Quantcast

Ummm...

Join BeMo Premed MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incognito12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so here's my deal (just looking for a little advice): I started out college wanting to be a pharmacist, and ended up going to a community college to hammer out some of my pre-req's. Well after working as a pharmacy tech for about a year and a half now, I've come to the conclusion that med school is where I ultimately would love to end up.

My problem: getting there.

All of the classes I have taken thus far are also pre-req's for med school. Is the fact that I am currently at a community college going to hurt my chances? I am looking to transfer to a university after this up-coming year, but I'm still not sure where I'm headed.

Just looking for a little advice on what I should be doing to be on track for medical school I guess...

Powdermonkey

ninja doctor in training
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so here's my deal (just looking for a little advice): I started out college wanting to be a pharmacist, and ended up going to a community college to hammer out some of my pre-req's. Well after working as a pharmacy tech for about a year and a half now, I've come to the conclusion that med school is where I ultimately would love to end up.

My problem: getting there.

All of the classes I have taken thus far are also pre-req's for med school. Is the fact that I am currently at a community college going to hurt my chances? I am looking to transfer to a university after this up-coming year, but I'm still not sure where I'm headed.

Just looking for a little advice on what I should be doing to be on track for medical school I guess...
As long as you take some upper level science classes at the Uni, you should be fine. I got my degree from a 4 year school, then came back and finished pre-reqs at a CC by my house cause it was cheaper. They understand stuff like that. Just do very well in all your classes and you should be fine.

Ki45toryu

In this corner...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did CC for a year....not a single MD or DO school asked me about it. Not to say they may not, but it is not necessarily a hurdle either.

REM12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your situation is not unusual. It makes no difference where you take your classes. Just do well in your pre-reqs, get a BA or BS and take the MCAT your senior year, do some ECs (shadowing, volunteering etc) and you'll be fine. Most of all, enjoy your undergrad years.

incognito12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright that sounds promising. Well I'm planning on transferring to a university after 2 years at the community college.
I will have a lot of my science classes done because I was pre-pharm.
I just got a job at a hospital near where I live as a pharmacy tech too. Will a MD or DO school see that as legit experience in a hospital... if you know where I'm going with that?

REM12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The pharm tech experience will be good to have. You may want to consider getting some direct patient care experience as well, particularly for the DO schools. Do some shadowing and volunteer. Also, community service activities are a plus. Some DO schools ask directly about your community service experience. Besides, shouldn't anyone who is in the position to become a doctor give some time to those who need help?

And start collecting LORs now while your pre req profs know you well. Good luck. And know that once Ochem is over and you take it on your MCAT, you'll never see it again :) (although admittedly I loved it, but I'm a dork :hardy:)

tlvuong4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright that sounds promising. Well I'm planning on transferring to a university after 2 years at the community college.
I will have a lot of my science classes done because I was pre-pharm.
I just got a job at a hospital near where I live as a pharmacy tech too. Will a MD or DO school see that as legit experience in a hospital... if you know where I'm going with that?

I think your job as a pharm tech is fine. A lot of people have business jobs or retail jobs. Tell them what you learned and how it might help you as a physician. Nothing wrong with making money whatever field it may be in. In addition, I would get a volunteer position where you would be working with doctors, the nursing staff, and patients. That will give you good clinical experience.

CDO2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry, I know people that got in from a community college. Just as long as you keep your grades up you should be fine