Umn Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellorose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
first of all CONGRATUALTIONS :hardy::hardy:to all who made it through and im sure there arent too many of us ..
but i have so many questions and would love to get to know my classmates better
so write in her and lets discuss abt the loans ,housing etc
can someone please give me the contact email id of the financial advisor???????

Members don't see this ad.

HelloRose, Thank you for opening this thread. We do need this.

Would be good if some of our seniors who are already in the UMN pass program can respond to our questions, give their experiences and guide us. I hope they will find some time.

Anyone with loan information, please post some info. The sticky thread regarding loans etc has some information but is little old I guess.

My Visa status: Was on H4 (dependant) but got the EAD and Travel doc(advance parole). Husband on H1 and got 140 approved. No green card yet.

Housing: Have some friends in Minneapolis and they told a decent single bed rm is 900 and 2 bed rm will be 1100 or so. Roughly in that range. The apts will be around 20-30min drive from dental school. Downtown furnished housing (close to school) is around 600-700 when you share with other students I believe.

Commute: Minn has a very good public transportation system.

Will update this thread as I find more information and hope others will do the same.

Eager to meet my classmates.

Congrats to those who got accepted and good luck to those waiting.

Accomodation - 1 bdr that I and another friend live in is at $650. Both of us live about 10 minutes (walking distance) from school. She lives in Dinky town and I live southeast of the school. Couple other classmates live in Roseville - a 15 minute drive to school. Rent is about $700 - $750 (1 bdr). One other lives close to Downtown - nice place (~$1000). You have to come down here mid April and look for places. You will get pretty good ones. Others have family here and live at about an hour's commute from school.

Loans - Contact Rockne Bergman. Depending on your visa status he will let you know what kind of loans you can apply to.

I have got to go now. Will give you some more details later tonight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Collect as many sound teeth as you can for endo. Put them in formalin.

thank you so much g3k ...we really need seniors like you to guide us as we are so clueless
im presently on a vacation ,,i just wanted to know can we apply for federal loans by fafsa online and is it possible to do everything online as i will not be in US for a long time,,,the person you mentioned is there any contact email id you have of that person..?
im planning to call janet today and get some info on this as i do not want to be late in applying for the loans..

thank you so much g3k ...we really need seniors like you to guide us as we are so clueless
im presently on a vacation ,,i just wanted to know can we apply for federal loans by fafsa online and is it possible to do everything online as i will not be in US for a long time,,,the person you mentioned is there any contact email id you have of that person..?
im planning to call janet today and get some info on this as i do not want to be late in applying for the loans..

hellorose, please search for "Rockne Bergman" in google and you will find the email and phone number. I sent email to him requesting loan information based on my visa status etc.

Accomodation - 1 bdr that I and another friend live in is at $650. Both of us live about 10 minutes (walking distance) from school. She lives in Dinky town and I live southeast of the school. Couple other classmates live in Roseville - a 15 minute drive to school. Rent is about $700 - $750 (1 bdr). One other lives close to Downtown - nice place (~$1000). You have to come down here mid April and look for places. You will get pretty good ones. Others have family here and live at about an hour's commute from school.

Loans - Contact Rockne Bergman. Depending on your visa status he will let you know what kind of loans you can apply to.

Are these sharing student type apts? I was mentioning about the apts that a family can live in.

hi g3k
im currently in india
i wanted to know is there anything that i will require there in coll that i can get frm india..like books? instruments ?immunisation records or anythin else that i should get from here before i come to us.another thing which teeth do we need for endo work/?
it would be grt if you let me kno
really appreciate all the help thanksssssss

Are these sharing student type apts? I was mentioning about the apts that a family can live in.

