I didn't take the PCAT in January, however based on what I have read on the Forums today, people have received their scores in the mail. Yea--hopefully that means we will hear something soon--like this week.

Was everybody pleased with their PCAT scores they received (that is, if they were waiting on it for UMKC)

Yes, I received my score yesterday. I am very unhappy with my score. I feel like this score is going to break me! I still have a little hope, but not very much anymore. This is the only bad thing- my other stuff is stellar and I hope that being in the military should help me out tremendously. Let me know how you do!

Bummer! I think your GPA is outstanding and you should get an interview on that. My GPA is slightly lower, at least a 3.0 (Not sure what it is with academic forgiveness). I think you are an interesting person. The military experience will definitely set you apart.

Yes, I received my score yesterday. I am very unhappy with my score. I feel like this score is going to break me! I still have a little hope, but not very much anymore. This is the only bad thing- my other stuff is stellar and I hope that being in the military should help me out tremendously. Let me know how you do!

Thank you for lifting my spirits! I pray that I can get an interview! Like I stated, the PCAT is the only thing that is hurting me. Good luck and I hope that both of us can meet each other! I will keep you updated. Please do the same.

tm,
I agree with iz-n. With all your experience and your great GPA I think you are a really competitive applicant. Having a really good GPA but sub-par PCAT score seems just to indicate that you're a good student but maybe not a great test-taker. I'm sorry you're disappointed with your PCAT score :( but I have to say I'm glad it finally came in. Hopefully we will all hear from UMKC this week...who knows, maybe we'll be classmates in the fall :xf:...

tm,
I agree with iz-n. With all your experience and your great GPA I think you are a really competitive applicant. Having a really good GPA but sub-par PCAT score seems just to indicate that you're a good student but maybe not a great test-taker. I'm sorry you're disappointed with your PCAT score :( but I have to say I'm glad it finally came in. Hopefully we will all hear from UMKC this week...who knows, maybe we'll be classmates in the fall :xf:...

Thank you so much. I hope that all of us can be classmates in the fall. I also hope that my other things outshine my PCAT score. I wonder if they will send out emails either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Hopefully, it is the beginning of the week and not the end. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Yeah, it would be nice to get an email from them like tomorrow--i mean surely they got the scores before individuals started getting scores. Katie was pretty nice in her email, thanking me for my patience throughout this process....Let's hope we hear something! Hey--doesn't the school in Kansas City have a new buildling for pharmacy students?

Oh yeah--how does financial aid work? This is considered an undergrad program right, but we would be at the professional level, correct? I can't remember if I have asked this before.

Thank you so much. I hope that all of us can be classmates in the fall. I also hope that my other things outshine my PCAT score. I wonder if they will send out emails either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Hopefully, it is the beginning of the week and not the end. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

During the first couple of years (P1 and P2), we are still considered undergraduates, so we will still be able to get financial aid and fill out the FAFSA and get grants, but we are not eligible for the really BIG unsubsidized stafford loans like professional students get. We are not eligible for alot of the undergraduate scholarships that they have at UMKC. Once we are P3 and above, it is the opposite. We can not get government grants like the Pell Grant and others similar to it, but we will get stafford loans (a really bug increase on the unsubsidized version) and professional loans. Of course, we will be able to get the scholarships that the pharmacy school has.

Hi! I'm applying to UMKC as well! I called Pearson last week about Jan. PCAT scores and they were mailed from Iowa City to respective schools on Thursday, so hopefully we will hear something by the middle of the week! Does anyone know how they determine who gets interviewed (I thought it was odd there were no essays for admission).

tm- best of luck to you! I too, got a low Jan. PCAT and am hoping for the best!:rolleyes:

Yeah! Another person applying; that is awesome. I hope that not alot of people applied to this school this year. Then again, this is their last year that they will have a 1-5 program, so maybe their applicants went up? Who knows. I wonder what are their typical number of applicants a year.

I received my PCAT personal score in the mail today-broke down and paid for it on Saturday after I checked the mail and it had not arrived. I am pretty sure that UMKC has received it. Hopefully, we should know something tomorrow or Wednesday. I am so nervous!

Has anyone heard when interview invites will be sent out??

Has anyone heard when interview invites will be sent out??

I emailed Traci Parker-Gray and she told me that they are starting interview invites this week for the March 20 date. You got accepted to Manchester? That is awesome. Congrats!!! I do hope to see you in the fall, though. :)

Oh my! I heard that they send the invites through email. We will definitely have to be in touch through this forum so we can be sure to check our emails for invites! Thanks for the update!

I emailed Traci Parker-Gray and she told me that they are starting interview invites this week for the March 20 date. You got accepted to Manchester? That is awesome. Congrats!!! I do hope to see you in the fall, though. :)

Oh my! I heard that they send the invites through email. We will definitely have to be in touch through this forum so we can be sure to check our emails for invites! Thanks for the update!

Yeah, I have been stalking my iphone for the past couple of days. NOTHING!! The wait is killing me and I get my hopes up every time I hear my iphone make a noise due to me receiving an email, only to be disappointed because it is not UMKC.

TM- thanks for the update! So, I guess this means that people who are going to get the later invite date have to wait even longer?? This is close to torture...:eek:

I got the email! I have an interview on March 27!! Check emails! I am sooooooo excited!!! I hope to see all of you!

Congrats tm!!!! You are gonna do great!
I'm going to be freaking out even more until I get my invitation or rejection letter now that I know they are sending them :eek:

I hope everyone gets theirs soon. I screamed when I saw the email! My husband looked at me like I was crazy until I told him what it was. Everyone had faith in me and I am so happy. My mom was yelling over the phone. It was so funny. My mother is a CRNA, so she has been where I am at right now. Let us know when you get the email!

Hi,
I got an interview invite for the 20th! YEA! So now I'm trying to figure out my travel arrangement--I might leave that Friday so I can get a good night's rest for that Saturday AM.

Sorry I won't get a chance to meet you TM, but I'm glad you got an invite too! :)))))

I hope everyone gets theirs soon. I screamed when I saw the email! My husband looked at me like I was crazy until I told him what it was. Everyone had faith in me and I am so happy. My mom was yelling over the phone. It was so funny. My mother is a CRNA, so she has been where I am at right now. Let us know when you get the email!

Hey guys! This was the only thread I could find for 2010 Fall applicants but if anyone knows of a better one, let me know! I just got my interview for 7:30 am on the 27th! Very exciting! I currently attend the University of Kansas though so I don't actually know very much about UMKC's program.

Does anyone know how many interviews they conduct?

Congrats to everyone who got interviews!

Hey guys! This was the only thread I could find for 2010 Fall applicants but if anyone knows of a better one, let me know! I just got my interview for 7:30 am on the 27th! Very exciting! I currently attend the University of Kansas though so I don't actually know very much about UMKC's program.

Does anyone know how many interviews they conduct?

Congrats to everyone who got interviews!

Congrats! They only have 2 interview dates. I hope to see you at the pre- party Friday night before interviews. My interview time is 9:30, so I will just miss you.

Hi,
I got an interview invite for the 20th! YEA! So now I'm trying to figure out my travel arrangement--I might leave that Friday so I can get a good night's rest for that Saturday AM.

Sorry I won't get a chance to meet you TM, but I'm glad you got an invite too! :)))))

Yeah!!! I am so excited you got an interview as well. I live in Texas, so I am glad that they gave me the 27th. I have to drive down with my husband and son. My mother lives in Olathe KS, so I will have a place to stay-so excited. I hope to meet you this fall (fingers crossed!)

have an interview the 27th as well; flying in from another interview on the 26th; will be a fun weekend;