Unable to come in contact with letter writer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mynameis1324

Reaction score
I am a bit worried now because I realized that I did not assign enough STEM professor letters to some of the schools I applied to (a medical school emailed me today asking about it). I had an extra STEM professor write me one last year, but I was worried it would be weak and did not request it again. Now that it is apparent I need it (I checked through MSAR and 4 other schools I applied to also need me to send one more STEM professor letter) I tried to come in contact with her but noticed she left my university and her school email is inactive. I found her on Linkedin and messaged her there. If she never responds what are my realistic options? I am starting my second gap year and doubt my other professors remember me at this point

Members don't see this ad.

If you do not have any other letter writer in mind, you will not be able to apply to those schools unfortunately. 2 STEM letters is the general rule of thumb to cover your bases. If you did research in the sciences, a PI letter may be able to substitute at some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Contact your other professors. If they don't remember you, you can refresh their memory, tell them a bit about yourself, send them your CV, etc. They can still write you a letter. I went to a large school with anywhere from hundreds to over a thousand people in a course at one time. Our profs never even knew us so they didn't even have a chance to forget us. We still got letters.

It may not be your strongest letter, but at least it will get your app through at those schools.