You can share them too. We all live by ourselves o with family. None of us share.

hi g3k
im currently in india
i wanted to know is there anything that i will require there in coll that i can get frm india..like books? instruments ?immunisation records or anythin else that i should get from here before i come to us.another thing which teeth do we need for endo work/?
it would be grt if you let me kno
really appreciate all the help thanksssssss

Yes... get as many sound extracted teeth as you can. The only issue would be if customs would let you bring those into the US.

hey ksr,
did u get the immunisation records ..its so much in detail i dont even remember the dates when i got them

hey ksr,
did u get the immunisation records ..its so much in detail i dont even remember the dates when i got them

I am working on those. I got immunization stuff done recently for my 485 application. Will compare those to what umn is asking and then see what I need.

It is surprising that only you and I are talking in this thread. What happened to the rest of the UMN PASS class of 2010? Thanks to G3K for helping us out.

Some more info on start days.
Was told that summer for PASS students starts on Apr 28th and ends on Aug8th. Fall starts from Sept9th. The acceptance letter packet doesn't have info abt start dates etc.

Text books etc - http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/programs_admissions/DDS/course_info/class_schedules.html

You can apply for 'private sponsor loan' student loan from access group (www.accessgroup.org select Find a Loan>StudentLoanFinder>Dental/International>"Sponsored Access Loan" for students who don't have good credit history themselves; or "Comp Access Loan" for those students who have good credit history themselves). Co-signer need not be a US citizen or GC holder. They will ask for your passport when you say that yoru GC is in progress. If the co-signer's credit score is excellent, then the interest rate will be 7.88 (Libor- 5.13% + 2.75%). The loan process will take approx 1-2 weeks. hope that helps.

hey ksr ,i also heard about the dates its starting sooooooo soon ..
it s suprising there only 2 of us here i know lucky87 also is joining but havent heard from her ....
as regards the books do we need to buy them?or will the college provide it?
are u done with the loan application ,,,i havent started it yet ..nothing is done

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
Just completed my immunisation records and sent it to Ms.Janet. I think I need to get additional tests done, atleast that what the RN told me. I think you can try getting to your health provider and getting a blood test done that would show what immunizations you already have, or if you know for certain that you don't have immunizations, try taking them and getting a written reciept for it. That should help with getting the form done.
Zsy_LZY, I am not a green card holder and I have no idea of the FAFSA form. Try calling Rokne Bergman to get help with it.
Good Luck!!

Hey Guys,
Just completed my immunisation records and sent it to Ms.Janet. I think I need to get additional tests done, atleast that what the RN told me. I think you can try getting to your health provider and getting a blood test done that would show what immunizations you already have, or if you know for certain that you don't have immunizations, try taking them and getting a written reciept for it. That should help with getting the form done.
Zsy_LZY, I am not a green card holder and I have no idea of the FAFSA form. Try calling Rokne Bergman to get help with it.
Good Luck!!

thank you for your help,,ksr,,can't wait to meet you in the class...

have you guys find out a place to live in minneapolis???

thanks..

rain

Happy to say that I am also in the UMN Pass class of 2010.
I'm frm India and planning to move to Minneapolis with my husband and child.
anyone else moving there with family?
i already filled out my fafsa for 2007-2008 and completed all my immunization stuff.
my husband is trying to find a job in IT in minneapolis as well as find apt for us.
how r u all looking for apts? any one sign lease yet? are you planning on having a car there? parking by the shcool is very expensive.
congrats to all those accepted in the prgm

Happy to say that I am also in the UMN Pass class of 2010.
I'm frm India and planning to move to Minneapolis with my husband and child.
anyone else moving there with family?
i already filled out my fafsa for 2007-2008 and completed all my immunization stuff.
my husband is trying to find a job in IT in minneapolis as well as find apt for us.
how r u all looking for apts? any one sign lease yet? are you planning on having a car there? parking by the shcool is very expensive.
congrats to all those accepted in the prgm

Welcome. We are also moving to MSP (Minneapolis airport code). We have to find an apartment. Hopefully nearby school. Planning to go there before school starts and look for apt etc. Planning to contact G3K to get more information about apts. I can't handle cold temperatures and hopefully will be able to live close to univ and use its indoor tunnel and walkway system. Husband is in IT too. MSP has many big IT firms etc and I hope your hub will find a job soon.
Sent immunization docs, but the health sciences dept wants me to take the 2 step PPD too. Private sponsor Loan process is going on. Don't have GC yet, so can't go for the fafsa (am I right?).

