UMN (OOS) vs CU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMN vs CU

• UMN

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • CU

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

CARAT4.0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
School 1: University of Minnesota
Pros:
  • Lower cost of living
  • The student body seemed nice and friendly
  • More diversity
Cons:
  • Tuition is higher
  • Too cold
  • During the interview, a current student said that they do not have the newest technologies
School 2: University of Colorado
Pros:
  • Lower tuition
  • Better weather, less snow
  • Current students during the interview said they get more opportunities with complex cases than students from other schools because they only have 2 specialties programs at the school (so they can work on the cases that will go to residents at other schools).
Cons:
  • Higher cost of living
  • Did not get a great vibe from the school (the student body seems less supportive)
  • Less research opportunities
  • Don't know anyone who goes to the school, so I have limited information about CU
Summary: I haven't decided whether I want to specialize or be a GP in the future. What are the reputations of these schools? How are they clinically?

Members don't see this ad.

Pros:
  • Lower cost of living
  • More diversity
Cons:
  • Tuition is higher
  • Too cold
  • During the interview, a current student said that they do not have the newest technologies
Pros:
  • Lower tuition
  • Current students during the interview said they get more opportunities with complex cases than students from other schools because they only have 2 specialties programs at the school (so they can work on the cases that will go to residents at other schools).
Cons:
  • Higher cost of living
  • Did not get a great vibe from the school (the student body seems less supportive)
  • Don't know anyone who goes to the school, so I have limited information about CU
Summary: I haven't decided whether I want to specialize or be a GP in the future. What are the reputations of these schools? How are they clinically?
cheaper

i have stats from 2019 that say total cost of attendance for uminn oos is $490,500 and colorado oos is $402,200
don't just look at tuition, always look at COA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CU; UofM is one of the most expensive schools to attend if you are an out of state resident. Also, I think Cost of Living will be about the same in Minnesota or Colorado

Pros:
  • Lower cost of living
  • More diversity
Cons:
  • Tuition is higher
  • Too cold
Pros:
  • Lower tuition
Cons:
  • Higher cost of living
which school is closer to friends/family?
which one is closer to where you wish to practice in the future?

which school is closer to friends/family?
which one is closer to where you wish to practice in the future?
They are equally far away from home for me as I'm from another country, and I still haven't set up my mind for my future yet. Maybe I will go back to Canada to practice in the future.

We have a good amount of Canadian students at UMN. I can't be certain, but I'd imagine dentists in Canada will be familiar with students graduating from UMN as it borders Canada. I'm not certain about Colorado. Both schools will train you to be a competent general dentist. UMN has almost all the specialties available so if you want to specialize, you would be able to get some exposure.

Reactions: 1 users