Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats TM!!!! I'm so happy for you!!:)

I haven't heard anything yet....so we'll see..

Members don't see this ad.

I received my interview invite today also. 11 am on March 27th! Yay!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview the 27th at 7:30am!!:love:

I am so happy for you!!! Are you going to the party the night before the interviews? I will be there with my family. I am excited to meet you. Did you apply to the main campus of the satellite campus?

I'm going to the Pre-Interview event. I don't want to miss out on a single thing and I'm scared to death I won't get in because of something silly like that.

Can't wait to meet all of you. Hopefully we will all be classmates next year!

Does anyone know many they interview and how many do they take?

I'm going to the Pre-Interview event. I don't want to miss out on a single thing and I'm scared to death I won't get in because of something silly like that.

Can't wait to meet all of you. Hopefully we will all be classmates next year!

Does anyone know many they interview and how many do they take?

They have 2 interview dates-20th and the 27th. I was told from other threads that they interview about 200 people and they accept 120 people for the main campus and 28 people for the satellite program in Columbia (or somewhere around those numbers). So mainly everyone will get in and they will waitlist everyone else. I believe they pull probably around 20 people from the waitlist each year. I put my preference for the main campus. What campus did you sign up for?

I am so happy for you!!! Are you going to the party the night before the interviews? I will be there with my family. I am excited to meet you. Did you apply to the main campus of the satellite campus?

Tm- I will be there Friday night for the pre-interview party! I put both on my application, but I'm hoping for the satellite campus in Columbia!

I did the same thing. The pre-interview things isn't mandatory is it? I don't think I can come since I have to work that day, and I'm pretty short on my vacation days at this point. I hope not something they will evaluate on (i.e., mingling with other students, faculty, etc)...Otherwide i can't go...:(

Tm- I will be there Friday night for the pre-interview party! I put both on my application, but I'm hoping for the satellite campus in Columbia!

I did the same thing. The pre-interview things isn't mandatory is it? I don't think I can come since I have to work that day, and I'm pretty short on my vacation days at this point. I hope not something they will evaluate on (i.e., mingling with other students, faculty, etc)...Otherwide i can't go...:(

I seriously doubt that we will be evaluated at the party. It is more of a meet and greet. I am pretty sure that you might meet your interviewers at the party.

I put Columbia as my first choice and KC as my second. My husband will be in his last year of vet school and we would like to stay together, but if I get to go to KC, I'll take the offer.

If you can make it, then that's great. If not, it's ok. The first time I came here for an interview, I didn't come to the pre-interview party, but I did the second time around last March. Pretty much, it's not a party but rather giving yourself a self-tour of the new pharmacy building and the library. At least, you get an idea of how the setting is like, so you won't feel as nervous when you come in for an interview the next day. Plus, this gives you a chance to mingle with faculty members and other interviewees.

By the way, congrats on the interview invites everyone!

I haven't heard anything from the school yet...
I called the school around 1 o'clock and the lady who I spoke with said that each application is presented to the committee and then they decide if the applicant will receive an invite. She also said that they will have all the invites sent out by tomorrow afternoon. I have heard that if you aren't invited on the first day that they email out invitations, you aren't going to get one. Is no news really bad news? I'm really starting to get worried now, UMKC is my first choice, and I would greatly disappointed if I don't at least get an interview with them.

I called the school around 1 o'clock and the lady who I spoke with said that each application is presented to the committee and then they decide if the applicant will receive an invite. She also said that they will have all the invites sent out by tomorrow afternoon. I have heard that if you aren't invited on the first day that they email out invitations, you aren't going to get one. Is no news really bad news? I'm really starting to get worried now, UMKC is my first choice, and I would greatly disappointed if I don't at least get an interview with them.

I know that as they send out invites to people they fill the spots of people who declined with others, so don't loose hope!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can make it, then that's great. If not, it's ok. The first time I came here for an interview, I didn't come to the pre-interview party, but I did the second time around last March. Pretty much, it's not a party but rather giving yourself a self-tour of the new pharmacy building and the library. At least, you get an idea of how the setting is like, so you won't feel as nervous when you come in for an interview the next day. Plus, this gives you a chance to mingle with faculty members and other interviewees.