Tuition for 1st yr pass is 67.5K and 2nd year is about 60K I guess. There may be slight differences.

Do they (10min walking distance ones) have 2 and 3 bed rooms too? How much are they? Can I talk to you on phone to get more information? If yes, can you please send your number via pm. thx.

hey welcome maludent and zsy_lzy, its good to finally find more students here other than me an ksr,
u guys have done so much and i havent started anything..im in my home town and cant do anything till i reach US,,
i got an email from janet regarding scrubs have to look thru that ,,havent completed my immunization records yet,,
As for tuition fee no idea all my documents left in US so cant help in that regard..
federal loan i will be applying but i wanted to know can we apply online for it..its so complex ..

glad to see you here,,hellorose..
i am gonna order 4 sets of scrubs from janet..
today i went to governmen clinic to do the immunization,,,totally free....
i found the sheet about the tuition fee..it is a huge money!!!! i am gonna in debt for many years...
i plan to apply for the federal loan tomorrow.. let see what happen..

love,
rain

glad to see you here,,hellorose..
i am gonna order 4 sets of scrubs from janet..
today i went to governmen clinic to do the immunization,,,totally free....
i found the sheet about the tuition fee..it is a huge money!!!! i am gonna in debt for many years...
i plan to apply for the federal loan tomorrow.. let see what happen..

love,
rain

Rain brother

Congrats!!! on getting into UMN!! Great program - you will love it. I am so happy for you, you have always helped out fellow SDNers, You deserve it. So the famous banana dance for you
:banana::banana:

Dentalbug

dear dental bug,,

glad to hear from you!! where have you been?? how are you??

it is been a long time since i struggled to get in...

thanks you for your wish..

say hi to your husband,,and happy 2008!!

rain

dear dental bug,,

glad to hear from you!! where have you been?? how are you??

it is been a long time since i struggled to get in...

thanks you for your wish..

say hi to your husband,,and happy 2008!!

rain

I am on a long vacation in India :). Just checking SDN to see and help fellow SNDers.

good luck

i was filling the fafsa form online yest ..
i had few questions.
1) which session do we have to do it for? 2007-2008? only

2)abt our bank balance ,does it matter how much we add like should it be alot or little?

i was filling the fafsa form online yest ..
i had few questions.
1) which session do we have to do it for? 2007-2008? only

2)abt our bank balance ,does it matter how much we add like should it be alot or little?

i will try to fill it tomorrow...

we have to fill out 2007-2008 and 2008-2009..

a lot of file for me to fill out....

so far we have these names 5 ppl who have taken admission

hellorose
ksr
maludent
lucky87(?)
rain

so far we have these names 6 ppl who have taken admission

hellorose
ksr
maludent
lucky87(?)
rain
dental bug

hello rose,
how are you doing?
sorry to dissapoint you, but dental bug will be my classmate at UIC;)

btw, rain, Congrats!!! UMN is a great place to be(as far as i read on the SDN:))so, good luck! and buy a lot of warm clothes, you'll need them:laugh:

hello rose,
how are you doing?
sorry to dissapoint you, but dental bug will be my classmate at UIC;)

btw, rain, Congrats!!! UMN is a great place to be(as far as i read on the SDN:))so, good luck! and buy a lot of warm clothes, you'll need them:laugh:

hi,starry,,

it is a pity that i can not go to chicago to be your classmate..

but i love umn best....doctor peter is really cool!!!!

happy 2008 to you,,and say hi to anna maria for me..

love,
rain

hellorose

sorry, but starry is right, I am going to UIC :)

Good luck at UMN - lzy is there so you guys will have fun

Good Luck

We all graduate in 2010 :)
Keep in touch

Dentalbug

hey dentalbug
sorry abt that my bad......
so we got only 5 students now..
i got a mesg from janet asking permission to share my info with other classmates so i will now get to know how many of us r there
i have submitted my fafsa 2007-8 ...do we have to do 2008-2009 one too rt now???
hey starry,,
me doing grt :luck:
still enjoying my trip in India:hardy:

hi maludent,
I have a 6month old baby too..how old is urs and how do u plan to study with him ..i dont know how il manage...have to look into my options once i reach MN

hey dentalbug
i got a mesg from janet asking permission to share my info with other classmates so i will now get to know how many of us r there
i have submitted my fafsa 2007-8 ...do we have to do 2008-2009 one too rt now???
hey starry,,

hi maludent,
I have a 6month old baby too..how old is urs and how do u plan to study with him ..i dont know how il manage...have to look into my options once i reach MN

we dont have to fill out 2008-2009 right now..

hey dentalbug
hey starry,,

hi maludent,

No worries hellorose, thanks to god, plan is to be dds by 2010 for all of us UIC and umn people.

I am enjoying my trip in india as well.

Dentalbug

hi,guy,,

I have sent out the application for 2007-2008 federal loan..

And I got a report from FAFSA ..

But I dont know the amount that cover by federal loan,,so I am not sure I can

pay for the tuition fee on time..

Anybody has any idea about the federal Loan?

Any Inputs will be appreciated..

Love,

Rain

h i rain
i remember on our interview the finance guy saying that fafsa covers us 100%..but the amout that we have to pay now ie12k is from our own personal savings..i know some ppl take other private loans to pay the extra amt...
by the way how much is our tuition fee????????

Tuition mentioned in the admission letter or interview packet is 67.5K for 2008-2009 (only tuition - not living etc). But the correct tuition amount for Summer and the first year of PASS has not yet been decided by the dept as per Financial dept (Rockne Bergmen).
Also please note that the loan amount (tuition etc) will be approved by the school (financial dept) only after we are fully admitted and registered in the school which will be in April. Till then we have to pay the fees (all the installments before Summer starts) ourselves. This was mentioned by Rockne in the presentation to interviewees.

G3K I am planning to visit MSP on Mar 14th to look for apts etc. Can I meet you during that visit to get some information regarding apts and any other useful information? Please send your contact information in a PM. thx.

h i rain
i remember on our interview the finance guy saying that fafsa covers us 100%..but the amout that we have to pay now ie12k is from our own personal savings..i know some ppl take other private loans to pay the extra amt...
by the way how much is our tuition fee????????

thanks tons to you ,,,hello rose..

rain

Tuition mentioned in the admission letter or interview packet is 67.5K for 2008-2009 (only tuition - not living etc). But the correct tuition amount for Summer and the first year of PASS has not yet been decided by the dept as per Financial dept (Rockne Bergmen).
Also please note that the loan amount (tuition etc) will be approved by the school (financial dept) only after we are fully admitted and registered in the school which will be in April. Till then we have to pay the fees (all the installments before Summer starts) ourselves. This was mentioned by Rockne in the presentation to interviewees.

G3K I am planning to visit MSP on Mar 14th to look for apts etc. Can I meet you during that visit to get some information regarding apts and any other useful information? Please send your contact information in a PM. thx.

thanks tons to you,,ksr..

rain

hey guys now that we know who all our classmates r we should open a yahoo grp to discuss everything......wat say???????????

hello rain
i think u should form the new yahoo grp as im now not certain if im joining
i loveeeeeeeeee umn so much but there r so many other factors to consider

hi,,hellorose..

i dont know how to create a yahoo group...
i prefer to talk to each other on msn messenger..hahaha..

i love umn the best...

you should take everything into consideration and always choose the most suitable for you....

best wishes to you..

rain

hey

hellorose, i see your confusion, but look at the pros and cons from g3k's old post, which may help you. :)

Also, like rain said choose what is best for you

Finally, Choose Wisely :)

later

Dentalbug