By the way, congrats on the interview invites everyone!

I have noticed your past posts and saw that you applied to UMKC twice. Each tine you were waitlisted. Do you know why? That kinda scares me a little. Thanks!

have an interview on the 27th also, looking forward to seeing everyone at party

I have noticed your past posts and saw that you applied to UMKC twice. Each tine you were waitlisted. Do you know why? That kinda scares me a little. Thanks!

I emailed one of the staff the summer after my 1st interview and she went over several factors such as my GPA, PCAT score, interview skills, and activities. I was slightly nervous at my 1st interview, so that played a factor a little bit. As for you right now, focus on your answers on the questionnaire and try to relax on the interview day because the interviewers are very friendly.

I also have an interview for the 27th at 11 a.m.

Paul1982. We will be interviewing together! Are you going to the preinterview party?

I was looking at the Interview Feedback forum and some of the responses were pretty old. Do you have to do an essay when you do your interview? Also, is the interview one-on-one, or in a group interview?

Have you received an invite yet?

I was looking at the Interview Feedback forum and some of the responses were pretty old. Do you have to do an essay when you do your interview? Also, is the interview one-on-one, or in a group interview?

Yes, there was an essay that you have to write or type on the computer in 30 minutes. The interview is a 3-on-1: 2 faculty members and 1 pharmacy student.

Yes, there was an essay that you have to write or type on the computer in 30 minutes. The interview is a 3-on-1: 2 faculty members and 1 pharmacy student.

So how does UMKC determine who is getting in: now that we have received interview invites, is it now just based on the result of the interview or are they going to look at everything all over again? Are they going to factor the interview as well as the GPA and PCAT the second time around to determine acceptances? The reason why I am asking is because I am solid everywhere else except my PCAT score. Let's say that I do great in the interview. Knowing my background is excellent and knowing that my PCAT score is not so great, can they reject me after the interview based on my PCAT score? I am just REALLY scared!!!

I have been eagerly waiting for an invite from UMKC and haven't received one. It was my first choice since I wouldn't have to move. Anywhoo!!! good luck to you all on your interviews.

So how does UMKC determine who is getting in: now that we have received interview invites, is it now just based on the result of the interview or are they going to look at everything all over again? Are they going to factor the interview as well as the GPA and PCAT the second time around to determine acceptances? The reason why I am asking is because I am solid everywhere else except my PCAT score. Let's say that I do great in the interview. Knowing my background is excellent and knowing that my PCAT score is not so great, can they reject me after the interview based on my PCAT score? I am just REALLY scared!!!

Honestly, I don't know the answer to that question. I can tell you that they don't reject you after the interview, but will place you on the alternate list if you don't initially get accepted even if you're at the bottom of the list...say #60, for example. You probably know that they normally pull about 20 people from the alternate list each year. When I emailed the staff almost 2 years ago after I got placed on the alternate list the first time, she mentioned that the average PCAT composite was a mid-60. I forgot the exact number, but it's somewhere around there (sorry, it's been a while). Don't worry too much because I think you have a decent chance of getting in, assuming that you're going to do well at the interview. :)

cinnamoroll12 how did u know that u were on the waitlist?

cinnamoroll12 how did u know that u were on the waitlist?

Oh, I applied twice in a row for the past 2 years, so these are just my personal experiences I've had with them. I'm a first year pharmacy student at another school.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to that question. I can tell you that they don't reject you after the interview, but will place you on the alternate list if you don't initially get accepted even if you're at the bottom of the list...say #60, for example. You probably know that they normally pull about 20 people from the alternate list each year. When I emailed the staff almost 2 years ago after I got placed on the alternate list the first time, she mentioned that the average PCAT composite was a mid-60. I forgot the exact number, but it's somewhere around there (sorry, it's been a while). Don't worry too much because I think you have a decent chance of getting in, assuming that you're going to do well at the interview. :)

Prior to the interview, your admission status is pretty much already set and determined. The interview is just to assert their decision on where you stand. Unlike some other programs, the interview and written essay is not as vital as your profile. In other words, you don't need to stress that much about your interview. As cinnamoroll stated, you will be placed on the waitlist if you aren't accepted. They will give you your exact position on where you stand on the list.

I have yet to hear anything yet from the school... I have emailed them and haven't received a reply. :confused:

I have yet to hear anything yet from the school... I have emailed them and haven't received a reply. :confused:

You are probably in the buffer zone. What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

You are probably in the buffer zone. What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

3.5 gpa
PCAT
69 va
84 bio
70 rc
69 chem
59 qa
71 comp
1 year retail and hospital pharm exp.
Raising 2 kids

3.5 gpa
PCAT
69 va
84 bio
70 rc
69 chem
59 qa
71 comp
1 year retail and hospital pharm exp.
Raising 2 kids

Your stats are not bad. You still haven't received an interview invite? That's just weird!! I hope that you can still make it. Good luck.

Congrats tm!!!! You are gonna do great!
I'm going to be freaking out even more until I get my invitation or rejection letter now that I know they are sending them :eek:

Have you received an invite yet? I haven't heard from you and I am getting worried. I made friends on this UMKC post and I would like to see all of us get in this fall. Let me know.

Have you received an invite yet? I haven't heard from you and I am getting worried. I made friends on this UMKC post and I would like to see all of us get in this fall. Let me know.

No, no invite :(, but no rejection letter yet either.
Stats:
3.2 GPA
95 PCAT
2+ years retail experience
Bio professor and pharmacist LOR's
Single parent of 1

I didn't think they were too bad...most of my coursework has been community college; maybe that has something to do with it. Applied to Creighton Distance as well but no word from them either. Doesn't help that PharmCAS has created somewhat of a fiasco with my transcripts, but that's another story entirely...I'm thinking I'm not going to get into pharmacy school this time around.
Congrats to everyone who got interviews, and good luck!

Last edited:
PharmerJones,

Your stats look great. I am pretty sure that you can get into some school with those stats. Do you have any extracurriculars? That might be what's hurting you. UMKC does not participate in PharmCAS; did the school get all of your transcripts? You might want to call and ask. I hope you get accepted into either pharmacy school. I wish you the best!

I have not heard anything either, so I am hoping they are not done sending out invites.

PharmerJones,

Your stats look great. I am pretty sure that you can get into some school with those stats. Do you have any extracurriculars? That might be what's hurting you. UMKC does not participate in PharmCAS; did the school get all of your transcripts? You might want to call and ask. I hope you get accepted into either pharmacy school. I wish you the best!

Thanks for that! They have received my transcripts now, but I had to have them re-sent. PharmCAS somehow ended up with an extra transcript entry for one school I've attended, and no entry for another...seems to me that one set was entered under the wrong institution but I had them resent, though I may have missed my deadline. I'm sure that if I had the option of applying to 5 or 10 different schools like a lot of people do, that I could get in somewhere but with my son I can't just uproot and move to a strange town where we have no family, at least I think it would be quite detrimental to him. Anyhow, I'll just try again next year (for Creighton and possibly KU, since no UMKC program) and hope for the best!

I have not heard anything either, so I am hoping they are not done sending out invites.

Hey, aren't you the one that just got back from Afghanistan? How did it go? I hope that you get an invite soon. I received mine last Wednesday.

Thanks for that! They have received my transcripts now, but I had to have them re-sent. PharmCAS somehow ended up with an extra transcript entry for one school I've attended, and no entry for another...seems to me that one set was entered under the wrong institution but I had them resent, though I may have missed my deadline. I'm sure that if I had the option of applying to 5 or 10 different schools like a lot of people do, that I could get in somewhere but with my son I can't just uproot and move to a strange town where we have no family, at least I think it would be quite detrimental to him. Anyhow, I'll just try again next year (for Creighton and possibly KU, since no UMKC program) and hope for the best!

I am sorry to hear that. I feel bad that you have not heard anything. One of the main reasons for applying to UMKC is because all of my family are in KC area. My mother has offered to take care of all my expenses while my husband and I go to school. We have a 3 year old, so I know how hard it can be with a child. Imagine two parents in the military and having a child-my husband and I have experienced that for almost 4 years. After May, no more military and I am happy. It's hard work. Keep me posted on your updates.

Yeah I got back from Afghanistan in December. I interviewed with UC Denver, and Nebraska, so I think I will be alright. Still waiting to hear from KU.

keep in mind that they look highly on students with degrees as well;

keep in mind that they look highly on students with degrees as well;

Very true. By this time next year I will have a 4-year degree which will surely make me a more competitive applicant to any program :rolleyes:

I am sorry to hear that. I feel bad that you have not heard anything. One of the main reasons for applying to UMKC is because all of my family are in KC area. My mother has offered to take care of all my expenses while my husband and I go to school. We have a 3 year old, so I know how hard it can be with a child. Imagine two parents in the military and having a child-my husband and I have experienced that for almost 4 years. After May, no more military and I am happy. It's hard work. Keep me posted on your updates.

Rejection letter today--it's official. It just wasn't meant to be this time. tm, I really have to commend you for your accomplishments with all of that on your plate: college, military (awesome--thanks for serving our country :thumbup:), and a family. I truly wish the best for you and your husband in all your endeavors, academic and otherwise. I'm glad you are blessed with a support system to help you get through school to make a good life for you and your baby. I also applied to UMKC because my whole family is in the KC area; it would be impossible to do anything like this without family. I really think you will get in to the UMKC program. Definitely let us know how everything goes!

Sorry to hear you were rejected PharmerJones.

To those of you with an interview (And who are unfamiliar with the area) you should definitely go to the Plaza and eat at one of their fine establishments. I would personally recommend The Plaza III steakhouse *though it's pricey* or Fiorella's Jack Stack. The Plaza is gorgeous, and pretty close to UMKC. :)

Rejection letter today--it's official. It just wasn't meant to be this time. tm, I really have to commend you for your accomplishments with all of that on your plate: college, military (awesome--thanks for serving our country :thumbup:), and a family. I truly wish the best for you and your husband in all your endeavors, academic and otherwise. I'm glad you are blessed with a support system to help you get through school to make a good life for you and your baby. I also applied to UMKC because my whole family is in the KC area; it would be impossible to do anything like this without family. I really think you will get in to the UMKC program. Definitely let us know how everything goes!

Whaaaatt!!! I am beyond sad! I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. I thank you for all of your blessings. I wish you the best of luck in everything that you do. It is great to have a support system and everything will work out for you in the end. Don't give up! I am sad that I will not be able to meet you, but I am happy that I made a friend on this forum. PharmerJones, you are one sweet person.

Last edited:
Well I got two kinds of news today...got the mail today had my rejection letter from UMKC. Just checked my email and have the acceptance email from UC Denver!

Well I got two kinds of news today...got the mail today had my rejection letter from UMKC. Just checked my email and have the acceptance email from UC Denver!

The good thing is that you got in somewhere. Congrats.

Thanks,
it is also great when you get accepted to one of your top choices!

Did anyone interview today and go the gathering last night? How was the interview?

I went to the pre-interview party last night and interviewed this morning at 9:30. Overall, both went great. The pre interview party was definitely a good way to meet other students, as well as faculty. Everyone was extremely nice! I had never been to the pharmacy school before, and I was surprised at how nice it was! I go to Mizzou right now, and I think its safe to say that there isn't a building on campus (that I have been in) that is as nice as the Pharmacy School.

When I got to the interview, the first thing we did was wait in the cafe and fill out a survey. At 10 we went upstairs and had 30 minutes to write the essay. Right after the essay we all went to the floor we were interviewing on, and someone was waiting for us to take us to our interview room. The interview itself is pretty laid back. As long as you relax and think about the questions for a little bit before you answer them, you have nothing to worry about. All of the people on my interview panel were very nice, and seemed pretty interested in what I had to say.

Overall, the process is a lot less intimidating than I thought it would be. My advice-- go to the pre interview party, and just relax. Good luck!